Is it appropriate to go on a diet during the Christmas Holidays

13»

Replies

• temazur
    temazur Posts: 76 Member
    I just eat at maintenance during the holidays and for days with holiday get togethers, try to get back to normal on other days. December is a rough month for me, between my birthday, my wife's birthday AND all of the regular holiday get togethers. If I don't watch between the special days I use them as excuses to go overboard every day. But if I just eat what I should have, instead of trying to lose, I get to splurge in a way and still not lose too much progress.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,241 Member
    Like others said, Christmas is a day not a period.

In my opinion it is not appropriate to diet on Christmas eve or Christmas day or New Years Eve.

Also in my oppinion it is not appropriate to eat like it is Christmas when it isn't.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I've been told by a lot of people, that I should avoid going on diets during the Christmas period. Should I still lose weight in December?

I started "dieting" in September of 2012...I lost a good chunk of my weight from Sept through January which obviously would have included the holidays. I treated Thanksgiving and Christmas and New Years as the occasions that they are and enjoyed myself...I just kept things in check the rest of the time...I don't treat the entire season as a reason to just eat, but I enjoy the actual holidays themselves.
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    I think the "Christmas is only one day" stuff is a bit of a regional variation. Certainly traditionally in the U.K. it is NOT just one day, but arguably 3 days, with NYE/Hogmanay coming hot on the heels.

The absence Thanksgiving here means Christmas is, in general, a Much bigger deal than I have experienced in the US, and food is a huge part of that, from mince pies and Christmas cake and chocolate and dates and nuts and cheese...., through to the big meal itself and Christmas pudding. Thus, whilst all the comments about maintenance and holding back absolutely apply it will be very hard, just due to culture and tradition.

I would not start a new diet over Christmas therefore, but instead aim to not put on weight, eat and drink mindfully (not treat it as one last blast) and have a clear plan for starting afresh, including not overstocking and eating leftovers well into the New Year!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    iofred wrote: »
    I assume with a "diet" you mean calorie count? Using MFP and sticking to the calorie count "should be" a style of life rather than a diet, so using this you should not need to go on a diet, but you might include a couple of "Cheat days"

MFP is just a tool...it's not a lifestyle. It's a tool that can be used to help you along and teach you. The lifestyle aspect is actually changing the way you live your life...changing your eating habits to be healthier...regular exercise, etc. I used MFP for a handful of months while I was losing weight...haven't logged a thing in what will be four years this spring.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited November 2016
    subakwa wrote: »
    I think the "Christmas is only one day" stuff is a bit of a regional variation. Certainly traditionally in the U.K. it is NOT just one day, but arguably 3 days, with NYE/Hogmanay coming hot on the heels.

The absence Thanksgiving here means Christmas is, in general, a Much bigger deal than I have experienced in the US, and food is a huge part of that, from mince pies and Christmas cake and chocolate and dates and nuts and cheese...., through to the big meal itself and Christmas pudding. Thus, whilst all the comments about maintenance and holding back absolutely apply it will be very hard, just due to culture and tradition.

I would not start a new diet over Christmas therefore, but instead aim to not put on weight, eat and drink mindfully (not treat it as one last blast) and have a clear plan for starting afresh, including not overstocking and eating leftovers well into the New Year!

It isn't here (US), either. Between the office and friends' Christmas parties and then Christmas Eve and Christmas followed by New Year's Eve and New Year's day, we easily have just as many celebratory days. And on this side of the pond, it's compounded by coming right off of Thanksgiving.

Granted, how much the celebration centers around food and how fattening that food is likely to be is going to be both regional and beyond that, down to your family and traditions. Mine is heavily into food.

The point still holds. That is still a very few days out of the year. The problem is when every day of December you indulge in holiday cookies or cakes or coffee drinks and put yourself at or above maintenance. In general, if you can reign yourself in to indulging only at the actual celebrations you should be in decent shape with no or little additional weight that needs to be worked off in the New Year.

^^
    General you
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,110 Member
    Whenever you feel ready os the right time
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited November 2016
    OP, I think the reason people say "shouldn't" (when they do) is that starting a food-restrictive program during the holiday season can be doomed to fail for many people. But not all.

The thing is that food temptation is at an all-time high during the holiday season.

So a person already struggling with his/her weight (as s/he is, or else a weight loss diet wouldn't be on the table) already has had issues controlling quantity, calories, etc. So putting giant plates of "you have to have this or it just WON'T be Christmas" goodies in front of that particular person's face for five solid weeks, yet expecting that particular person to start dieting at that time, can be very unrealistic.

So I totally get the idea behind this.

Know thyself. You could always try easing into things by choosing maintenance calories during this time, then going to weight loss calories after the holiday season. BUT if you are confident of yourself and are very committed, sure, you could start now just as well as at any other time. Know (and be VERY HONEST with) yourself, and go forward.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    I don't think it's ever inappropriate to start working on oneself.

Even if you overeat on the holidays so what, you just get back on track the next day.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,241 Member
    subakwa wrote: »

Oh yeah, I agree with that. One or three, same thing. But lately there have been some people in the forums here, talking about the Christmas period as the period from Thanksgivings to New Years. That's what bothers me.
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    gebeziseva wrote: »

Oh yeah, I agree with that. One or three, same thing. But lately there have been some people in the forums here, talking about the Christmas period as the period from Thanksgivings to New Years. That's what bothers me.

Yes, the mince pies are in the shops already and folk are starting to indulge. I think the worst issue is that everyone buys ALL the things and enough of them to feed an army, and then indulge for a good solid week, with parties etc on top.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    It's HARDER to diet over the holidays! Between co-workers bringing in baked goods, the company New Year's party, Grandma's turkey dinner, the focus on sugary fatty treats in general... well it's a big old dietary mess. Oh, and the days are shorter and colder, and routines get disrupted, so exercise may be harder to do.

An idea is to simply try to STOP any holiday weight gain, without expecting to lose any. Keep your expectations lower. If you happen to lose any, awesome--but that's just a bonus. On January 2nd a lot of the holiday craziness disappears.

An idea is to simply do some planning in the meantime. Try out a free yoga class. Try making a lower calorie lunch with high protein. Try kale. Whatever!

Just don't pressure yourself too much at a time when like it or not, it's much harder to stick to routines and diets and so on. You might have expectations too high and get unnecessarily discouraged.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    going on a 'diet' to lose will never really get you a permanent weight loss. You have to change your eating style, and change it for life. Holidays is as fine a time to start as any other time.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,448 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    iofred wrote: »
    I assume with a "diet" you mean calorie count? Using MFP and sticking to the calorie count "should be" a style of life rather than a diet, so using this you should not need to go on a diet, but you might include a couple of "Cheat days"

MFP is just a tool...it's not a lifestyle. It's a tool that can be used to help you along and teach you. The lifestyle aspect is actually changing the way you live your life...changing your eating habits to be healthier...regular exercise, etc. I used MFP for a handful of months while I was losing weight...haven't logged a thing in what will be four years this spring.

Absolutely ...

In my case, I used MFP as a tool to log regularly for two 16 week periods of time in order to increase my awareness and make some adjustments. I haven't logged regularly in a year now.

As for lifestyle ...

Exercise has been a part of my lifestyle since I could first move ... nothing new here.

I have also been slender most of my life.

And there's no way on earth I want to 'stick to my calorie count' for the rest of my life. I reached my goal a year ago ... I'm done!

But every once in a while, I go back on the diet for a short period of time in order to make those minor adjustments.

And relating back to this topic ... for me, the weeks approaching Christmas are a good time to do just that. :)