Your thoughts on Thanksgiving dinner.

Options
TOXUTHAT
TOXUTHAT Posts: 38 Member
Greetings,
I was just wondering how you intend to deal with Thanksgiving dinner? I know at my house, the table will be full of food and deserts. I will probably eat what ever I want, just not eat too much.
Your thoughts?

Replies

• Grey_1
    Grey_1 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    TOXUTHAT wrote: »
    Greetings,
    I was just wondering how you intend to deal with Thanksgiving dinner? I know at my house, the table will be full of food and deserts. I will probably eat what ever I want, just not eat too much.
    Your thoughts?

That about sums it up for me.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,507 Member
    Options
    I'll hit the gym in the morning and enjoy the entire day.

Family, Football & Food

(Not necessarily in that order )
  • roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving and my birthday are the only days that I will eat all day. I'm going to enjoy my Thanksgiving and eat whatever and however much I want.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    The actual dinner itself? I'm going to have to talk to people in my family I hate.

The food? I hope people like the stuff I bring and I cannot wait for the stuffing and turkey.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Its only 3 of us this year so I'm taking my fiance and son out to a high end holiday buffet. We will do our regular work outs, watch football, get dressed up, then spend a few hours enjoying our meal before coming home with no left overs.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

Family, Football & Food

It didn't even occur to me to go to the gym. Thanks for the tip!
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I try to fill up on the turkey and vegs, rather than the stuffing and mashed potatoes and gravy. ;-)
    But, I will definitely be enjoying a nice piece of pumpkin pie with real heavy whipped cream. Probably will go over my calorie allotment but not by a huge amount.
  • Cerealsensei
    Cerealsensei Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I was worried at first until i realized that since ive been losing weight i honestly cant even pig out like i used to. I ordered chinese the other night and after about 5 bites of orange chicken i was ready to roll over, I had to give the rest of it away. i'm sure i still wont be eating the most healthy foods but it wont be like previous years where im getting 3-4 plates, im pretty sure im gonna be down for the count really early in the day. Cant wait for some sweet potato pie though.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I do all the cooking. We are four. We will have a chicken and the few sides that we traditionally have. I'm pretty sure I can manage it all within my calorie budget for the day.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

Family, Football & Food

This. Plus, I only take what I really want. I don't feel obligated to try everything. Then I keep it in moderation, I get full and still will probably go over cals but I won't feel guilty about it. I also keep a slight deficit every day for these things and any errors. It's your weekly number that really counts in the end. Good luck :)
  • gregproctor44
    gregproctor44 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I don't watch my macros and workout in order to NOT enjoy life. It's one day. You probably have 3-4 throughout the year where you just shouldn't care and enjoy yourself- family, holiday, etc.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Steak & Salmon. And ginger cake. But then, there's just 2 of us. We get to eat like kings cuz we aren't feeding a crowd.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Gym in the morning too. Small amount of turkey, mashed potatoes, veggies. Try not to go nuts on desserts (I usually fail).

I'm just annoyed because it's been a bad week so far and I've been so hungry I'm already in the red :(
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I am avoiding peoples and family drama..very small crowd. I am cooking all things Thanksgiving along with pie.

Workout early a.m. is a must (maybe a few extra miles in my run).. Football, Xmas movies and the dog show are must sees..
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm going to my mom's, as are some other family members. She knows I've been trying to lose weight for years and she knows that I've finally seen some real success over this past year with low carb. We talked about the menu, and of course she is going to have traditional Thanksgiving foods for everyone. I'm going to eat turkey, green beans, deviled eggs, and whatever other low carb vegetables show up. I'm also going to prepare a cauliflower mash / substitute for mashed potatoes. As I've done the past few years, I'm also doing a hike. This year, it will be on Fri. - Sat. (so only camping 1 night this year) and one of my brothers is coming along.
  • ACrazyNightOwl
    ACrazyNightOwl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Go for a run in the morning then eat a bunch but keep it as low carb as possible.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are that it's just a day...I will eat, drink, and make merry with my friends and family...it's pretty irrelevant to the big picture.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    TOXUTHAT wrote: »
    Greetings,
    Your thoughts?

I'm cooking all the food and cleaning up.
    I probably won't eat much for breakfast... maybe an apple.
    I'll have a plate of food at lunch and dinner and one piece of pie. I will exceed my calorie goal. It'll be okay.
    Day after Thanksgiving will be back to normal.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Same thing I do at every dinner, be it at home or anywhere else. Eat what I normally would. Some meat, some veg and some carbs. Just because its a holiday does not mean you have to eat like you never seen turkey before. Also this going to the gym to pre-burn the calories is just dumb. Why punish yourself so that you can have that extra few bites?

Why not? I exercise every day - why would Thanksgiving be any different?

The main issue for me really is dessert. I don't typically eat pie because the calories are crazy, so yeah, I'm always over on Thanksgiving. It's that or just depriving myself and it would be kinda silly... but I eat less of the entree to make up for it (well, a little fraction of it). So 'eat as I normally would' just isn't applicable.

I don't drink fortunately, and I really don't care for green beans so the whole 'loading up on veggies' thing usually doesn't work for me, but we're doing braised veggies this year instead, so it's all good.

But yeah, the sweet tooth pretty much always does me in.