Caloric Deficit.

Options
I'm not sure I understand fully how this deficit work. The simple part of it, ie "burn more calories than you consume" I get that. What about if I exercise? I do spin at least 5 days a week, sometimes all 7, I love spin! My concern is, since I'm spinning and burning over 500 calories...should I even take those into consideration when looking at my total for the day in order to calculate my deficit??

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,020 Member
    Options
    If you used mfp to get your goal it does not include exercise. You should add that exercise and eat back at least a portion of the calories burned. If you used a TDEE calculator to get your goal then that includes exercise so you do not add the exercise or eat the extra calories since they are already accounted for.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    kaimemo wrote: »
    I'm not sure I understand fully how this deficit work. The simple part of it, ie "burn more calories than you consume" I get that. What about if I exercise? I do spin at least 5 days a week, sometimes all 7, I love spin! My concern is, since I'm spinning and burning over 500 calories...should I even take those into consideration when looking at my total for the day in order to calculate my deficit??

If you're using MFP the way it is designed, the calculator will calculate a calorie target for you based on your stated goals and inputs...it is your deficit. Exercise activity is not included in your activity level with the MFP method...you account for exercise after the fact by logging it and "earning" additional calories.

Other people utilize the TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) method where by which you do estimate exercise activity in your activity level and thus have an inherently higher calorie target, but you wouldn't then log any exercise as it is already accounted for in your activity level.

Why would you think that exercise doesn't "count" in your overall expenditure?

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options

How on earth would it make sense not to????
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    If you need to burn more calories than you eat, and you burn calories by exercising, what does math say about what you should do?
  • kaimemo
    kaimemo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

If you're using MFP the way it is designed, the calculator will calculate a calorie target for you based on your stated goals and inputs...it is your deficit. Exercise activity is not included in your activity level with the MFP method...you account for exercise after the fact by logging it and "earning" additional calories.

Other people utilize the TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) method where by which you do estimate exercise activity in your activity level and thus have an inherently higher calorie target, but you wouldn't then log any exercise as it is already accounted for in your activity level.

Thank you.. I didn't realize that the number of calories allowed according to MFP was already "my deficit". I thought it was total for maintenance and not weightloss. I'm hoping to lose weight. Thank you for clearing that up.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Thank you.. I didn't realize that the number of calories allowed according to MFP was already "my deficit". I thought it was total for maintenance and not weightloss. I'm hoping to lose weight. Thank you for clearing that up.

It's only maintenance if your stated goal is "maintain"...if it's loss, it will calculate your deficit target based on the rate you specify...if it's gain, it will calculate a surplus target as per the rate you specify.
  • kaimemo
    Options

It's only maintenance if your stated goal is "maintain"...if it's loss, it will calculate your deficit target based on the rate you specify...if it's gain, it will calculate a surplus target as per the rate you specify.

Thank you. I appreciate your help.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    If you need to burn more calories than you eat, and you burn calories by exercising, what does math say about what you should do?

D) there would be no math ...
  • kaimemo
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

D) there would be no math ...

I see