Three men suing Chipotle because they felt too full...

Options
13»

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    For those who have never visited Chipotle: You choose format of the meal (salad, burrito, tacos, etc.) and then you choose which meat to put into it, then you choose other toppings (beans, rice, sour cream, cheese, guacamole, salsa, etc.). My guess is that the meat itself on that sign was supposed to be 300 calories. Then you have to add calories for the salad, burrito shell, taco shell, or whatever you got it put into. Then you also have to add calories for everything else you get - black beans will have different calories than pinto beans, rice, etc.

Here is a photo I found online that looks similar to what I recall seeing on some menu boards:

d2fe3161a971497face5b497e9c3cee5.jpg

Chances are good that this guy didn't understand that he has to add calories for the other components of the burrito made to his order.

ETA: The range on this sign is so big because it varies based on the lowest calorie meat and minimal additional toppings vs. getting the highest calorie meat and everything else on it.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    For those who have never visited Chipotle: You choose format of the meal (salad, burrito, tacos, etc.) and then you choose which meat to put into it, then you choose other toppings (beans, rice, sour cream, cheese, guacamole, salsa, etc.). My guess is that the meat itself on that sign was supposed to be 300 calories. Then you have to add calories for the salad, burrito shell, taco shell, or whatever you got it put into. Then you also have to add calories for everything else you get - black beans will have different calories than pinto beans, rice, etc.

Here is a photo I found online that looks similar to what I recall seeing on some menu boards:

Chances are good that this guy didn't understand that he has to add calories for the other components of the burrito made to his order.

ETA: The range on this sign is so big because it varies based on the lowest calorie meat and minimal additional toppings vs. getting the highest calorie meat and everything else on it.

There is a picture in my OP that shows the in store menu showing a burrito with 300 Calories on the bottom there is no range.

I've never seen only one ingredient listed in a calorie count on a menu until I read this article.

The lawsuit includes the website so that may have been changed already I'm not positive about that though.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »

There is a picture in my OP that shows the in store menu showing a burrito with 300 Calories on the bottom there is no range.

I've never seen only one ingredient listed in a calorie count on a menu until I read this article.

The lawsuit includes the website so that may have been changed already I'm not positive about that though.

You might not have seen only 1 ingredient on the menu if you have never visited a "make to order" place or such a place without calories on the menu board.

Here is a more full image of a Chipotle menu with *gasp* calories next to each item that can be included.

chipotle-menu.jpg

• leanjogreen18
    Options
    Ok just speaking of Chipotle and THIS lawsuit - based on 3 separate stores that show 300 calories under a description of a Chroizo burrito (in my OP the link contains the picture I can't copy it for some reason) containing tortilla, beans, chorizo, rice and cheese. There is no range of calories nor options.

I'm not sure what you are showing me? Is this in one of the 3 stores mentioned in the lawsuit? Are you saying in the 3 stores in the lawsuit in addition to the one picture I mention that the menu boards you are showing me are also present?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Ok just speaking of Chipotle and THIS lawsuit - based on 3 separate stores that show 300 calories under a description of a Chroizo burrito (in my OP the link contains the picture I can't copy it for some reason) containing tortilla, beans, chorizo, rice and cheese. There is no range of calories nor options.

I'm not sure what you are showing me? Is this in one of the 3 stores mentioned in the lawsuit? Are you saying in the 3 stores in the lawsuit in addition to the one picture I mention that the menu boards you are showing me are also present?

I can't speak for whoever posted the picture but every Chipotle I've been in looks identical to the photo with the calorie counts listed after each item. I am in WA though where calorie counts are required to be on the menu.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

I'm not sure what the full menu board in those specific stores looks like now or at the time. I agree that the image in your news story is easily misunderstood. It is obvious to most of us that the 300 calories shown covers the meat and probably burrito, but not the extras and additives.

The images I'm showing are what I normally see in Chipotles (I have not visited every single Chipotle in the U.S.). To paint a picture of Chipotle as being intentionally misleading on nutrition facts based off of the single pane of the menu board at 3 specific Chipotle stores without considering the level of accurate calories shown otherwise makes me think there must be a deeper reason you to want to break out the pitchforks and torches.
  • leanjogreen18
    Options
    Me bring out pitchforks? Wow just wow.

I was trying to understand if the menu boards you are showing me are ALSO in these 3 stores in the lawsuit IN ADDITION to the one pictured in the article. If so then I was going to say ok this lawsuit is silly. That's the only clarification I was looking for.

Otherwise yes I think its a bit irresponsible to list only one ingredients calories. Thats all I'm after, then you started showing me other menu boards so I was trying to understand if they are also in the stores.

