running in the heat

Options
2»

Replies

• RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I'm also in Boston. It has been rather hot. And I generally run at 1:00pm on weekdays.

So, hydrate before the race, but also make sure you are staying hydrated today, the day before the race as well. Where a hat and sunblock, both serve to cool you off. And start slow. Generally if it's 80 and above at gun time, I stop worrying about getting a pr, but I have asthma and hate running in the heat. I still go out in weather like this but I generally do 10 mins per mile ibstead of 9.
  • emcwilli
    emcwilli Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    If its hot outside then you are going to be hot. There is absolutely nothing you can do to stay cool other than not run.

You can acclimate to the heat to lower the overall stress of running in the heat but that takes at least two weeks of running in the heat.

Even then, you will still be hot and uncomfortable.

Thanks much for mansplaining to me how hot weather works. I think I get it now but will make sure to let you know if any questions arise about whether running in hot conditions will make me feel hot.
  • emcwilli
    Options
    I'm also in Boston. It has been rather hot. And I generally run at 1:00pm on weekdays.

So, hydrate before the race, but also make sure you are staying hydrated today, the day before the race as well. Where a hat and sunblock, both serve to cool you off. And start slow. Generally if it's 80 and above at gun time, I stop worrying about getting a pr, but I have asthma and hate running in the heat. I still go out in weather like this but I generally do 10 mins per mile ibstead of 9.

I feel you. Will *not* be running for a PR tomorrow. Seems like there's a consensus about starting slow, so I'll definitely implement that advice.
  • keenho
    keenho Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I just saw a post on Facebook from noted runner and coach, Jeff Galloway which reads:

" In the summer months don't wear a hat! You lose most of your body heat through the top of your head. Covering the head will cause a quicker internal buildup of heat."

So... no hat. Wear sunscreen.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Related question: Is it cooler to go shirtless, or to wear a moisture wicking sleeveless shirt, or wear a regular sleeveless shirt, or wear a moisture-wicking shirt with regular short sleeves? It's so hot I'm willing to go shirtless if it's indeed cooler.

Personally I find it cooler to run without a shirt but given that I have very fair skin and have had melanoma, I try to cover up, within reason. I usually wear a singlet for races, and slather on sunscreen if the race will be near mid-day.

I always wear a hat, not a visor. I think a visor might be cooler but with thinning hair, I'm more concerned about sunburn on the top of my head. Also with a hat if it's *really* hot you can put ice underneath.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    If its hot outside then you are going to be hot. There is absolutely nothing you can do to stay cool other than not run.

You can acclimate to the heat to lower the overall stress of running in the heat but that takes at least two weeks of running in the heat.

Thanks much for mansplaining to me how hot weather works. I think I get it now but will make sure to let you know if any questions arise about whether running in hot conditions will make me feel hot.

MkJuCO6.gif
  • emcwilli
    Options
    Related question: Is it cooler to go shirtless, or to wear a moisture wicking sleeveless shirt, or wear a regular sleeveless shirt, or wear a moisture-wicking shirt with regular short sleeves? It's so hot I'm willing to go shirtless if it's indeed cooler.

Personally I find it cooler to run without a shirt but given that I have very fair skin and have had melanoma, I try to cover up, within reason. I usually wear a singlet for races, and slather on sunscreen if the race will be near mid-day.

I always wear a hat, not a visor. I think a visor might be cooler but with thinning hair, I'm more concerned about sunburn on the top of my head. Also with a hat if it's *really* hot you can put ice underneath.

I've felt better shirtless but it def makes sunscreen key.
    I'm loving the ice-under-hat idea, too.
  • emcwilli
    Options

MkJuCO6.gif

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-JdBfpM56kaQ/UG424x7MfwI/AAAAAAAACxA/RE6uiMTXdQY/s1600/StanleyTucciEyeRoll.gif
  • emcwilli
    Options
    hhaha, I've no idea how to embed a gif but anyway
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the opinions. I'll be running after the sun goes down so burns won't be an issue. No shirt it is.