Any grad students here?

Options
During my senior year of college I used MFP to lose 15 pounds...
Started my PhD program last fall, and gained 40! Everyone warned me of this happening. If anyone else here is in grad school and wants to add me as a friend I think that would be awesome!

Replies

• Li6erty
    Li6erty Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    3rd year lung physiology PhD here! Trying to gain weight. Hope your studies are going well. What's your PhD?
  • jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    3rd year lung physiology PhD here! Trying to gain weight. Hope your studies are going well. What's your PhD?

Nice! I'm in social/health psychology. Specifically studying how our social and cognitive processes relate to skin cancer prevention and detection.

Any tips for staying more active? Before my program I worked on my feet. Desk life is killing me!
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Yes, getting my MBA while working full time. Trying to lose weight- 16 lbs gone and 38 to go.
  • Li6erty
    Options
    jenxbowers wrote: »

Nice! I'm in social/health psychology. Specifically studying how our social and cognitive processes relate to skin cancer prevention and detection.

Any tips for staying more active? Before my program I worked on my feet. Desk life is killing me!

Few different disciplines there! Cool!

Tips? Not so much :/ but I can tell you what works for me - getting up early (06:00) gym mon-fri, 45-60min each session. This achieves a few things; gets me active, showered, clears my head and energises (yes, energises!) me for the day ahead. Also, my days start early so I can get more work done in the lab etc.

I find exercise is an essential outlet from work. You could get your gym on before the desk!
    Also, (if possible) walking, running or cycling to work would increase your activity levels.

Hope some of that helps.

• cabwj
    cabwj Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    2nd year Ed.D. here. I agree with DarthLiberty- getting my fitness routine done in the morning leaves no chance for slacking on it later in the day and sets my mind up for productivity.
  • jen_092
    Options
    Relser wrote: »
    Yes, getting my MBA while working full time. Trying to lose weight- 16 lbs gone and 38 to go.

Nice, keep it up!
  • jen_092
    Options

Tips? Not so much :/ but I can tell you what works for me - getting up early (06:00) gym mon-fri, 45-60min each session. This achieves a few things; gets me active, showered, clears my head and energises (yes, energises!) me for the day ahead. Also, my days start early so I can get more work done in the lab etc.

I find exercise is an essential outlet from work. You could get your gym on before the desk!
    Also, (if possible) walking, running or cycling to work would increase your activity levels.

Hope some of that helps.

Cool, that makes sense. Thanks! I like the idea of a morning workout since I prefer showering in the morning. I could benefit from more routine in general - I'm looking forward to finishing my coursework so I can just focus on research and have a more predictable schedule.
  • jen_092
    Options
    cabwj wrote: »
    2nd year Ed.D. here. I agree with DarthLiberty- getting my fitness routine done in the morning leaves no chance for slacking on it later in the day and sets my mind up for productivity.

Thanks for your input! :)
  • Li6erty
    Options

Hope some of that helps.

Cool, that makes sense. Thanks! I like the idea of a morning workout since I prefer showering in the morning. I could benefit from more routine in general - I'm looking forward to finishing my coursework so I can just focus on research and have a more predictable schedule.

Glad it was some use.

One more thing, getting up early is pretty tough -very dark here in the morning. I dunno if it's applicable but an alarm linked to a light source or something similar may be a good investment which helps with the getting up process.

...the words research and predictable in the same sentence, how nice (:

• kinesiologic
    kinesiologic Posts: 22 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Yay! Fellow grad students! - Hello, my people!

I have an MPH, and am currently completing a double PhD in Kinesiology and Clinical Health Psychology. My focus is on health behaviour and physical activity promotion! (The great irony: I'm too busy researching exercise to exercise myself!) I've just joined MFP, with the goals of (1) eating more home-cooked meals and (2) hitting the gym more regularly.
  • jen_092
    Options
    Yay! Fellow grad students! - Hello, my people!

I have an MPH, and am currently completing a double PhD in Kinesiology and Clinical Health Psychology. My focus is on health behaviour and physical activity promotion! (The great irony: I'm too busy researching exercise to exercise myself!) I've just joined MFP, with the goals of (1) eating more home-cooked meals and (2) hitting the gym more regularly.

Not only a fellow grad student, but a fellow health psychology grad student! Cool! It's always a struggle trying to practice what we preach. Since taking up skin health behaviors I've been making a better effort to wear sunscreen :)
  • benstronger
    benstronger Posts: 381 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Hello there! I'm a grad student but am still halfway through my medical training - 3rd Year Medicine! :)

I found what works best for me in terms of staying active:

1. Take every opportunity you get to get your legs moving - e.g. printing paper / meeting someone to ask for something / take the stairs - keeps you active and helps with losing weight and fat loss!

2. Make time for the gym, it's only an hour a day! :smiley: Morning workouts are the best, but I prefer evening workouts when I have fuel inside me to burn - but whatever works best for you is the best workout!

Hope this helps!
  • kinesiologic
    kinesiologic Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Morning workouts are a great idea! I'm just getting off a week of 2:30 nights (paper after paper after report) - and am trying to get my sleep back to a quasi-normal schedule. 7AM gym dates would be brilliant
  • ekowsmama
    ekowsmama Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Started my MBA last year and had no time for anything. I gained 50 pounds in 3 month. Thank you Dunkin Donuts. I've lost 20 pounds so far. I started intermittent diet and increasing my workout. Feeling pretty good about being able to balance things now. I think the key is to find a balance in whatever works. Good luck everyone!!!