I think you and I agree that the boards you are showing seems to make this lawsuit silly. But I don't think they were in the stores mentioned in the lawsuit so I can see why one MAY sue.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    Me bring out pitchforks? Wow just wow.

I was trying to understand if the menu boards you are showing me are ALSO in these 3 stores in the lawsuit IN ADDITION to the one pictured in the article. If so then I was going to say ok this lawsuit is silly. That's the only clarification I was looking for.

Otherwise yes I think its a bit irresponsible to list only one ingredients calories. Thats all I'm after, then you started showing me other menu boards so I was trying to understand if they are also in the stores.

I think you and I agree that the boards you are showing seems to make this lawsuit silly. But I don't think they were in the stores mentioned in the lawsuit so I can see why one MAY sue.

The picture in your article looks like it is only 1 single pane. Unless that Chipotle location just happened to sell only 1 single item, it isn't the full menu board.
  • leanjogreen18
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I'm pretty sure its not the only one since they have many choices. It would be interesting to see the rest of the menu boards in those stores to see if the lawsuit is frivolous.

ETA - a representative tweeted....

"I'm sorry for the confusion, but we'll make things more clear next time. The 300 calories is for the chorizo [alone]."
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    on the Chorizo burrito that was listed at 300 calories. Turns out the burrito is 3 to 4 times that amount.

http://laist.com/2016/11/19/make_chipotle_healthy_again.php

I bet any mfper could look at the ingredients alone and know that it was more than 300 calories - cheese, flour tortilla, white rice, chorizo, black beans and salsa.

ETA - not to mention the size of that burrito. My little low calorie burrito is 300 calories plus and its half that size.

I don't understand how a lawyer would have even approved of filing this claim (unless they filed it on their own). I realize that in a way it's false advertising - you're saying that something has a certain amount of calories in it but it doesn't, and companies shouldn't be allowed to do that and I agree that they should stop - but I just can't grasp what kind of damages they think they're looking at. They spent minimal money on purchasing this burrito - and now they're spent more filing the claim.

Even if I were to have eaten that thing, unless I barely ate anything else for that day, of course it would blow my one day of calories - but it wouldn't really cause me any damage that I can put into a monetary form. Also, while I realize that Americans have a bit of a different judicial system than in Canada, I assume a judge would consider what a "reasonable" person would have assumed in that situation and no reasonable person would look at that monstrosity and think that it has 300 calories in it.

For this exact reason, this type of lawsuit would typically be filed with a request for the court to certify a "class" of similarly situated injured plaintiffs (in this case, everybody who's ever ordered a chorizo burrito). Assuming the court approves the class, and the plaintiffs either win or negotiate a settlement with the corporation, whatever compensation is decided on is divided among the members of the class, many or most of whom don't even know they're part of the class. The administrators of the compensation fund have to try to reach the injured parties (in this case, I would think through ads, but it's possible they'd reach out to individuals through Chipotle's records of reward card holders or credit/debit card purchasers). In my experience, the compensation offered to class members is most often an insulting offer of a discount on more goods and service from the same company that just cheated you. The biggest benefits in class actions go to the plaintiff lawyers who brought the case, and, possibly, to consumers in some possible deterrent to future bad actions by companies.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    on the Chorizo burrito that was listed at 300 calories. Turns out the burrito is 3 to 4 times that amount.

I bet any mfper could look at the ingredients alone and know that it was more than 300 calories - cheese, flour tortilla, white rice, chorizo, black beans and salsa.

ETA - not to mention the size of that burrito. My little low calorie burrito is 300 calories plus and its half that size.

I don't understand how a lawyer would have even approved of filing this claim (unless they filed it on their own). I realize that in a way it's false advertising - you're saying that something has a certain amount of calories in it but it doesn't, and companies shouldn't be allowed to do that and I agree that they should stop - but I just can't grasp what kind of damages they think they're looking at. They spent minimal money on purchasing this burrito - and now they're spent more filing the claim.

Even if I were to have eaten that thing, unless I barely ate anything else for that day, of course it would blow my one day of calories - but it wouldn't really cause me any damage that I can put into a monetary form. Also, while I realize that Americans have a bit of a different judicial system than in Canada, I assume a judge would consider what a "reasonable" person would have assumed in that situation and no reasonable person would look at that monstrosity and think that it has 300 calories in it.

For this exact reason, this type of lawsuit would typically be filed with a request for the court to certify a "class" of similarly situated injured plaintiffs (in this case, everybody who's ever ordered a chorizo burrito). Assuming the court approves the class, and the plaintiffs either win or negotiate a settlement with the corporation, whatever compensation is decided on is divided among the members of the class, many or most of whom don't even know they're part of the class. The administrators of the compensation fund have to try to reach the injured parties (in this case, I would think through ads, but it's possible they'd reach out to individuals through Chipotle's records of reward card holders or credit/debit card purchasers). In my experience, the compensation offered to class members is most often an insulting offer of a discount on more goods and service from the same company that just cheated you. The biggest benefits in class actions go to the plaintiff lawyers who brought the case, and, possibly, to consumers in some possible deterrent to future bad actions by companies.

