Running a 5K for the first time on Sunday. Any advice or tips would be appreciated

Options

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Yay!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Just got home. I was able to run the entire race without stopping. I ran it in just over 35 minutes, which was about 2 minutes faster than my best time during training. The first mile I set a pretty easy pace and just kind of got my legs and breathing going. The second mile I picked up the pace considerably, maybe a little too much because the last mile was pretty rough. I was pretty much on auto pilot for that last mile and just toughed it out until the last 100 yards or so which I emptied the tank on and sprinted. It's really strange though, because I worked so hard for two months and accomplished everything I wanted to but on the way home I started to have this slight feeling of let down that it was all over. I guess I need to find the next challenge, but after I take a week off and just relax. Thank you everyone so much for all of the kinds words and support, it honestly helped me out a lot.

Mwah ha ha.... welcome to running... what's your next race going to be?!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Just got home. I was able to run the entire race without stopping. I ran it in just over 35 minutes, which was about 2 minutes faster than my best time during training. The first mile I set a pretty easy pace and just kind of got my legs and breathing going. The second mile I picked up the pace considerably, maybe a little too much because the last mile was pretty rough. I was pretty much on auto pilot for that last mile and just toughed it out until the last 100 yards or so which I emptied the tank on and sprinted. It's really strange though, because I worked so hard for two months and accomplished everything I wanted to but on the way home I started to have this slight feeling of let down that it was all over. I guess I need to find the next challenge, but after I take a week off and just relax. Thank you everyone so much for all of the kinds words and support, it honestly helped me out a lot.

Well done.

Take some walks this week rather than just resting. It'll help your recovery
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Thanks for the race report.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

Hmmmm.... Well... There's a 5 mile race in Duncannon on December 31st. :)

Congrats and thank you for supporting GOTR.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I knew you could do it! Way to go.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options

This (the bolded section) always surprises me. Racing paces are always faster than anything I could achieve during training runs.

Congrats. Next challenges? Faster and longer.
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    ChaleGirl wrote: »
    Good luck! I'm running my first 10k this morning and it's chucking it down with rain!!
    Hope it all went ok. The weather is miserable today. Tail end of Storm Angus I think.
    I'm doing the London Winter 10k (my first one) in Feb and am dreading the possibility of rain.....or snow.
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

Hmmmm.... Well... There's a 5 mile race in Duncannon on December 31st. :)

Congrats and thank you for supporting GOTR.

Well done, sounds like you got the bug.
  • TimothyPhoenix
    TimothyPhoenix Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Felt great yesterday all day and night after the race. Woke up today feeling like my legs went through hell. Planning to get back on the treadmill this weekend though. Thanks again.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I was late to my first 5k and missed the official start. Forgot my headphones in the car, frantically had to try to fasten my number to my shirt. All said, nerves are natural and fine. Have fun and enjoy it. While I was scared that it'd be full of professional marathoners, I was shocked at the diversity of people of all various fitness levels. I had no shame in walking half the event. It was probably the highlight of my summer. Hope you have fun, you'll be hooked and doing various races all over the place soon!
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Woke up today feeling like my legs went through hell.

Two words: Recovery run
  • PaulaS1220
    PaulaS1220 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! The best thing to do now, is register for your next one. :smiley:
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    PaulaS1220 wrote: »
    Congratulations!! The best thing to do now, is register for your next one. :smiley:

this!
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    Philtex wrote: »
    Woke up today feeling like my legs went through hell.

Two words: Recovery run

and stretch and if you have access to one - foam roll
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options

Congrats!
    So quickly the runners high is replaced with the runners low of "what now". Next is a couple more 5ks, then you'll want to challenge yourself on a 10k. Soon a 5k will just be a warm up and 10ks will be the norm.

Then you'll want to know what all the fuss about the half. Half's will come and go and you'll be on the starting line for the full 26.2

You'll cross the line of that first 26.2 with a much better understanding about yourself, how to push on when you really want to just curl up and die, what you do when the going really is tough. But you will do it and the high will be amazing.

From there, there is only 1 way, longer and longer and longer, 30 miles, 75km, 100km, 100 miles, multi-day events. There is always a race somewhere.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    FatMoojor wrote: »

Congrats!
    So quickly the runners high is replaced with the runners low of "what now". Next is a couple more 5ks, then you'll want to challenge yourself on a 10k. Soon a 5k will just be a warm up and 10ks will be the norm.

Then you'll want to know what all the fuss about the half. Half's will come and go and you'll be on the starting line for the full 26.2

You'll cross the line of that first 26.2 with a much better understanding about yourself, how to push on when you really want to just curl up and die, what you do when the going really is tough. But you will do it and the high will be amazing.

From there, there is only 1 way, longer and longer and longer, 30 miles, 75km, 100km, 100 miles, multi-day events. There is always a race somewhere.

then throw some swimming and biking into the mix and discover the world of triathlons...the sky is the limit
  • TimothyPhoenix
    TimothyPhoenix Posts: 79 Member
    Options

Congrats!

That was very poetic :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Congrats!

I'm up to a half - no urge to do a marathon at all.... well.... not really.... :laugh: