Gained almost all my progress back

Options
This summer started with i tried quit smoking... Which led to a little gain. Expected. But then i started drinking heavily. Moatly beer and with that came indulging. Ive since last using here gained back 25 of my 45 lbs lost. And i feel awful. Its really hard to get back on track. I keep saying todays the dsy but it isnt. I somehow slip.

Im so lost right now. Idk how to get back on the bandwagon.

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    After losing 86lb I gained 30 of it back last year. Changing jobs and moving in with my boyfriend led to lifestyle changes where I gradually ate more as I moved less. It wasnt until my original goal pants wouldnt button that I realized how bad Id let it go.

I got back on track because I was motivated by my fear. I had worked so hard and was headed back to where I started. I was terrified of that happening. I started by joining this site and getting a fitbit. For a full week I logged honestly and changed nothing. I had to see where I was really at to see what I could change to get back on track. Then I started working my way back towards being more active and monitoring my intake. Ive lost 17 of the 30 I had gained back now.

Find what will really motivate you. Honestly *kitten* where you are at now and decide what you can change first to start moving towards your goals.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on quitting smoking!! That is such a difficult thing to do. That is an amazing accomplishment! Your body will thank you so much for the wonderful thing you have done for yourself. Also congratulations on losing 45 pounds! That is incredible! I think the best part is that you know you have done it before, so you know you can do it again. :smiley:

As far as getting on the bandwagon - you just have to get on. What's the first step? I would recommend logging what you eat today and carry on from there.
  • skyytlz
    skyytlz Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I tried. I started back again when i started getting depression attacks
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Well, you've come to the right place. Calories are king for weight loss (which means no foods are off limits...I haven't cut anything out and am losing weight), so all you have to do is find a digital food scale and start weighing ALL your food on it (it is far more accurate than eyeballing or using cups/spoons!). Log every day and log everything you eat and drink.

Choose a proper weight loss rate. If you have at least 50lbs to lose, then the 2lb per week option is appropriate. If you have less to lose, then 2lb per week is far too aggressive. Perhaps start with 1lb per week then move on to .5lbs per week.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Before anything else, get off the booze, and get into counseling for the depression. Once you have a handle on those, then worry about getting the weight off (and if you get off the booze that will be a good starting point).
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Alcohol can worsen depression symptoms, so if I were you I'd try to cut out the drinking. It certainly messes up my brain chemistry if I drink regularly.

Regardless, don't forget to log those calories accurately. Me, I'd far rather have some ice cream or garlic bread or chips than a beer or whatever when I track the calories.

Congratulations on restarting before you gained it all back! Many people wait until they've regained even more than they lost.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I see you have been logging the last few days. Good job! You're on the bandwagon! :smiley:
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options

I quit smoking last year. I gained. I waited 6 months till the cravings were gone and started counting calories. I lost the weight and more.
    Now I'm slim and don't smoke.
    One thing at a time.
    Don't forget that quitting smoking is the most important thing for you now.

45lbs won't kill you.

Smoking will.
  • Seffell
    Options
    Just to add to my previous reply. Trying to lose weight while quitting smoking is unnecessary and will likely lead to failure. You can aford to wait a few months with the diet.
    If anyone is advising you to try and lose at the same time, they have either never been addicted to nicotine or have never quit. Either way it is a bad advice.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting smoking! A very healthy choice!
    you have to want it enough (again). Don't look at it as 'getting back' to where you were, then one is always feeling in the hole and that's hard.
    Today is today and you are where you are. Beer has plenty of calories. Do you want the beer more or the weight loss?
    Why do you want to lose? only you truly know that. but dig Deep for that answer. How will you Feel when you get there? What do you think will be different?
    We all make a change because we want something different, but we have to want it enough to WORK for it!

Today is day 1. Ok, maybe Friday is day 1, if you're celebrating Thanksgiving. ha.
    Do it for You
    Do it for your health, just like quitting smoking.
    You did that, you can do anything!
  • Seffell
    Options
    nancybuss wrote: »
    Congrats on quitting smoking! A very healthy choice!

The OP started smoking again.
  • FernRunner
    FernRunner Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hey girl. I'm kinda in the same boat. A few years ago I lost 75 pounds and kept it off for a couple of years, even through pregnancies. But then last year, my mother-in-law passed away and I used that as an opportunity to go back to my old habits with my husband. I'm currently in the process of losing about 30 pounds that I gained back. It sucks, and I wish I'd kept the weight off, but I didn't, and here I am.
    It's not going to happen fast, but it is going to happen. I know I can do this, and so can you. If you're interested, feel free to add me as a friend. I would love to provide support.