Loss of appetite, am not meeting my calories?

Options
Is it necessary to push myself to eat more? I'm a 22 year old 5'11 female, current weight 169, goal weight 155, and MFP has me at 1,300 calories per day. I don't do any exercise, so it's not like I'm at a huge deficit. Most days I make it to about 850-1050 calories per day.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You could add full fat items back in :D
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    5'11 850-1050 calories is a pretty large deficit. Try adding calorie dense foods into your diet.
  • baby_bokchoy
    baby_bokchoy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I see a lot of these "can't eat all my calories" threads. I am very curious. Does eating 1200 calories or so induce appetite suppression or something? Were you hungrier before you started this and now you aren't? I have never gone as low as 1200 calories but that seems to be the magic number in these type of posts.

Thanks for the responses!

In the past when I've lost weight (I lost about 40 pounds in 2014, then gained back 10) something has sort of clicked and I find it hard to deviate from the routine. I've always had a somewhat obsessive relationship with food, mostly secretive binging, and so when I'm losing weight, it becomes the new obsession, and I find it quite easy not to binge and to stick to the plan. When I first lost weight I was at exactly 1,200 everyday. Now, since I don't have a lot of weight to lose, I've set it more moderately to 1,300. However, I started taking Wellbutrin for depression about 3 weeks ago, and I think that might have something to do with the appetite suppression.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    You're tall so the 1200 minimum is likely too low, even 1300. You're taller, your body needs more as a minimum to meet basic nutritional needs. So yes, you should eat more even if you have to force yourself. Be it the odd candy bar, protein shake, nuts, peanut butter etc. Something calorie dense will be small enough to eat even when you don't really feel like it. Hopefully once you adjust to the Wellbutrin your appetite will return to normal.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Add in extra calories by way of full fat. At your height you need to eat more than that even when wanting to lose.
    What calories does MFP give you to lose 1/2 -1lb a week? Eat all those allotted calories. You're not even overweight currently for your height.
  • baby_bokchoy
    Options
    Add in extra calories by way of full fat. At your height you need to eat more than that even when wanting to lose.
    What calories does MFP give you to lose 1/2 -1llb a week? Eat all those allotted calories. You're not even overweight currently for your height.

MFP gives me 1,530 to lose a pound a week, which I think it'll be hard for me to reach, at least right now. I will make an effort to reach 1,300 though, even if just with two tablespoons of peanut butter at the end of the day haha.

Thanks everyone!
  • Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I see a lot of these "can't eat all my calories" threads. I am very curious. Does eating 1200 calories or so induce appetite suppression or something? Were you hungrier before you started this and now you aren't? I have never gone as low as 1200 calories but that seems to be the magic number in these type of posts.

Thanks for the responses!

In the past when I've lost weight (I lost about 40 pounds in 2014, then gained back 10) something has sort of clicked and I find it hard to deviate from the routine. I've always had a somewhat obsessive relationship with food, mostly secretive binging, and so when I'm losing weight, it becomes the new obsession, and I find it quite easy not to binge and to stick to the plan. When I first lost weight I was at exactly 1,200 everyday. Now, since I don't have a lot of weight to lose, I've set it more moderately to 1,300. However, I started taking Wellbutrin for depression about 3 weeks ago, and I think that might have something to do with the appetite suppression.

Yep the wellbutrin will do that but you need to eat more and it sounds like you have some disordered eating habits. Side note I started Wellbutrin 3 weeks ago as well! I'm just now kind of starting to feel better. You?
  • baby_bokchoy
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    You can always drink your calories, like milk, though I hear booze is nice, too. Oh, make eggnog + rum = WIN.

Oh, there are definitely some red wine and gin and tonic calories floating around Thursday through Saturday, but I don't count those ;)
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    If you have a cycle of binging/weight gain followed by severe restriction/weight-loss then I'd say change your pattern. Maybe the binging aspect is a trigger because you're depriving yourself too much for too long.
  • Wiggymommy
    Wiggymommy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Higher calorie healthy fats. Walnuts, avacado, use olive oil to cook with or dip something in peanut butter. You say you become obsessive about counting calories. Well I am an obsessive person to but I direct that obsession to becoming obsessive about my nutrients. Maybe try this?
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I've said this in other similar threads but... The difference between 1000 and 1200 is a Snickers.
    How difficult must it be to have one... ?
    If it is THAT difficult maybe you got a stomach bug and should see a doctor.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    You're tall so the 1200 minimum is likely too low, even 1300. You're taller, your body needs more as a minimum to meet basic nutritional needs. So yes, you should eat more even if you have to force yourself. Be it the odd candy bar, protein shake, nuts, peanut butter etc. Something calorie dense will be small enough to eat even when you don't really feel like it. Hopefully once you adjust to the Wellbutrin your appetite will return to normal.

This. I remember when Wellbutrin killed my appetite.

I'm on Topomax, and it did that initially too.

The affect wears off for both of them.

Since this is likely temporary, just remind yourself that it's the medication and do what you need to do to get proper nutrition.

It's not good to keep undereating like this.