When did you start jogging/running? And how do you deal with joint pain?

Options
Mary_Anastasia
Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
edited November 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi, I would like to get to the point of being a jogger. I do 5ks, but I walk most of it, maybe jog 1/4 of it :/ Were you a particular size or weight when you were comfortable enough to start to try jogging? Did you work up to it by just starting to jog a little more with each walk?

Bonus question: I have OA *and* RA, in my feet, both knees, and both hips: does anyone have tips for this aspect?

Thanks!

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I have both OA and PsA. I started running by doing C25K when I weighed around 165 pounds. I'm short, so I was still overweight.

I had a very solid base of walking ... a lot of walking... before I started running.

I have found that researching form and paying attention to it helps with the joint pain. The advice to go slow as well as to rest and take your time to build endurance before you ever, ever worry about speed is spot on. I now run almost daily without issue.

FTR, your problem areas are my problem areas too.

Also? The importance of being properly fitted for good running shoes cannot be overstated. I did find that as I lost weight, my feet hurt less and less, but they still act up. Good shoes really help in this respect, as does having proper foot strike.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I was already at goal weight and had been lifting for about a year. I used the Zombies, Run C25K app to get going.

On the OA and RA - have you spoken to your rheumatologist about whether running is going to be a problem for you? There is a good amount of joint stress from running. I'd want to get the all clear before proceeding.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    how active is your ra? mine seems to be dormant and i lift weights and cycle. but i've never yet found a way i could run and i definitely don't think i'd be doing the lifting either if it got active again.

'arthritis' can mean anything from the kind of luck that i've had so far to far more serious situations. what i was told was that permanent deformity partly comes from stressing the connective tissue around joints while it's already weaker and under strain from the inflammation.

so i hate to be a drag, but 'ask your rheumatologist' probably is the best path. even better, if you've got access to any kind of 'team' that are r.a. aware, ask your physio or even occupational therapist first. [if you're in canada, five bucks right here says they'll try to get you into a swimming pool *big eyeroll*]

the other thing to watch for with r.a. is fatigue. i hope you do find something that works well for you, but i can't help playing the doom-and-gloom thing and saying 'don't mess with fatigue!' if it's one of the ways it hits you. gl.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I have RA and after a few months I went from just walking to running two half marathons in the same weekend.

I would give you the same tips for any new runner.

Use the C25k app.

Find your slowest speed and run slower.

Get professionally fitted at a runner store for shoes iF possible. It can make the difference on injuries and pain and usually cost the same as any good pair of running shoes.

See if ghee us a running club in your area.

Warm up before your run and stretch well after your run.

Dress as if it was 20 degrees warmer outside so you don't feel uncomfortable.

Some tips I would give my fellow RA and autoimmune new runners.

Make sure your rhuemmy is cool with the idea.

If you can when you start, try to keep one foot on the ground at all times until your body can handle the shock.

Have fun, get lost in thought.

• TimothyPhoenix
    TimothyPhoenix Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hi, I would like to get to the point of being a jogger. I do 5ks, but I walk most of it, maybe jog 1/4 of it :/ Were you a particular size or weight when you were comfortable enough to start to try jogging? Did you work up to it by just starting to jog a little more with each walk?

Bonus question: I have OA *and* RA, in my feet, both knees, and both hips: does anyone have tips for this aspect?

Thanks!
    Google couch to 5K and utilize the program, it really works. I am currently somewhere between 230-235 lbs. About 5 years ago I was 308 lbs. The only exercise that I could do comfortably until I got down to about 240 was walking. I was 240 when I started the C25K program 2 months ago. I just ran my first 5K this past sunday and did so in 35 minutes and didn't stop to walk at all. I wasn't sure I was going to be able to do that when I started the program but like I said, it works. It's a lot of interval training for the first several weeks so you should be fine.

As far as knee pain, I only experienced it mildly until later in the program when I felt the pressure of the race coming up and went off of the program and over trained. I ended up alternating extremely hot and ice cold baths for the pain which helped. I had some pain while I was running the race, and for a day or two afterwards but nothing major. I assume and hope as I continue to lose weight the knee pain will no longer be an issue but at the end of the day it wasn't anything I couldn't battle through.

You can definitely do it though. Going back to my younger days when I was in great shape and an athlete I still didn't do a lot of running, I just didn't like it. I am getting over that hump though and after I take this week off I am going right back after it because I figure if I could surprise myself and run an entire 5K, maybe I can surprise myself and run an entire 5K in under 30 minutes next.
  • Misssynth
    Misssynth Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I agree with the C25k programme. I started running that way. For me it wasn't a good fit to see me through the whole way, I stopped using it after week 4 but by then I had a decent base to start working on running the whole thing myself, and I now can. I'm no where near my goal weight, I'm currently 202lb! Remember most of the work running is actually in your mind, once I figured that out and learned to push past the urge to walk when I didn't really NEED to (unless youre in pain, you can probably keep running) then I managed to run the whole thing!
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Try to strike the ground more- so towards the front, outer part of your foot, so the calves absorb more impact. Also, take a glucosamine chondroitin with msm supplement for your joints. Turmeric combined with pepper reduces inflammation.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I started c25k at 288lbs and I had foot pain in both my feet. within the first month of doing this and watching my calorie intake I had lost 15 lbs and my foot pain was all but gone. as of this morning I've lost 65lbs and hit my first goal weight however I still have about another 20-30 lbs I could lose. I ran my first half marathon after running for 5 months and have ran a 5k since. I run 3 times per week in ll kinds of weather and find it relaxing now.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    not to take anything from the 'healthy' people who used c25k and had it work for them even though they were untrained when they started out. but pre-existing joint damage and inflammation that originates in a person's own immune system independently of any or all types of activity . . . these are a different beast.

just sayin'. it doesn't mean the op can't do it or won't be fine. but 'i did it, you can as well!' doesn't always translate well across the immune-system divide.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I started running (hate the term 'jogging') when I reached my goal weight. I had been walking while losing weight. Like so many others, I used C25K.