Meeting an equilibrium point with calories -

Options
priyul1000
priyul1000 Posts: 13 Member
edited November 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello!

Recently, due to it been my grandfathers birthday, my whole family had met up at his house and stayed over for a few days to celebrate it. However, while I was there, I let myself go and indulged alot of sweet treats (Cakes, Cupcakes, Roast Turkey, etc) and after logging it in MFP at the end of the day, I had gone about 500 calories over for each day! (Total of around 1650 calories over). So I decided that It would eat 200 calories or so less than what I usually eat per day (1600 dropped down to 1400) for about 8-9 days to create a deflict of 1650 to equalize the excess calories.

My question is, does this make sense? And will it help me lose whatever excess I had put on? All responses are greatly appreciated! Apologies if this sounds silly, just don't want to let a years worth of work go to waste.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    That's exactly how it works. Well done.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Yeah thatd be fine. Its the reverse of saving up calories for holidays which most people here do XD Calories are calories whenever they come in/go out aslong as you keep to your goals long term your golden
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    This would be fine - many people go by a weekly calorie deficit rather than a daily one, which allows them to eat more on certain days and less on others to make up for it.

However, since it is after the fact, it may be easier for you to just move on and continue at your normal deficit. If your goal is 1 lb per week, that extra ~500 calories will just add up to your maintenance number for those days, so you will not gain weight or anything because of those excess calories.

The choice is yours, though. Just whatever you feel more comfortable with.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    This would be fine - many people go by a weekly calorie deficit rather than a daily one, which allows them to eat more on certain days and less on others to make up for it.

However, since it is after the fact, it may be easier for you to just move on and continue at your normal deficit. If your goal is 1 lb per week, that extra ~500 calories will just add up to your maintenance number for those days, so you will not gain weight or anything because of those excess calories.

The choice is yours, though. Just whatever you feel more comfortable with.

I would like to up vote this option. It may set you back a week of weight loss to simply overlook being over your calorie goal for a few days, but some people (myself especially) struggle with the "make it up" mentality. (Often leads me to binge eat if I feel I'm restricted, which set me back even further. So I'm usually better off to move on as normal.)
    I do practice calorie banking for coming events, but usually working it backwards get in my head.
    If it works for you, awesome! If you struggle, don't sweat it.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    You made it work into your life! Well done!