MFP tracking. What if I don't feel like eating today?

Options
I've had 2 days lately where I just wasn't that hungry and didn't feel like eating. A week apaty. First time it's happened when I've been tracking calories and, MFP won't let me close the day. First time was a week ago Saturday. Friday I ate a big dinner as it was my wife's birthday and we went out. I also knew I would overeat Sunday while watching my team get knocked out of the playoffs, so Saturday I just cut back. Had to fudge the results to get MFP to close the day. Yesterday was the first day home from a trip where I ate out daily and I just didn't feel like eating. Ended up having a chocolate bar and chips to reach 1200 calories.

Not a common occurrence, just twice in the one week and not been an issue in the previous months tracking.

Is there not some way to eat one day under and have MFP allow it? Or do people just rearrange food from one day to another to fudge it?

Replies

• spring913
    spring913 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have days like this. We're human, as much as we'd like every day to be consistently the same it's near impossible. As long as it's as rare as you say it is, it's not a big deal. Don't fudge your diary, just don't close it out at the end of the day, there's no rule saying you have to hit that little button at the end of the day :smile:
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    spring913 wrote: »
    just don't close it out at the end of the day, there's no rule saying you have to hit that little button at the end of the day :smile:

Hmm. I thought it wouldn't generate the same reports without being closed off.

And, (I know it's silly) the thought of not closing it off irks me.

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The only things closing your diary does is give you the 5-week projection and announce it to your feed. Everything stays in there whether you close it or not.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    grmckenzie wrote: »
    just don't close it out at the end of the day, there's no rule saying you have to hit that little button at the end of the day :smile:

Ah, I always wondered why people would get upset when they couldn't close their diaries. Maybe they're thinking this, too.
    I haven't closed out my diary in so long I forgot it was even an option.
    TBH I'm not even sure why MFP has a button for completing the diary. All it does is give the projection, and announce on your feed that youve completed your day (if you have it set up that way.). I guess it's just the satisfaction of pushing a button that says 'I'm done!', as it truly serves no other purpose than that.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I forget to close mine most days. It's really not a big deal.
  • U2R2
    U2R2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    grmckenzie wrote: »

Ah, I always wondered why people would get upset when they couldn't close their diaries. Maybe they're thinking this, too.
    I haven't closed out my diary in so long I forgot it was even an option.
    TBH I'm not even sure why MFP has a button for completing the diary. All it does is give the projection, and announce on your feed that youve completed your day (if you have it set up that way.). I guess it's just the satisfaction of pushing a button that says 'I'm done!', as it truly serves no other purpose than that.

Don't know the intent of the button but it does give an indication of how much of difference seemingly small changes in diet or exercise can make.

It once spurred me to take a nice evening walk after noticing the difference in projected weight on a day I had not logged any exercise.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    As others have said you do not have to close your diary to see reports. I think it is better not to close it than fudge your diary.
    Look at your weekly calories as well as daily. If you are high one or two days and low another day it evens out.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Even when I was logging I usually forgot to close mine. I think closing maybe can be helpful for some who tend to snack in the evening, as it says "no more food for the day," and some find the "good job" and projections helpful, I guess.

If you think of calories as a weekly thing and find it psychologically easier to log part of a high day on the next day (assuming you know that will be a low day), I see no harm and wouldn't consider that fudging (I'd probably put in a note in the box, though, so I'd remember when I looked back). You have to know yourself, though.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Another one who never closes their diary, I never paid any attention to the 5 week projection because I kind of calorie cycle so it's pointless. As others have said, that's the only purpose.
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Don't close mine .. mostly just never think of it .. and 5 week goal just reminds me how far I need to go ..

Good luck
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Personal choice I guess. I like closing it off but won't fuss with it on a day I'm under. Before last week it hasn't happened in the 3 months I've logged. And, at ~290, missing a meal won't kill me anyway.