alternative to counting calories?

Options
hi all- does anyone NOT count calories while losing weight? and if so, what do you do? eat in moderation? cut out a food group?

just wondering what others do :)

thanks!!

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Buy Georgie Fears book Lean Habits
    You can also look into Precision Nutrition portion control. They gave a detailed infographic on it.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I lost some weight naturally when I moved from the country to the city, took up a waitress job (and walked a couple miles to work), and was too poor to eat anything but soup. The weight I lost was minimal. I felt great but it still barely put me at a healthy weight.

Otherwise, I've only had luck calorie counting. Even AFTER I calorie counted I tried weight maintenance and loss with logging and completely sucked.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I counted calories for a few months until I had an established food plan and knew my portion sizes. After I stopped counting, I continued to lose 125 more pounds.
    I cut back drastically on carbs, like extra bread, pasta, sweets etc. because it seemed this was where I was collecting the most excess calories. I still had 50% carbs, so not "low carb" at all. But this helped me a lot.
  • trinati2001
    trinati2001 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    My father in law did a diet through his dr where he counted only fat. He ate almost no fat. He has lost well over a hundred pounds. Now to keep loosing weight he has had to cut out all processed sugar (expect for what is naturally in fruit). But he is very abnormal in that he is black in white and single mindenly focused.