New to maintenance

Options
Is there any active maintainer groups?

Can I ask some of the longer term maintainers for a speech? What works for you? What keeps you going? How often do you weight yourself? How do you deal with the lack of weigh loss goal, with splurges as vacations and holidays? Do you still calorie count?

Any tips you would like to share. I am in maintenance in just over a month and it's little new to me. Last time I reached my goal weight I didn't take it seriously (maintenance phase). Lessons learned I plan differently this time!

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Hi, @HappyGrape, no tips from me yet -- I'm new to this too. Following along for all the great advice this group provides. I'm hanging in there so far (about 60 days) but it's been a bit of a battle for me. Each week gets a little easier though and I think I finally have my calories dialed in. I maintain a 5-pound range (145-150) and start back with a deficit if I hit 150. Friend me if you'd like.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I asked a similar question because I'm using my time losing weight learning how to maintain it. These are the answers I got...

Eat same foods as when losing
    Strength Training
    Have a weight range 3-5lbs if you get to that range reduce calories
    Some eat under maintenance for "banking" calories to eat higher once or twice a week
    Weigh often
    Make health/fittness your goal or make mini fitness goals to replace weight goal if you are goal oriented/motivated
    Most still count calories, some use the scale to indicate if they should reduce calories if they are over their weight range

This is a good thread I will keep an eye on it too!

• kzooyogi
    kzooyogi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Also stealing the original responder's format :)

What works for you?
    I still eat and exercise the same as I did when I was losing, except now I get to eat more calories.

What keeps you going?
    Knowing how easy it is to slip back to the place I came from. When I first came to MFP, I used it to lose 45 lbs. Then I went vegan and figured I didn't need to count anymore because vegan food is, for the most part, less calorie-rich than non-vegan food. This summer, I started noticing myself putting on weight (and not by stepping on the scale - but rather by looking at myself!). I had put on about 15 extra pounds. I was pretty disappointed in myself, and now having hit my goal weight a second time, I realize that the me that I am right now feels so much better than the me when I don't hold myself accountable.

How often do you weigh yourself?
    I weigh myself once a week, on Monday mornings, right after I wake up and use the bathroom. If I'm concerned, I'll hop on the scale any other day and just check in to see where I'm at, but typically it's just once per week. I also always log the weight that I see, even if it has gone up. I like to use MFP's graph feature to get a visual idea of where my weight has been over the period of time that I've been in maintenance.

How do you deal with the lack of weigh loss goal?
    It's a little challenging for me. After being so used to seeing the number consistently go down, it's hard to look at the scale and see that you've fluctuated up a bit. But now that I'm at my goal weight range, I also find that I'm disappointed in myself if I step on the scale and have gone even lower than my ideal weight range. You have to change your mindset that success is no longer in losing, but in maintaining your healthy state.

With splurges such as vacations and holidays?
    My husband always tells me that I'm the queen of self control. I will splurge every now and then, yes, but even then, my splurges only land me ~100 calories or so over my goal. With the holidays approaching, understand the difference between splurging and gluttony.

Do you still calorie count?
    I do, only because I'm a horrible estimator (not just with calories - with most things in life, ha!), and I've proven to myself that I can't be reasonable without having a log to hold myself accountable.

Any tips you would like to share.
    Maintenance is hard. So, be easy on yourself - instead of setting a goal weight, set a goal weight range. Maybe 5 pounds around your goal weight (2.5lbs below to 2.5 lbs above). Stick with counting for a few weeks so you can determine what your maintenance number truly is, and then if you feel like you can successfully maintain that range without counting, then give up counting. If you go over or under that 2.5lb mark, hop back on and start logging again until you are back, comfortably, within range.

Feel free to add me. Always looking for more maintenance friends! Congrats on your weight loss, and best of luck as the real work is yet to come!
  • mrsd1969
    mrsd1969 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    What works for you?
    I have been maintaining for one year tomorrow and I still work on calories in verses calories out, with a 250 deficit. I still weigh all my food as I love food and I know I would creep back to old habits if I didn't.

What keeps you going?
    Knowing that I am fitter and healthier than I have ever been and for the first time in my life my weight has been stable for the last year.

How often do you weight yourself?
    Weekly on a Wednesday and I log the weight whether it is up or down

How do you deal with the lack of weigh loss goal.
    I still have a goal everyday and that is to achieve ci/co - and a weekly goal to ensure I don't gain.

With splurges as vacations and holidays.
    I eat what I want on holidays but count every calorie and then increase my exercise either side of the holiday.

Yes, I have a very sweet tooth and I know I would gain if I didn't.

Any tips you would like to share.
    It is finding what works for you and then sticking to it. I find maintaining harder work than my weight lose journey but I have found my formula and I know it's worth it to me.
  • HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Love all the posts. Thanks so much all for taking the time to reply to my long list of questions, it's really helpful and also - reassuring and inspirational

Thank you
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options

I'll be maintaining my goal weight 4 years in early spring 2017 :smile:

What works for you? Keeping on being as active I was when I was losing and minimising the late evening snacks that used to be my downfall. When I was losing I aimed for around 15k steps a day, I still average that amount. Its like any habit, when you keep doing something it becomes routine and part of life.

What keeps you going? I love being a UK size 8/10 - I got rid of all my size 14's ages ago. There simply is nothing as great as feeling slim and fit :smile:

How often do you weight yourself? Most days, I like to chart my weight even in maintenance. The knowledge of knowing why my weight fluctuates was educating, no more worrying when I see the odd spike up for a few days, I know that 'gain' has happened because of hormones or a high sodium meal.

