granola

Options
AnneElise
AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
I am interested in making granola and yogurt one of my snacks in the day... any suggestions on granola people like? I am not a huge fan of raisons so if they can be avoided....

Replies

• LuRox
    LuRox Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I was just looking for granola recipes yesterday online. Do a yahoo search for "how to make granola", I bet you can find an easy recipe that's just what you are looking for! I love yogurt fruit and granola parfaits!!! Oats, almonds and honey makes really yummy granola!
  • shannahrose
    shannahrose Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    This recipe was posted a few weeks ago and i just made it last week - it's delicious and easity altered. i mix it 1/4 cup with plain yogurt and blueberries or craisins. I made it with almonds instead of pecans and left out the wheat germ cause i didn't have any on hand. the nutritional info for my variation in in the database as "shannah homemade almond coconut granola".

Pecan Coconut Granola

4 cups old fashioned oats
    1 cup pecans chopped
    1 cup flaked coconut
    1/2 cup wheat germ flakes
    1 cup raisins
    2/3 cups honey
    1 T water
    1 t vanilla
    2 T oil

Put oatmeal, pecans, coconut and wheat germ flakes in a bowl, mix lightly. Stir together honey, water, vanilla, and oil, then combine well with dry mixture. Spread in a 3-quart, lightly oiled baking pan. Bake at 325º for 20-25 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Add raisins after baking. When cool, store in airtight container. Serve with milk or eat as a snack.

Makes 6 to 8 servings.
  • aprueitt
    aprueitt Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Here is a granola recipe that is really yummy. I am sure you can tweak it to be low fat.

2 Cups of Oatmeal
    1 Cup Coconut
    1/4 cup honey
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup honey
    3tbs veg. oil
    1 cup nuts (optional)

Mix together spread out on cookie sheet toast in over until golden brown.
    350 -400 for about 10 minutes.

It is so easy and so good.
  • jaylu
    jaylu Posts: 158
    Options
    bump :)
    was looking for a healthy flapjack recipe but this might be a good replacement-thanks guys!
  • jaylu
    jaylu Posts: 158
    Options
    and just so there is no confusion- flapjack in britain isn't a pancake which i think it is in america-we call granola bars flapjacks... rolled oats, dried fruit, honey etc baked and cut into bars = yum but a lot of recipes have so much butter and sugar in them they go from healthy to not healthy very quickly!!
  • Tami22
    Tami22 Posts: 56
    Options
    I don;t have a recipe but I LOVE Kellogg's Low Fat Granola. It's in a green box at the grocery store. I have low fat vanilla yogurt, granola and blueberries for breakfast almost every day!!! GOOD LUCK!!!
  • kvsweatt
    kvsweatt Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I like the "Back to Nature" granola. It comes in a variety of flavors and they even have little "to-go" bags. I tried to make my own (several times) and couldn't find a recipe that would either A) turn out how I expect granola to be, nice and crunchy or B) cost less than bying it.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! very helpful!
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    mixmygranola.com
    my favorite. custom made granola!
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options