Measuring oils

Options
Just wondering what methods you are using to measure oils for salads etc?

I have been setting my food scale to mls, and then measuring what it records as 1-2mls for olive oil but I wonder how acurate that really is?

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Appx my thumb length is enough oil for me.
    Tbsp is the usual measurement I believe.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Put bowl on scale. Tare. Add oil. Record weight. Find an entry with grams as an option.

If I can't find an entry for the oil in grams, record the entry as if it was in mL. Most oils have densities in the 0.8 g/mL range, so just divide your mass by 0.8 to get a volume in mL.

As far as I'm concerned, the mL button on your scale is absolutely useless. It's assuming you're weighing water so it's just changing the unit from grams to mL without doing anything to the number.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I bought a little medicine cup from the chemist - it's pretty good for measuring small liquids. I don't like having the extra washup/leftover liquid clinging to the cup but I like the accuracy for calorie-heavy items
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,996 Member
    Options
    I generally use a measuring spoon -- 1 or 2 teaspoons, sometimes only half a teaspoon -- for the amounts I would use in sauteeing, dressing a salad, finishing pasta or veggies, etc. At those low amounts, volume measurements are as accurate or more accurate than my scale, which sometimes doesn't believe anything has really changed when the difference is less than 5 grams, and resets itself to zero. If I use larger amounts, I weigh the oil in grams.

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Not perfect, but definitely close enough.

http://convert-to.com/edible-cooking-oils-weight-volume-measures-conversion

For example, it gives me 13.9g for a 15ml (2 tbsp) serving of EVOO. Most readily available food scales don't measure to tenths of a gram anyway, though mine does, as I use a digital that's intended for an asphalt lab. It's extremely sensitive and costs about $400, which is more than all but the most dedicated (obsessive?) of trackers would want to pay.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Put the salad on the scale and measure out the dressing/oil with measuring spoons. Pour dressing/oil on salad, record weight, do this a handful of times and when it's consistent, stop using the measuring spoons. I don't use the table or teaspoon for my dressings as I know their gram weight. When I get a new dressing, I measuring it out.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Usually by grams.
  • aussieketogal
    aussieketogal Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback everyone.

My oil data doesn't include grams but it did have a tablespoon option so today rather than pouring directly into my salad bowl until it was 1ml I measured half a teaspoon which equalled 4grams but still only about 20 calories so I can live with that.
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Depending what I'm doing, either on the scales, by gram, or using measuring spoons or measuring beakers, which give me more options than spoons: https://www.amazon.co.uk/OXO-Good-Grips-Measuring-Beaker/dp/B00B2NQKM6
  • aussieketogal
    aussieketogal Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Depending what I'm doing, either on the scales, by gram, or using measuring spoons or measuring beakers, which give me more options than spoons: https://www.amazon.co.uk/OXO-Good-Grips-Measuring-Beaker/dp/B00B2NQKM6

those little measuring beakers are fab!