How do you deal with the lack of weigh loss goal, with splurges as vacations and holidays? My goal now is to maintain a +/-3lb range so that is my aim. During holidays/vacations I will enjoy some extra calories, around 500-800 extra per day whilst on holiday, but I don't go mad - I've gotten used to knowing when I'm full/satisfied and wont just eat something for the sake of it any longer. As soon as I get back from vacation its back to normal eating and exercising routine.

Do you still calorie count? No, haven't done for almost a year - or should I say I no longer log my foods. In my head I still mostly tot up the calories I eat daily, that continues to be a good habit and it helps keep me thinking about how much I am eating.

I find the whole maintenance smooth going and easy in general :smile:
  • girlgroves
    girlgroves Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    These are great questions - thanks everyone for posting. I've been maintaining for almost 6 months now, and whilst I'm not sure I have it completely sussed, I'm doing OK so far. There are some common themes in the posts above - some of which apply to me too, so that's encouraging!

What works for you?
    Continuing to log everyday, loving the exercise that I do and trying out new fitness activities. Eating more conservatively during the week, so that I can enjoy more food on the weekends. Recognising that a small splurge will not completely ruin the work I've done, logging it all and moving on afresh. Everything in moderation.

What keeps you going?
    Remembering the hard work it took to get here (I lost 56lbs) and determination that this is for life. I wasn't always overweight, but I'm currently the smallest I've ever been, possibly the fittest I've ever been, and working on becoming the strongest I've ever been!

How often do you weigh yourself?
    Daily, every morning. I'm used to the daily fluctuations so try not to obsess about the scale reading, but I do log each day's weight on a trending app (I use Libra) and then record once a week to also see the trend. I've given myself a goal range rather than one weight and I take action when I reach the middle of that range.

How do you deal with the lack of weight loss goal?
    It was tough at the beginning, because I loved to see the progress I was making while losing. But I have set myself other, fitness-related goals to focus on - 5k PBs, weight-lifting, plank durations - that kind of thing. My new goal is to reduce body fat percentage. I'm very slowly aiming at the lower end of my goal weight range to see how that feels.

With splurges such as vacations and holidays?
    I reached my goal weight just before the summer and went on holiday for 3 weeks soon after. I didn't calorie count but was active anyway and came back just 3lbs heavier than I went away. I didn't feel like I'd deprived myself in the least, and I quickly lost the gain afterwards. So that's going to be my strategy going forward.

Yes - I do. I'm fine with that at the moment. I'd love to be able not to, and I may get to that point in the future, but I don't eat the same number of calories every day so feel like I'm still adjusting my maintenance calories and I'm more comfortable with the information to hand.

Any tips?
    Keep doing what you are doing. Set yourself different goals. Use a weight range and don't panic the fluctuations. Stay vigilant. Enjoy! (This last one is probably the most important but is easier said than done for me at the moment - I'm still learning to relax and only just becoming more comfortable, but I'll get there! :smile: )

I think the key is to find what works for you. It is no doubt different for everyone, but it certainly needs to be sustainable, enjoyable and become second nature in order to be successful!
    This is my third (yes - third!!) time at this weight since I became an adult - looking back I can recognise exactly where I went wrong every other time and, whilst I recognise that my nature hasn't fundamentally changed (one biscuit is still never enough!), I am absolutely determined that this time is for keeps.

Good luck!!
  • HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I added everybody that offered their support and really enjoying having few maintainers on MFP friend list

Would love some more! If interested please add me

:)

It has been so helpful to read your answers. I am in such great form and feel so confident right now, thanks to reading posts of other more seasoned maintainers!

It's awesome that you are offering support to newbies!

• gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Can I say thanks HappyGrape for this post! I've read over all the replies and, to varying degrees, its what I do. I've been on maintenance for just under a year and a half and a mixture of the above advice from others is what keeps me right.

The thing that comes shining through in all the other posts - to me anyway - is that its the mind-set. I know that I view things differently from my previous weight loss, which I put back on - and then some! I now see this time it's about being healthy, not just about losing weight, that's where I went wrong in the past; that's what made the big difference to me. Being selective in my food choices, while being realistic and allowing the occasional indulgence, doing regular weekly exercise and taking an interest in being healthy is now part of my life. And from what I read here it seems that's what helps with maintenance. Best of luck to you, I've sent a friend request feel free to add me.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I've maintained almost 5 years. I log every day, weigh every morning, try to walk an hour a day, and fret about my food and weight not at all.

I eat things I know will taste really good in fairly small quantities and never skip something I really want because it's 'bad' or 'unhealthy' or 'high calorie'. I just don't eat very much of it and adjust my calorie intake to hit my goals every single week. (I am usually over for a week once or twice a year, but am often under.)

If it doesn't taste good, I don't eat it. I LOVE to eat and make the most out of every bite. I enjoy well cooked healthy food.

To me the key thing is goals. My goal was not to lose weight, it was to MAINTAIN a healthy weight for the rest of my life. Every morning I get on that scale and I'm in my weight zone and I dance the happy dance. The times I've popped out of my weight zone I've dropped back into a deficit and kept at it until I was back where I was supposed to be.

It's not rocket science. Log, exercise, enjoy eating, don't eat when you're not hungry, hit your goals.