Social Pressure Can Delay Your Progress

Options

This question is key when it comes to hitting your goals: how much do you care about what your neighbor thinks about what you’re doing? This is a major contributing factor to success, especially in fat loss.

Anyone who says social pressure isn’t a factor is just a liar or doesn’t know what they are talking about. Our brains are hardwired to be social, we want to go along with the group. And this can be especially prevalent in social situations with food. It’s acceptable in our society to eat whatever foods taste good, regardless of the nutritional quality. “Chips and salsa in the break room at 2:30 PM!” Great.

Let’s say there’s a scenario at work: you’re in a meeting and someone brings in a box of doughnuts. They start passing them around and everyone takes one. The box comes to you and you say, “No, thanks.” Your colleague looks at you and says, “You don’t like donuts? What’s wrong with you!?” They’re clueless.

You made the commitment to healthy eating. You could respond, “I’m on a diet” or “I’m committed to healthy eating.” Which might trigger their response of, “Oh, you don’t need to go on a diet, you’re fine just the way you are” or “Oh, that sucks” or “Alright, your loss!” Me personally, I like to smile big and say, “I’m good, thank you though.”

Here’s the real truth of the situation: when you consistently make choices like that, not just once, but over and over and over, your colleagues at work and friends are going to come to respect, admire and even look up to you. Why? Because they wish they had that kind of self-control over themselves.

At first they label you in their head as “weird.” How could you not want 3:00 PM ice cream Sundays that are provided by the office for free! Well, it’s not free, but that’s a different topic. As they see you consistently warming up food in containers you brought in, armed with vegetables, lean proteins, good starchy carbs and healthy fat they’ll start to think. “Huh, this person is serious about their success.” They start to see you as a person of power.

That’s why it’s important not to care what your friend, neighbor or college thinks about you and your diet plan. It’s none of their business. If they ask, sure you can tell them, but otherwise just focus on what you have to do and then do it. If you’re worried that you’re going to be labeled “different” or you want to "fit in with the group” and then decide to eat the food to go along with everyone else, you’ll have a harder time being successful in your fat loss journey. You made a commitment and set a goal… don’t waver from that goal for anyone.

There are no ideal conditions or situations, which is why this game is challenging. So don’t care what other people think about your eating habits, just be consistent and stay true to what you said you were going to do, not what Bob and Jill and Jimmy say. You started this diet without any of them and you’re going to finish it without them. You don’t need their approval.

Stay strong my friends,

Joey K.