cooking steel cut oats for one overnight

Options
andielyn
andielyn Posts: 233 Member
Has anyone cooked a single serving of steel cut oats overnight in a mini-crockpot or otherwise? Not looking for recipes, only cooking method. Any recommendations for a mini-crockpot model, any have automatic warming after x hours? Thanks for sharing experiences. Sorry if I've missed this, previous posts are recipes or cooking bigger batches and/or freezing individual servings.

Replies

• Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I have this every morning. What I do is make 1 cup of oats, 4 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 8 hours on slow. In the morning I weigh the entire batch and divide by 4, then eat 1/4 every morning. If you only wanted to make a small batch, 1/4 uncooked is a serving, so you could do 1/4 cup and 1 cup of water and maybe a dash of salt?
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I have two brands of steel cut oats in my pantry: Flahavan's and McCann's. Both cook in only five minutes in the microwave: put in a bowl with milk or water, nuke for three minutes, stir, nuke for two more, stir again. No need to buy a mini-crockpot. If you cook in the microwave, you need to make sure the bowl is large enough so it doesn't boil over.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have used a small dip crock pot for this...it only has on/off no temp control, but it worked great...put it in before bed, oats are ready in the morning!