Garmin enables migration from Fitbit: Here’s how it works

While this functionality may seem minor – I suspect it’s actually the beginning for not just Garmin, but other companies as well. These types of migration tools are incredibly common in other software industries, enabling consumers (and corporations) to quickly move between platforms.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/11/garmin-enables-migration-from-fitbit-heres-how-it-works.html

Replies

• stephenmrees
    stephenmrees Posts: 6 Member
    works for me .more accurate running calories burned
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Is the only benefit that when switching from Fitbit to Garmin, we can see past data directly in Garmin instead of starting with a "clean slate?"
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Yes. This is only about being able to move from Fitbit to Garmin and keep your data.

It's obviously Garmin taking a swipe at Fitbit. Continuity in the data is a reason a lot of people will avoid switching, not just for activity trackers but for anything. Garmin removed that barrier, clearly in the hopes that they'll take some of Fitbit's customers.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited December 2016
    I'm about to give this a try.

I've had a Fitbit Charge HR since October 2015 which is linked to MFP. I just got a Garmin Forerunner 225.

I've downloaded my Fitbit data.

If I upload the Fitbit history to Garmin Connect, then link Garmin Connect to My Fitness Pal, will the history be copied over to My Fitness Pal again? i.e. Will I end up with double data in MFP?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Is the only benefit that when switching from Fitbit to Garmin, we can see past data directly in Garmin instead of starting with a "clean slate?"

GC has had native interaction with many other platforms for a while now. FitBit had been the one huge hole in that. There are others as the market segment is large, but none with the penetration that FitBit has.

Having historic data is useful. My GC training data goes back to 2009, when I started using Tinkerer. As I'm objective planning that's giving me easy access to seven years of data, rather than the 2yrs6 months I've had a ForeRunner.

Garmin have been moving into the low activity end of the market much more aggressively in the past year. This is about capturing users and bringing them into the higher margin side of things where FitBit are playing catch up, unsuccessfully.
  • rks581
    rks581 Posts: 99 Member
    I do like having the historical data, but it also imported all my badges, meaning I don't get a new one on my vivoactive HR until I've done 700,000 steps on it.