Powerlifting Rules for Raw Comp?

Options
IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
edited November 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I am signing up for my first competition! I am going to do deadlift. The site for the gym share a link to rules but I can't find them anywhere on that site. I wondered if anyone knew if there are standard rules across the board for this or not. If so, what they might be? (I'll be going to MetroFlex Gym in TX. if anyone on here is a member who would know...)
ETA- Also, which would be better to enter as novice or submaster because of my age group?
I'm in the middle of signing up on the form and thought I'd try to get an opinion on entry type before I put in my CC#...

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I am signing up for my first competition! I am going to do deadlift. The site for the gym share a link to rules but I can't find them anywhere on that site. I wondered if anyone knew if there are standard rules across the board for this or not. If so, what they might be? (I'll be going to MetroFlex Gym in TX. if anyone on here is a member who would know...)

Rules vary depending on the lifting federation.

If they have a deadlift only division it is probably not USAPL, at least as far as I'm aware.

USAPL tends to have the tightest rules, which are as follows and this comes directly from the USAPL:

Deadlift
    The lifter shall face the front of the platform with the bar laid horizontally
    in front of the
    lifter

s feet, gripped with an optional grip in both hands and lifted until the lifter is standing
    erect.
    On completion of the lift the knees shall be locked in a straight position and the shoulders
    back.
    The Chief Referee’s signal shall co
    nsist of a downward movement of the arm and the
    audible command “
    D
    own”. The signal will not be given until the bar is held motionless
    and the lifter is in the apparent finished position.
    Any
    rising
    of the bar or any deliberate attempt to do so will count
    as an attempt. Once the
    attempt has begun no downward movement is allowed until the lifter reaches the erect
    position with the knees locked. If the bar settles as the shoulders come back
    (slightly
    downward on completion)
    this should not be reason to disqua
    lify the lift.
    Causes for Disqualification of a Dead
    l
    ift
    Any downward movement of the bar before it reaches the final position.
    Failure to stand erect with the shoulders back.
    Failure to lock the knees straight at the completion of the lift.
    Supporting the
    bar on the thighs during the performance of the lift. If the bar edges up the
    thigh but is not supported this is not reason for disqualification. The lifter should benefit in
    all decisions of doubt made by the referee.
    Stepping backward or forward
    or movi
    ng the feet laterally. R
    ocking
    of the
    feet between
    ball and heel is permitted.
    Foot movement after the command “Down” will not be cause
    for failure.
    Lowering the bar before receiving the Chief Referee’s signal.
    Allowing the bar to return to the platform wi
    thout maint
    aining control with both hands
    (
    i.e
    releasing the bar from the palms of the hand
    )
    Failure to comply with any of the items outlined under

Rules of Performance

• SideSteel
    Options
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    It appears your rules can be found here: http://www.metroflexhouston.com/msarules.pdf

eta: Which appears to be the same rules that SS posted. For deadlifting, I think just about everyone uses the same rules/standards.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    Options
    Super awesome guys. Just what I needed! Thanks a bunch!

Any opinion about which division I stand a better chance in?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    As this is your first competition, I wouldn't worry too much about which division. I also wouldn't advise trying to make a particular weight class.

That said, you may feel less pressure/anxiety if you're in a division with fewer entrants, which probably means submaster. Whatever you do, just have fun and meet some new people. Finally, I'd suggest you make your first attempt something you can more-or-less easily do, so you get those first lift butterflies out of your stomach and gain the confidence.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    As this is your first competition, I wouldn't worry too much about which division. I also wouldn't advise trying to make a particular weight class.

That said, you may feel less pressure/anxiety if you're in a division with fewer entrants, which probably means submaster. Whatever you do, just have fun and meet some new people. Finally, I'd suggest you make your first attempt something you can more-or-less easily do, so you get those first lift butterflies out of your stomach and gain the confidence.

^ Agreed
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    Options
    Perfect. Thanks again!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Thirded. Your first comp should be all about having fun and getting addicted to the platform.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Quite honestly, you may have less competition in the submaster group. There were 4 women in the comp I did, 1 Master, 1 Submaster (me), and 2 younger ladies. I now hold the Submaster State record for the federation. I'm assuming that there had never been a mid-30s woman in my weight class before.

I also googled the neighboring state's records. There is no record for submaster in my weight class there either. I'm considering trying a comp in a different state!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Have fun! Powerlifting is a great sport and your likely find that the competitors are very helpful and friendly.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Quite honestly, you may have less competition in the submaster group. There were 4 women in the comp I did, 1 Master, 1 Submaster (me), and 2 younger ladies. I now hold the Submaster State record for the federation. I'm assuming that there had never been a mid-30s woman in my weight class before.

I also googled the neighboring state's records. There is no record for submaster in my weight class there either. I'm considering trying a comp in a different state!

Is that because nobody made the standard to qualify for the record? I find it unlikely that nobody has competed in those divisions, but if it's a small state and small, newer federation I guess it's possible.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options

Is that because nobody made the standard to qualify for the record? I can't believe that nobody has competed, but if it's a small state and small federation I guess it's possible.

Likely small state and/or small federation (APA) is my guess. I'm in MD. I totalled 510 @132 in Submaster (which isn't yuuuge). I hold total, squat, and deadlift records. It looks like someone else hold the bench record. I checked VA records...nothing. Next one is in Feb., I'm sure I'll beat my own records!
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited November 2016
    Options

Is that because nobody made the standard to qualify for the record? I can't believe that nobody has competed, but if it's a small state and small federation I guess it's possible.

Likely small state and/or small federation (APA) is my guess. I'm in MD. I totalled 510 @132 in Submaster (which isn't yuuuge). I hold total, squat, and deadlift records. It looks like someone else hold the bench record. I checked VA records...nothing. Next one is in Feb., I'm sure I'll beat my own records!

Solid lifts! Good luck on your next comp!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to TEST your limits and DBOLish your goals.