Military diet

Options
13»

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    mutesigorg wrote: »
    In all honesty, many new dieters think kooky diets will work. Sometimes you need to try those crazy diets and find out they don't work for yourself.
    Personally, I don't need to have actually jumped off a cliff to know it wouldn't end well.

Maybe that's just me, though. ;)
    People have to make their own mistakes - the clever ones will learn from them.
    If they live to learn from them, that is. ;)

• GidgetPink
    GidgetPink Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I tried the "Military Diet" as a way to regain control of my appetite after Thanksgiving. I lost weight, and was never hungry. After the three days it was easier to stay within my macros. The diet isn't a lifestyle change but it can help you get things back under control if you don't have the strength to fast for three days.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    To be perfectly honest with you, it is one of the silliest fad diets out. I really wonder if it was created as a joke.

It has no link whatsoever to the military, for a start - they gave it that name so it would appear legitimate.

The combination of foods is nothing special - they picked a bunch of whacky random foods to make it stand out and attract attention.

Will you lose weight? Sure, because you'll be eating very low calorie for a few days.

Will you keep it off? Only if you continue to watch what you eat.

It's been around for decades, it gets called a bunch of different names, but the 'plan' is the same.

Yeah, wonder how it got attached to the military, other than trying to fool people like the "Mayo Clinic" diet that has nothing to do with the prestigious medical establishment. We have RDs in the military who make sure that the diet is balanced for soldiers to get all of their nutritional requirements, and any soldier trying to lose weight during training is going to find it sucks even more than it should when you are sucking wind due to low energy levels.

This diet is decades old, one of it's early names was the "Cleveland Clinic diet." The people at the real Cleveland Clinic were very unhappy to have their name associated with it & finally got it removed.

My guess is someone learned the hard way to pick a name generic enough not to get sued by anyone.
  • DietVanillaCoke
    DietVanillaCoke Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I dont know how it averaged out to be 1200 calories.it states its less than 1000 calories,oh wait I looked there is more than one adaptation of it. some include other meats,veggies,etc. but it claims to boost metabolism,another one claims it boosts metabolism because of certain food pairings LMAO are you kidding me?,lol yeah not happening.only thing you will lose in 3 days is maybe some water weight and possible glycogen from eating less carbs,but in 3 days I sincerely doubt it will be fat.

This, the last military diet i saw being posted here was under 500calories a day. It was thankfully removed as it should be.

There are a bunch of these so called "Military diets" and most of them (if not all of them) are just made up, unnecessary and insane. If you want a straight answer you would need to link the one you're talking about and people on MFP will surely read it and give you the information you desire.

The other thing you could do is eat normal foods you enjoy but reduce calories and you'll lose weight. No need to join another fad diet.

• MalloryK214
    MalloryK214 Posts: 3 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    mutesigorg wrote: »
    In all honesty, many new dieters think kooky diets will work. Sometimes you need to try those crazy diets and find out they don't work for yourself. Thank you those of you who had insightful commentary... And to the rest of you, dieting is different for everyone and this is supposed to be a place of positivity. More importantly- MY post of positivity. I appreciate the energy staying that way. Have a wonderful thanksgiving! Happy I found this place with motivated individuals and a reinforcing community.

Lol. This is one of the most articulate and well written passages I've had the pleasure to read in awhile. The slight salt to it also added a literary savoriness that really fits my holiday mood! Right on, bravo.:)
  • Veeedot
    Veeedot Posts: 122 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    The military diet food seem to me to be examples of what u can eat u dont have to eat that crap. Im doing the military diet in the sense im eating 1000 calories 3 days 1500 4 days ive done this before and lost weight.
    The human body is made to take drastic changes in calorie intake and even fast so its more that reasonable biologically.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Veeedot wrote: »
    The military diet food seem to me to be examples of what u can eat u dont have to eat that crap. Im doing the military diet in the sense im eating 1000 calories 3 days 1500 4 days ive done this before and lost weight.
    The human body is made to take drastic changes in calorie intake and even fast so its more that reasonable biologically.

So if "u don't have to eat that crap" that the military diet encompasses and you eat other things instead, you're not actually doing the military diet. You're simply eating less than you burn in a day, which is the scientific principle (CICO) that *all* weight loss is based on. :)
  • Veeedot
    Veeedot Posts: 122 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Yes well done but thats what my comment explains. If you read it properly ive explained i just follow the calorie structure 3:4.