Adding a fiber supplement made a big difference in my appetite.

Options
Adding a psyllium husk fiber supplement just made a big difference in controlling my appetite. What I did notice however was the sugar content in the major brand supps or a sugar substitute. May sound dumb, but has anyone else noticed an appetite decrease after a fiber supplement? Also, I realize that the husk fibers are known to bother some with intestinal upset, but this didn't happen to me.

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I don't take a fiber supplement, but I do make fiber-rich muffins (11g of fiber per muffin) and fill the rest with vegetables, grains and fruits. I do notice a difference.
  • Valrotha
    Valrotha Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I use meal replacement shakes to help lose weight, and I use a fiber supplement powder in the shake. And yes, I've noticed the same thing.
  • snerggly
    snerggly Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Adding a psyllium husk fiber supplement just made a big difference in controlling my appetite. What I did notice however was the sugar content in the major brand supps or a sugar substitute. May sound dumb, but has anyone else noticed an appetite decrease after a fiber supplement? Also, I realize that the husk fibers are known to bother some with intestinal upset, but this didn't happen to me.

You are actually on to something. I "eat" my fiber, lot's of greens, apples, whole grains like brown rice, quinoa and beans. I feel fuller longer. Also, my doctor told me that Glucomana which is a fiber supplement made from sweet potatoes half an hour before meals helps with satiety. The brand I use has 0 sugar. I don't take it as much any longer due to the amount of whole plants and fruits in my diet.
  • cottonanddust
    cottonanddust Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Evidently these supplements claim to lower cholesterol (I hope LDL levels) but I'm assuming food fiber does the same.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I use Konsyl nearly every day. It's nothing more than finely ground psyllium husk though, so it mixes very well into everything from proats to shakes, and had a bit of a thickening effects without throwing flavor too much.
    Between that stuff and protein fluff, anyone who can't get through a hellcut due to hunger has issues that aren't actual hunger.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    For lunch everyday i make a "pudding" of 40g protein powder, 10-15g of coconut oil and 25g of psyllium husk powder, It keeps me full for hours. If i were to have the equivalent calories in a chicken or tuna sandwich for example, it wouldn't keep me full for as long.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I have to be careful with fibre, I've noticed if I have too much (35-45g) I get gas and constipation. I rely on protein and healthy fats to fill me up.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I eat a high fiber diet (30 g/day on average). It has helped with my blood sugars, keeping my hypoglycemia in check better than anything ever has. Whether that's impacted my satiety I really can't say, there's too many other things going on for me to make that conclusion.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I get a lot of fibre from food (easily over 30 grams/day on average). If I don't, I get hungry.
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Yep, I've found a fibre supplement really helpful to stay full for longer, I'm vegan and I get lots of fibre anyhow
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I don't use a fiber supplement generally but like @snerggly I eat my fiber. I prefer as much as possible to eat lots of raw vegetables/salads as they make me feel full for much longer than the calories would.
    At present my fiber 'supplement' is a kiwi a day. Eating fiber does not only help me massively with satiety but also my bowel movements.
  • akcrowder952
    akcrowder952 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I bought the psyllium husk capsules but have not tried them yet. I'm interested to see if they help. Do you take them before a meal, with, or after? I work night shift and was thinking about taking it before I go to sleep in the morning.
  • Chilli7777
    Chilli7777 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I take 30g psyllium husk daily. It has been great for giving me a good clean out!
  • ahmshaki
    ahmshaki Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    What time of the day is best to take the fiber supplement for killing the appetite?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I eat a high fiber diet (30 g/day on average). It has helped with my blood sugars, keeping my hypoglycemia in check better than anything ever has. Whether that's impacted my satiety I really can't say, there's too many other things going on for me to make that conclusion.

Well, getting blood sugar in balance will often help prevent seemingly random hunger spikes as well, so if the fiber has helped, it could be an either/or/both type of thing.

For me, psyl/xan and casein seem to have a similar effect, so I'm more likely to believe it has to do with stuff hanging around in my gut for a while. Then again, I don't exactly bother tracking my blood sugar, so that could be involved as well, and I'm just not seeing it firsthand.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I eat a high fiber diet as part of my efforts to control familial high cholesterol, and I find fiber very satiating.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I eat a high fiber diet as part of my efforts to control familial high cholesterol, and I find fiber very satiating.

same here,and some days its not very nice smelling in here lol
  • genghis54
    genghis54 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    find your nearest indian supermarket and get your husks there
    much cheaper and no crap added!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    genghis54 wrote: »
    find your nearest indian supermarket and get your husks there
    much cheaper and no crap added!

What added crap are you talking about? The one i buy is 100% psyllium husk powder