Farmers Market :)

Options
Mary_Anastasia
Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
edited November 2016 in Chit-Chat
Here's my haul from the farmer's market on Saturday. I loovvveee the big basket of squashes I got for 18$! That's about $1.25 per squash (butternut, spaghetti, and acorn) plus the basket :blush:

What are your favorite finds at your local farmers market??

eiddpc08a3cs.jpg

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I love almost everything about the Farmers Market. Never disappointed. Nice haul you made there!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    What ya makin with all that?

I do love the farmers market.. fresh tomatoes, seedless watermelons, onions, potatoes, fresh corn, usually buy stuff I plan to eat right away as I do not blanch food or any of that.. It gets lost in the freezer..

I bought my first honeybell this summer.. LOL

• Grey_1
    Grey_1 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    We have a decent farmer's market about 30 minutes away, but they'll break the bank. We tend to hit several of the local farm stands that crop up around the area during the growing season for corn, honey, squash etc. Tomatos, cucumbers, peas and a couple other items we grow ourselves.
  • Mary_Anastasia
    edited November 2016
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    What ya makin with all that?

I do love the farmers market.. fresh tomatoes, seedless watermelons, onions, potatoes, fresh corn, usually buy stuff I plan to eat right away as I do not blanch food or any of that.. It gets lost in the freezer..

I bought my first honeybell this summer.. LOL

So far I've made 2 stir-frys, roasted 2 pans of root veggies, a bunch of kale got cooked down, roasted 3 butternut squashes, made a pan of kale chips, and some veggies went into my sister's pot of korma. I haven't made anything to freeze, I don't usually blanch or do that stuff either. I cook a lot after work, it's my therapy :pensive:
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Options
    Grey_1 wrote: »
    We have a decent farmer's market about 30 minutes away, but they'll break the bank. We tend to hit several of the local farm stands that crop up around the area during the growing season for corn, honey, squash etc. Tomatos, cucumbers, peas and a couple other items we grow ourselves.

Yeah, there are a couple farmers who set up outside the farmer's market, and their prices are about half- but this farmers market is 1 mile from my house, and it is indoors in a big new barn structure, so they do have that advantage, being part of the co-op allows a covered structure, which is closes only in late December, and opens again in March. There is another farmers market about 50 minutes away, it's a very large one that also sells a lot of cheap Chinese knock-offs and fake jewelry and etc, and also has breeders there who mistreat their dogs, so I don't go to that one too much. There is also an outdoor Amish market about 40 minutes away, I like that one, but it's mostly knit goods and breads, jams, and canned veggies.

We have a lot of good farmland down here in southern Maryland, pretty good fishing/crabbing, too.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I live in Jackson Heights, Queens Co., NYC...There is a park and a pedestrian street at the end of our block where there is a large farmers' market every Sunday, throughout the year. Vendors include 4 or 5 organic produce farms, a duck purveyor (smoked duck breast to die for!), Ronnybrook Dairy, a pastured meat vendor, a cheese merchant, an apiary, an orchard, a fish monger, and a maple syrup-er, and two bakeries. Plus a local family that sells "Tamales! Tamales! Tamales!"...

We are truly blessed...
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Options
    I live in Jackson Heights, Queens Co., NYC...There is a park and a pedestrian street at the end of our block where there is a large farmers' market every Sunday, throughout the year. Vendors include 4 or 5 organic produce farms, a duck purveyor (smoked duck breast to die for!), Ronnybrook Dairy, a pastured meat vendor, a cheese merchant, an apiary, an orchard, a fish monger, and a maple syrup-er, and two bakeries. Plus a local family that sells "Tamales! Tamales! Tamales!"...

We are truly blessed...

That sounds amazing, I love farmers markets that sell food you can eat right there, ours doesn't have that, no samples, either! ;/
  • JustLikeJordin
    JustLikeJordin Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Can't believe how long I've been wanting to visit our local markets since we relocated. And since we literally live in farm country. Thanks for the lovely visual and great motivator. Cannot wait to snag some fresh veggies and cage free organic eggs! This cooler weather is just the icing on the cake. We deserve it!!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    My local weekly Farmer's Market and all of the farm stands in my area (just 5-10 mins from my house) just closed for the season and will not reopen until next April. :(
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    It's so expensive here :( I'm talking $5 a pint of strawberries in May! What kills me is the bakery though... so I don't go a lot.

I really miss French farmer's markets, to be honest. They're 10 times bigger than here.
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    It's so expensive here :( I'm talking $5 a pint of strawberries in May! What kills me is the bakery though... so I don't go a lot.

I really miss French farmer's markets, to be honest. They're 10 times bigger than here.

Oh yes, I've been, they're huge, like lots of tiny shops, and some have like antiques and book vendors and eateries and jazzy performers serenading customers <3