How Am I so dehydrated??

Options
Hi,
My trainer gauged me as severely dehydrated the other day- my hydration level was at 30%. I think between 3-4Liters of water every day, and work out 5 times a week.
I suffer badly from night sweats- a condition my doctor cannot find the cause of, so this is where I think all of my body salt/sodium is going.
I do not feel thirsty and my urine is normal, etc. But I've reached a plateau in my weightloss and the trainer says that until I get my hydration up losing weight will be a struggle. Im starting to take electrolytes, but does anyone have any experience of this kind of non-thirsty dehydrated state or any knowledge? What could be happening? TIA

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    How is your trainer figuring your dehydration level?
  • Lou_trition
    Lou_trition Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    using a weighing scale that measures Hydration, BodyFat and BMI
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    The BIA scales are inaccurate at best.

Is your pee clear or very faintly yellow? If so, don't worry about it.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    you think between 3-4L a day - are you logging that in MFP? honestly if you are drinking that much and having night sweats - even if the doctor can't figure it out - something may be wrong;

but agree with the above, those scales aren't that accurate in my experience
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Here's a handy chart for checking the color of your pee in the toilet - no special test required!
    http://dripdrop.com/chart-dehydrated/
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Also, hydration doesn't have anything to do with fat loss. It may cause additional water retention which may show a temporary spike on the scale but it doesn't stop you losing weight. I'm a lot better now but I used to be really terrible about drinking anything, still lost weight. And if your urine isn't dark yellow then you're not dehydrated.

This is probably more an issue with you eating too much/inaccurate logging than water consumption.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Trainers. All the medical knowledge they have is...well...zero. Not only that, but he can lose his certification for offering medical advice.

Not cool Mr. TrainerPerson. :neutral:

Is it really giving "medical advice" by telling her the tool he has says she's dehydrated? i mean.. isn't that a little bit of a stretch?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Trainers. All the medical knowledge they have is...well...zero. Not only that, but he can lose his certification for offering medical advice.

Not cool Mr. TrainerPerson. :neutral:

Is it really giving "medical advice" by telling her the tool he has says she's dehydrated? i mean.. isn't that a little bit of a stretch?

No but drinking too much is bad!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Drink more water. But I would 100% ignore a reading from those machines.

The best way to tell is to check the colour of your urine.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're drinking too much water? 3-4 liters is a lot!

Ignore your trainer, you aren't dehydrated unless you feel thirsty and your pee is dark yellow.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Weight loss has to do with calories not hydration. If you've hit a plateau you're either going to need to reduce your calories or take a diet break and then go back into a deficit.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    If your pee is not dark and you feel fine why are you listening to your trainer and a scale? Your in your own body you know best >.>
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    This is how you know if you're properly hydrated or not...

8414092_f520.jpg
  • ChristinePearlFNP
    ChristinePearlFNP Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If you're urine is OK with your doctor, meaning your specific gravity is normal then you're not dehydrated. Are your lips dry, gums pale? If not you are fine. And I'm a nurse practitioner so I think I would know more than a scale that is super inaccurate
  • Lou_trition
    Lou_trition Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all of your replies... I guess Im not dehydrated, and that the scale is wrong! My urine is fine and I drink that much water because its a habit now from all of the working out.
    My logging is fairly accurate, I weigh and log everything- I am upping my calories this week as when he calculated my TDEE and BMR it appeared I wasnt eating enough. Going to follow his advice on the training and diet to see if it makes a difference, and you guys are right, I'll leave it to my doctor to determine what the nightsweats are caused by and how to control them. Next appointment next week...
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,899 Member
    Options
    I suffer badly from night sweats- a condition my doctor cannot find the cause of,

Perimenopause? How old are you?