Goal Weight

Options
TheBrock84
TheBrock84 Posts: 68 Member
edited November 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Sup y'all, I just want to set a goal weight where I want to be fit & healthy. I'm 6'1. What weight range should I be? 170s? 180s? 190s? Or 200s? Let me know.

Replies

• FernRunner
    FernRunner Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I think it's different for everyone. When I was 26 years old, 207 pounds, and obese, I thought I would be lucky if I ever hit 175. When I hit 175, I knew I had a long way to go. When I hit 160, I began to think that maybe I wasn't as "big-boned" as I'd always thought. My lowest weight reached was 132. That was too low for me to maintain. My "happy" weight seems to be closer to 140. I look and feel good, am able to do all the physical activities I enjoy, and it's not mad-crazy to keep myself in that range.
    I think you have to reevaluate every few pounds, when you get closer to the normal BMI range.
    My husband is 330 pounds, and I have NO CLUE where he should be (except, of course, closer to a healthy BMI).
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    check out BMI tables, that'll give you an idea of where you should aim to be.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I think GW is deeply individual as two people of the same height and weight can look and feel entirely different. For example my husband is 6'0" and looks awesome at 200 imo, but he feels he looks better at 180 (whereas I feel he starts to look too thin at that point). Perspective is everything. What was the last weight you felt really good about OP? What does your doctor think?
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

I'm sorry by BMI is crap. My husband comes up as overweight based on his BMI because building muscle will cause you to be heavier but still not necessarily overweight. My husband is 6'1" and 170. And trying to build more muscle. Also, because of that your target weight will vary. If you plan on lifting and want to build muscle, then you will be heavier than someone who only wants to lose weight with minimal muscle. It also depends on bone structure. If you have a slender build then you will be lighter than someone else of the same height with a broader bone structure.

• mcraw75
    mcraw75 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/

Use the Military BF first, then the Goal Weight Calc.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    slunburg wrote: »

I'm sorry by BMI is crap. My husband comes up as overweight based on his BMI because building muscle will cause you to be heavier but still not necessarily overweight. My husband is 6'1" and 170. And trying to build more muscle. Also, because of that your target weight will vary. If you plan on lifting and want to build muscle, then you will be heavier than someone who only wants to lose weight with minimal muscle. It also depends on bone structure. If you have a slender build then you will be lighter than someone else of the same height with a broader bone structure.

It may not be set in stone (and it isn't) but I wouldn't say it's "crap." The thing is, you have to start basically somewhere. I think the OP is more or less asking for a ballpark, here. You need *something* to measure about where the average person, average activity level and an average frame falls.

Your husband bodybuilds and is bulking? If that's not the OP's case it won't be applicable to him.

So really he just needs to start somewhere. IMO.

My husband is at his original goal. It is the upper range of what is considered "healthy" for his height. He started with this as his goal knowing he might have to either stay higher than that, or go lower, once he got there and saw how he looked and felt. Now that he's there he looks and feels really good at this higher end of "healthy" weight. But he had to start somewhere and have a loose place to shoot for.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    slunburg wrote: »

Just because your husband may or may not lay at an extreme end of the bell curve doesn't make the whole system bunk. It's meant to be broadly true across populations and for that, it works just fine.
  • jamcdonel
    jamcdonel Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I disagree. BMI is Crap. Especially if you are a man with a "large frame" or the least bit of muscle.
    I am also 6'1" like the OP. In 2006 I trained for and finished Ironman Triathlon. 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike and 26.2 mile run. 15.5 hours of cardio. It took me years to train, 20 hrs. Per week, and I lost 50 lbs in the process. I was in shape. About 12% body fat. You could see individual muscle fibers in my legs. I was cold all the time. Eating 6000 kCal per day and still losing weight. I felt awesome. I thought I was "The Man".

On race day, I weighed 210 lbs. which placed me at the UPPER limit of overweight, and borderline obese. Not hardly. 175, which is listed as a "healthy" weight for my height, and does not account for my frame or any muscle mass, is ridiculously low.

BMI is Crap.