Exercising during your period! Good or bad?

Options
Am I the only one who doesn't like to workout during my period? I was reading about it and some people believe it is actually good for you. Any extra info on that?

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    It's individual preference. If you don't like it, don't do it. I find some cardio or swimming helps with the pain, but some times I just don't feel up to it.
  • Valeska2017
    Valeska2017 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    It's individual preference. If you don't like it, don't do it. I find some cardio or swimming helps with the pain, but some times I just don't feel up to it.

I like the swimming idea! I'll may try it this week. :smile:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Makes no difference to me
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    For me: Good
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    Most of the time it doesn't make any difference to me. I might have a particularly heavy day when I only want to go for a walk, but the rest of the time it is business as usual. It has to be.

• LazyNightOwl
    LazyNightOwl Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I feel better symptom wise when I exercise during my TOM. But I know some of my female friends don't so it all depends on how you feel about it.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    I like lifting or yoga during that time of the month and it helps with the pain but I don't care for pole dancing as everything hurts way more than normally.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Good for me.
  • Athomemermaid
    Athomemermaid Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Go with how you feel on the day?

I always take it easy the first 3 days and maybe try to do more walking but once it gets lighter and the cramps have eased then I feel 'normal' and full of energy.

Maybe try starting with light exercise and see how that goes.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I don't get one anymore, had surgery because it was out of hand heavy. But, even on my previous worst days, I found exercise, cardio and stretching, helped a lot with all symptoms. Even when I didn't want to I forced myself and always felt better.
  • Misssynth
    Misssynth Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Boosts my mood if anything, I just tend to not squat or deadlift when I'm on, but I carry on as normal otherwise.
  • PeachesNcreamgal
    PeachesNcreamgal Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Not on the first day coz I get pre menstrual diarrhea and cramps so it's impossible to do anything.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I feel like it ends quicker when I exercise
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I feel better when I am moving while on my period. If I sit for too long that is when I notice the pain. It's all a personal preference.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I like it. Generally distracts me from feeling a little off, and certain exercises seem to help my cramps (yoga, running).
  • Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    no exercise for me, it's a crazy period!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I just go with the flow. Heh. For the most part I do exercise but every once in awhile I'll feel really crummy and when that happens, I trade exercise for sleep. I do find that I tend to have a big strength dip right before my period starts, which can be annoying since I tend to get no warning until I have a weight over my head and suddenly get noodle arms, but once it actually starts I get much stronger.
  • luckyjen76
    luckyjen76 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I definitely do it helps mine go away much quicker
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Good--maybe better. I seem to have extra angst to work out and hit the gym harder than usual those days. ;-)