So the lawyers make all the money. Shocking :open_mouth:
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

So the lawyers make all the money. Shocking :open_mouth:

I have quite a bit (over 6 years) working with mass tort (pharmaceutical and liability) litigation. In me experience the payouts for these usually goes like this;

A class action is created in specific or originating court
    People sign up through their local lawyer who gets a small cut but doesn't represent the actual client
    All work is done through the court by the initial or appointed law firm along with payout agreements to each individual firm for bringing in clients
    Then they broadcast the crap out of the lawsuit nationwide to get as many people as possible to sign up regardless of what these people have actually suffered or not
    They get questionnaires and intake forms along with HIPAA authorizations, releases, and more
    Data mining is performed while the law firm goes to the court and starts filing as many as physically possible to overwhelm defense and encourage a payout (sometimes this happens)
    If no payout then they will slowly start building their strongest cases to present (keep in mind there's still people apart of the suit still who have no business being there or have 0 case on their own), again trying to get a payout for the full number of people
    Then if defense fights back and gets their own records and starts dropping cases left and right like no ones business (imagine someone who didn't even take said drug and somehow just signed up!)
    Then year long refining process begins (i mean like 3-5+ years)
    Then it depends on how many people they can sneak into the payout for more money and at the end lawyers usually take 40% or more.

So at the end of the day if the payout is *kitten* but there's 20,000 people sharing it AND lawyers take 40%+ you can just imagine.

Random Facts Galore!
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    This a thing I've been wondering and this post made me remember

Don't they ask you to build your toppings anyway? Their meals arent ready made products like Taco Bell or McDonald's. So it makes perfect sense for them to just tell you how many calories is in the ingredient while you build your burrito with other toppings
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Ok the injunction I can understand but "unspecified damages"? For what? Yes the calorie count is massively misleading but the company did not force them to eat the whole damn thing.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

That wasn't the menu -- maybe this is where the disagreement is coming in. It was marketing materials (a photo of a new item in the store, not where you'd normally look for calorie information) and that aside IMO yes it was misleading. But -- and this is why I think it was a screw-up, not intentional fraud or whatever -- the other sources for calories like the website don't suggest that a whole burrito of any sort would be 300 calories and it's obvious they couldn't as what you put on the burrito varies greatly. A chorizo burrito could be close to 500 calories (the wrap and meat alone) or it could be more like 1300 calories (rice, beans, cheese, sour cream, avocado, other less caloric ingredients too). That sign looks like the kind of promotional thing they put up about a new ingredient (which the chorizo is), not the menu, although I've not seen one with calories on it before.

In that anyone who thinks twice would have realized the calorie claim made no sense, and wondered about the other menu items (especially if calories were also given on the menu as midwesterner showed), I simply can't believe that there would have been any advantage to the restaurant to have an intentionally misleading sign they'd get called on (and bad press from) shortly thereafter. Makes much more sense that it, like the WF plain yogurt that had an extremely low sugar number inconsistent with it containing lactose, was a screw up. I bet it did originally refer to the new ingredient and it got cut out when revising the look of the sign or something.

It's also likely it makes no difference to the lawsuit, because false marketing claims of this sort are prohibited intentional or not, I am sure -- there have to be specific statutes to that effect. As for the value of the suit -- I haven't looked at it, but returning the money of the people who bought it classwide could result in a decent sum for the lawyers. Maybe the plaintiffs just like having their names in the paper or were mad.

(Just for the record, I rarely go to Chipotle and have no personal incentive to defend them, but the idea that this was some scheme to defraud people or make lots of money misleading them about the calories on purpose just doesn't pass the red face test, to me. It's not logical at all. Doesn't matter to the claim, probably -- I think the claim is dumb and I think a lot of class actions are ridiculous and shouldn't be brought and are brought due to pecuniary interests of the lawyers, period, if that is indeed what this is which as said makes sense to me, but if they violated the rules and it seems to me they did, they probably are liable as part of the enforcement mechanism, and that's fair in my mind. The speculation that they were trying to defraud just seemed to me premature and probably wrong. I also think far too many people attribute to intent things that are just screw-ups. Corporations sometimes just screw up, without bad intent. I know that's something some will never grant, but it's true.)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    U2R2 wrote: »

Thanks for the links, they do not verify the "constantly" claim but are enlightening all the same.

Did you not pay attention to the news? I wouldn't have asked for links because this was common knowledge when it was happening.