• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Interesting.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    As mentioned those BF% machines can be inaccurate depending on your fluid levels, etc.

Best way to lower BF%: caloric deficit, get adequate protein and strength/resistance training

Wow girl your profile pic is goals!!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    As mentioned those BF% machines can be inaccurate depending on your fluid levels, etc.

Best way to lower BF%: caloric deficit, get adequate protein and strength/resistance training

Wow girl your profile pic is goals!!

Aww thanks! ;)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Even calipers have their issues, and they are a far cry better than impedance scales.

To give you a personal example: due to loose skin from when I was morbidly obese, calipers tend to show me at around 11% bodyfat, even if I don't let the springs put any real pressure on the skin, and I use the fattiest parts of an area for a given fold. Here's a picture I took this morning as a before for starting my current cut. If I'm 11%, I'll kiss your *kitten*.

azroc8chjcca.jpeg

Now, what calipers are good for is trend tracking. Just like with tape measurements, you have to be consistent with placement, method, pressure applied, etc., but using them once every couple of weeks will give you a good idea of what your subcutaneous fat is doing.

Wouldn't loose skin tend to give you a higher %bf reading instead of a lower one, or am I misunderstanding?

No, because due to the skin being stretched, the subcutaneous fat is more dispersed, giving a lower density for the same mass, therefore allowing the calipers to close more than they would if the fat were held in place normally.

ETA: if I were to let the calipers function as intended and close via spring power for 2 seconds, the calcs put me at 8.6%, and lol.

I think this might be different for men vs. women.

I have loose skin, but fat isn't dispersed under it, at least not in any of the caliper testing areas. It tends to cling more, if that makes sense. I don't know if women ever lose that layer of fat in quite the way men can.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Even calipers have their issues, and they are a far cry better than impedance scales.

To give you a personal example: due to loose skin from when I was morbidly obese, calipers tend to show me at around 11% bodyfat, even if I don't let the springs put any real pressure on the skin, and I use the fattiest parts of an area for a given fold. Here's a picture I took this morning as a before for starting my current cut. If I'm 11%, I'll kiss your *kitten*.

azroc8chjcca.jpeg

Now, what calipers are good for is trend tracking. Just like with tape measurements, you have to be consistent with placement, method, pressure applied, etc., but using them once every couple of weeks will give you a good idea of what your subcutaneous fat is doing.

Wouldn't loose skin tend to give you a higher %bf reading instead of a lower one, or am I misunderstanding?

No, because due to the skin being stretched, the subcutaneous fat is more dispersed, giving a lower density for the same mass, therefore allowing the calipers to close more than they would if the fat were held in place normally.

ETA: if I were to let the calipers function as intended and close via spring power for 2 seconds, the calcs put me at 8.6%, and lol.

I have loose skin, but fat isn't dispersed under it, at least not in any of the caliper testing areas. It tends to cling more, if that makes sense. I don't know if women ever lose that layer of fat in quite the way men can.

What do you mean by dispersed or not dispersed?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

azroc8chjcca.jpeg

Well, I'm sort of wondering what Gallowmere means, because when I pinch my fat layer for the caliper test, I get a nice solid layer. It's not... dispersed.

My loose skin droops below the testing points or in other places.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

azroc8chjcca.jpeg

Well, I'm sort of wondering what Gallowmere means, because when I pinch my fat layer for the caliper test, I get a nice solid layer. It's not... dispersed.

I thought he was talking about the fat being spread over the (internal) surface area of the skin. With loose skin you'd have the fat spread over more surface area than without loose skin. If you took a 1 ft square piece of paper and spread 1 cup of Crisco over it and then took a 6" square piece of paper and spread 1 cup of Crisco over it, the layer of Crisco on the bigger paper would be thinner than on the smaller piece of paper.

I have to think this through some more.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

azroc8chjcca.jpeg

I thought he was talking about the fat being spread over the (internal) surface area of the skin. With loose skin you'd have the fat spread over more surface area than without loose skin. If you took a 1 ft square piece of paper and spread 1 cup of Crisco over it and then took a 6" square piece of paper and spread 1 cup of Crisco over it, the layer of Crisco on the bigger paper would be thinner than on the smaller piece of paper.

I have to think this through some more.

That is correct. When you have a larger surface area (more skin) but the same amount of stuff to fill it, the density goes down. Hell, that's what causes skin to be loose to begin with, well other than the obvious elasticity problems.

Believe me, pulling a skinfold on a male who is 30% bf who has good skin elasticity can be a pain in the butt, and requires decent hand strength. The fat beneath is nearly dense enough that it will make you question for a second if you didn't grab the muscle.