eating fast vs slower

Options
So I've always been a fast eater that swallows bigger bites and was wondering if I slowed down and chewed my food up more if that would help me pack on the pounds more?

Replies

• sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    No - the speed with which you eat has no effect on whether you gain weight.

Although, if you are trying to lose weight, it is recommended that you eat slower so that your body has time to realize you've eaten and that you're full. It's a bit more satisfying to eat slowly.

But no effect on weight gain or loss...
  • BootyShakingBadAss
    BootyShakingBadAss Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I think it has to do with your food intake. Personally, eating slower for me makes me eat less so it would actually have the opposite effect.
  • Paschen81
    Paschen81 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    enutdav wrote: »
    I think it has to do with your food intake. Personally, eating slower for me makes me eat less so it would actually have the opposite effect.

I agree. Eating tediously is better for eating less food and feeling contented.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    So I've always been a fast eater that swallows bigger bites and was wondering if I slowed down and chewed my food up more if that would help me pack on the pounds more?

Lol...no

If you want to put on the Lbs, you just need to eat more food.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I inhale everything I eat basically. I don't know why I do this. I do everything as fast as possible. I walk very fast, eat fast, clean fast, shower fast. You name it I have to do it full throttle. I did try this eating slowly thing for a while. I never noticed a difference in anything. I ate the same amount, it just took longer to do it. I did find that I wanted to keep eating more when eating slowly. I tend to want to keep doing the thing that I am doing what ever it may be. So the longer it takes for me to eat the longer I want to keep eating if that makes sense. Also, I weigh out my portions no matter how fast I eat and I don't go back for seconds usually and I stick to my daily calorie allotment so eating more is not even an issue unless there is some other force at work (like PMS). So really I think it depends on the individual for these reasons. It may benefit one person but not another. So just try it and see how it works for you.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I'm a slow eater - always have been -and am often full before I've finished eating,so end up leaving some. It's one reason I could never gain weight