Toning up

Options
Hi all,
I just need advice on starting off with weights and toning. I lost the weight I wanted to lose and now I think I'm ready to start weight training, but I have no idea where to begin. I'm fairly weak with little muscle and get intimated sometimes with the equipment. Could anyone help out with advice on this?

Thanks people =)

Replies

• Adrienne840
    Adrienne840 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Start with small amount and increase set and rep as time goes on
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Here's an awesome thread you can check out. If you're new, I'd suggest Stronglifts or Strong Curves.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to stay the same weight, then you will be doing a recomp.

If you want to gain muscle faster, you must bulk. As you gain muscle, you will also gain some fat. Most people bulk and then cut the fat off with a deficit because results can be seen faster.

You pickk one thst suits your goals.

Best to find a progressive lifting program as people who don't have experience with self programming along with volume intensity will spin their wheels.

Recommended program for beginners are Starting Strength, Stronglifts, and Strong Curves to name a few.
    Do the programs as written and eat enough and you will have sucess.

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    Do you currently go to a gym? If so, a trained employee should be able to demonstrate proper use of the machines and equipment. Once you learn that, then yes, finding a program is a good idea. A session or two with a qualified personal trainer is helpful, too, if it fits in your budget.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    start off by dropping the word "toning" - then move on to the advice given above.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    start off by dropping the word "toning" - then move on to the advice given above.

Came in to post this.

Sufficient protein, calories at maintenance & progressive lifting.