Low blood pressure?

Options
2»

Replies

• Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    My blood pressure runs on the low side most of the time, at the dr's last week it was 88/60 and that was after waiting 45 mins when I had an 8 am apt and I was fuming lol
    Sometimes I get light headed but I think its more dehydration and hunger usually rather than my blood pressure
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    a_candler wrote: »
    Any one else start to experience low blood pressure when they began eating healthier.

Yes. I've always had low blood pressure, and it does give me symptoms. I sometimes have dizzy spells, a strange disembodied sensation, and I faint. Doctors thoroughly tested me when I was in my early 20s, and in the end simply told me to eat more salt and stay well hydrated. If that didn't work, we could go from there. So I did, and it worked.

When I cut back on processed foods, if I'm not mindful I can easily stop consuming the amount of salt I need. Then I become a fainting ghost again.

As others have said, it's smart to see your doctor about this.

About how much "extra" salt do u think you eat to stop the spells? This is what my dr said, but it hasn't helped much. As I mentioned before bending over is the only thing I've found to make it stop but nothing so far that prevents it.

I'm sorry it hasn't helped. I know for me, when I reach that point where the faint feels imminent, I have to lie down on my back to prevent it. It takes a while to feel normal again. It's an awful feeling, isn't it? :(

I don't know exactly how much salt I consume. I use a heavy hand with salt when cooking. That on its own has never been enough to fully compensate for the loss of processed food, so I make sure to drink V8 almost every day. I also keep some high salt prepared foods as a staple in my diet, like refried beans.

You may also need more water since, as you know, dehydration contributes to low blood pressure. I have to consume what seems to me a ridiculously large amount every day to keep my symptoms in check. The most recent advice my dr gave me on that front was to drink half my weight (lbs) in ounces, plus water on top of that to compensate for exercise. The amount she advised when exercising was slightly less than what this site says http://greatist.com/fitness/how-much-water-should-you-drink-while-exercising-infographic

It did help a lot.

If the situation gets really bad and these methods don't help, there is medication that could raise your blood pressure. I'm not endorsing that, just saying it's available if needed. I hope it starts to get better for you!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    a_candler wrote: »
    Any one else start to experience low blood pressure when they began eating healthier.

Yes. I've always had low blood pressure, and it does give me symptoms. I sometimes have dizzy spells, a strange disembodied sensation, and I faint. Doctors thoroughly tested me when I was in my early 20s, and in the end simply told me to eat more salt and stay well hydrated. If that didn't work, we could go from there. So I did, and it worked.

When I cut back on processed foods, if I'm not mindful I can easily stop consuming the amount of salt I need. Then I become a fainting ghost again.

As others have said, it's smart to see your doctor about this.

About how much "extra" salt do u think you eat to stop the spells? This is what my dr said, but it hasn't helped much. As I mentioned before bending over is the only thing I've found to make it stop but nothing so far that prevents it.

I have 1 or sometimes 2 teaspoons of salt per day.

Lower carb helped me too. Mix crashing blood glucose and low BP and that was when it really hit me hard. Low BP was never an issue immediately after eating. Two three hours later was when it affected me. Now that I rely on carbs less for fuel, I don't get the BG or BP swings.