1,200 calories.....ideas

Options
I'm trying to do a 1200 calorie a day diet but feel like I want to eat 24/7. Anyone have any tips for meals/snacks that are low calorie but will make me feel fuller longer?

Replies

• scarlet67
    scarlet67 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Grapes! !
  • marenba21
    marenba21 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do 2 cups of almond milk (60 cal.) plus 1 serving of Slim Fast (chocolate) (110 cal.) to replace a meal. Total is 170 and I am satisfied for at least 3 hours, I am on 1,260.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I eat 1300 and with exercise find it pretty easy to stay under on most days. I don't eat anything different either, just less of it than I used to.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal keeps me full for hours. I eat the unsweetened instant with sliced apple for sweetener. You can add all kinds of things to oatmeal.

Vegetables, anything from sliced squash to steamed leafy greens, are low calorie and have bulk. I like to simmer a batch in vegetable broth or stir fry in a little olive oil.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I stay at 1200. I'm 5 feet tall, 41 and work at a desk. For me - the more I stay awake from prepackaged meals, the better I do. There's nothing wrong with them but I find I can pack my own to have more food for the calories.

I stick to lean proteins like fish, chicken, pork tenderloin, ground round plus lots of fresh or fresh frozen veggies.

For breakfast: oatmeal, precooked bacon (80 calories) with cheese toast (use 2% slices & 40 cal bread); turkey sausage with toast, omelets

Lunch: I try to fix enough at dinner to bring for leftovers. Chicken with frozen corn, had pork chop sandwich on 40 calorie bread with fiber crackers on side, sandwiches, wraps, salads.

Dinner: fish tacos using seabest frozen tilapia, corn tortillas, salsa. I season the defrosted filets with adobo seasoning with lemon and sautee in non stick skillet spayed with cooking spay. Toast corn tortillas in hot dry skillet.

Monday we had stuffed bell peppers using brown rice and ground round.

Tonight is pork tenderloin filets wrapped in bacon (180 calories) with sautéed squash and some other side.

Lean protein and fiber helps me. I can't eat salads day in and out. They're good but I need something that will stay with me.
  • kksmom1789
    kksmom1789 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    marenba21 wrote: »
    I do 2 cups of almond milk (60 cal.) plus 1 serving of Slim Fast (chocolate) (110 cal.) to replace a meal. Total is 170 and I am satisfied for at least 3 hours, I am on 1,260.

do you use the powder slim fast?
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I am on a cut diet for a bikini competition right now, and eating around 1,200 to 1,400 cals. I am never hungry. Feel free to creep my diary. I eat a lot of the same stuff from day to day though, for simplicity's sake. Some people might whine about my lack of variety. But it gets results, so I can't complain!
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1690 right now but I eat around 1200 on (most) weekdays so I can play on the weekends. My diary is open. :)
  • Arapacana1
    Arapacana1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Protein, fruit, vegetables, and lots of water. Eggs, lean precooked ham, chicken, lean beef, yoghurt, raw and cooked veggies, and all kinds of fruits work well for me. Beans and lentils are quite filling for the calories as well.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I have a carb, protein and fat almost every meal, this seems to keep me satisfied.

Protein, fiber, fat and water. Also 7-8 hrs of sleep to keep stress hormone at bay as it will make you hungrier.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to do a 1200 calorie a day diet but feel like I want to eat 24/7. Anyone have any tips for meals/snacks that are low calorie but will make me feel fuller longer?

Veggies and fruits! For example, lots of cooked veggies with meals. Raw veggies with dip instead of chips. And fruits as snacks. My calories are lower than your's (average of 1,000). I never feel hungry. Am vegetarian by the way so I replace meat calories with low calorie, high volume fruits/veggies. And make sure to get plenty of sleep! :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I made room for 100 calorie snacks morning and afternoon so I never got too hungry. To make it up elsewhere, I lightened my lunch to a soup or a salad. I did not skimp on breakfast; at least 400 calories.

I got protein and a little fat in every meal.

Some unusual combinations to try; edamame, lupini beans, cooked oatmeal with yogurt and a little PB stirred in, or half a protein bar.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Is 1200 calories appropriate for you?
  • peter2100
    peter2100 Posts: 101 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    In my experience, if you're hungry, you should probably eat. You can't fight your brain forever. You should eat satiating foods for your meals, so you won't feel hungry. How do you know what is satiating? Well, you just keep trying different things until you find things that work for you. I suggest low food reward whole foods, think blandish, get enough protein, and restricted food variety. When I eat 1500kcal, I still make sure to get 90g of protein, and I'm not that hungry.
  • Jellybewbie
    Jellybewbie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am on 1670 a day - I have porridge for breakfast (oats with coconut milk or almond) then a chilli opr something with rice/rice noodles for lunch and then chicken/steak for tea with lots of vegetables. When I cook a chilli or bologanise I use lots of vegetables and lean meat to make more portions with less calories, but are more filling - celery leek onion, carrots etc are good for this and low in calories!
  • stacydianereagan
    stacydianereagan Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    marenba21 wrote: »

I do this too, but I add a scoop of whey protein and ice to my smoothie. The ice gives more volume, and the whey protein makes me feel full.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm not eating anywhere near as low as 1200 a day but I find from a snacking point of view I find Jelly pots really useful. They can be less than 10 calories and some of the flavours are more like 5 or 6. I tend to not even bother counting them but they work well for satisfying the urge to snack without sabotaging your days food intake.