So, thanksgiving.

Options
Not sure how to maneuver thanksgiving dinner. I'm having it with my family, and they're 100% anti-diet and anti-calorie counting. No way to track cals- I don't want to have to fake a stomach ache, but there doesn't seem to be an alternative. Wish me luck! :)

Replies

• savanaburen
    savanaburen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    take a picture of your plate before you eat (if you can...claim its for social media or something) and then later on after dinner, do your best to log what you ate

I've got no idea what the cal content is for most of what we'll probably end up having, not to mention portion size.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    take a picture of your plate before you eat (if you can...claim its for social media or something) and then later on after dinner, do your best to log what you ate

I've got no idea what the cal content is for most of what we'll probably end up having, not to mention portion size.

Estimate how much you take...half a cup of mashed potatoes, or a cup and a half if that's your thing ;-) you're not going to be super accurate because you don't know how much cream or butter went in, but you can make an effort. Take normal amounts of things, not Thanksgiving amounts.
  • savanaburen
    savanaburen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You could always just NOT log for one meal and enjoy it. Start all over again Friday morning. One huge meal isn't going to kill ALL your progress. We didn't get fat by eating only one meal... it took MANY!!
    Yeah, that's true. A very good point.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    MsAmandaNJ wrote: »

Estimate how much you take...half a cup of mashed potatoes, or a cup and a half if that's your thing ;-) you're not going to be super accurate because you don't know how much cream or butter went in, but you can make an effort. Take normal amounts of things, not Thanksgiving amounts.

^^this - its an estimation game - i did it yesterday for a thanksgiving pot luck at work...i know my logging wasn't accurate, but it helped me mentally to see the numbers in my log
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

many of the typical thanksgiving foods (Turkey, Green Bean Casserole etc) are in the database
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I guess as best I can but don't worry about it too much. Like the others say, it's just a day, and all things in moderation. I also tend to have a very light breakfast and lunch.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Do you know what they are called or are they a complete mystery? Log a similar recipe or item from the database. You can get a guess. Unless your family makes really non-standard stuff it is probably in the database.
    Take small portions of everything you want. Don't get a second heaping plate. Drink water or low calorie drinks.
    Eat a light breakfast or skip breakfast or plan to eat a little lighter the day before or after.
    Don't stress about it. One meal will not do any lasting damage.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I've just resigned myself that this will be my one day of not logging. Period. I haven't missed a day since September. I will log my breakfast and lunch and then give it up. I already know that I'm going to have 1 pieces of pie and one serving of cheesecake brownies, mashed potatoes, stuffing, broccoli salad, etc. I am going to eat what I want but just one plate of food and I'm done. It will probably add 1,000 calories to my day, but it's one day.
  • kksmom1789
    kksmom1789 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I found a picture on pinterest that shows you portions sizes guesstimates by your hands i'm going to go off that
  • Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I had one of my two feasts already (the other is Saturday) and I simply ate what I pleased, in quantities I pleased. I was so stuffed that supper ended up being an apple lol. I didn't attempt logging of breakfast (eggs and bacon easy enough, salted caramel bread pudding made by someone else not so much lol!) Or the noon meal. I was up 1.2 the next morning and it's gone plus .4lbs as of today. I've set my mind to "as long as I maintain" for this week to 10 days I'm fine. Christmas week will be the same. I refuse to pass on special dishes and meals for the sake of 2lbs. I'm also set for a .5lb/week loss through December. Once January comes, it's back on the grind. Until then, mindful indulgence it is.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I am taking the it's one day and not logging approach. Going to eat a serving of everything I want to enjoy, and call it a day.
  • creatrixbeatrix
    creatrixbeatrix Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have tiny bits of all the things... There is usually so much food that any more than one bite of everything would be too much. The people who do the cooking make enough to feed a football team. Fortunately "dinner" is at 2pm so I'll have time to digest and take a nice long walk after I get home.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    one day. one meal. not a big deal.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I already have Thanksgiving dinner pre logged. Is it completely accurate? Nope, I am estimating for one day. Although, I am in maintenance, I did the same thing while losing. We've all heard it before, we didn't gain all our weight in one day. One day wont hurt. For me personally, I have to remind myself, that it's not Thanksgiving week lol, and not an excuse for every day.