Having trouble convincing myself that I need exercise...

Options
Hey everyone!

So, I've been counting calories for a little while now and I know that I need to start exercising. The only thing is that I'm doing pretty well at my logging. Like, I'm within my calorie limits and not feeling too hungry plus I'm satisfied with my food choices.

For the past couple of weeks, I even let myself walk away from the site and just eyeballed my calories, thinking that if I failed to maintain my weight, that would be a definite sign that I'd need exercise later on down the road. But, then I didn't. I maintained my weight successfully.

I know that I like exercise when I do it, but it's really hard to convince myself that I need exercise right now. This is especially difficult since I usually do weight-lifting and feel super hungry after working out, which makes it harder to stay in my deficit.

Any advice, anecdotes, or a proper kick in the hind end is much appreciated because I'm not really sure what would serve my goals best right now.

Replies

• mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    The hardest part is debating will I or wont I. You just have to get going one step at a time, one foot in front of the other. Don't think much past that. Keep doing that, and once you get going it's easier to keep going. Exercise is good for more than just controlling your weight.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I exercise because I feel so much better. It wasn't easy and it didn't happen immediately but a year and a half later, I can say, totally worth it.

I'm more relaxed, I deal with stress better, I'm happier and when I started a new job that involved sometimes taking over 10,000 steps in six and half hours, I totally was up to the challenge without pain and fatigue, something I never could have done before.
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    If you are super hungry after lifting, you might want to consider changing what you eat before your workout. I lift (a lot) and find that if i don't have a small snack including some long lasting carbs an hour or so before the work out, plus a protein shake after, i am ready to chew someone's arm off. If you are eating a piece of fruit (even with some cheese or peanut butter), you are burning the sugar carbs off very quickly - try a slice of sprouted grain toast or some other grain based snack.

Find something you love doing (make it your hobby).

Finally, make exercise a priority. Decide that you will lift, or run, or play tennis or whatever and write it in stone on your calendar. It is mental - you HAVE to work out just like you HAVE to eat dinner. Don't let it become optional. (assuming you decide you really want to exercise)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I hope I get out of work early today, so I can go for a bike ride. :smiley:
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    op, you don't 'need' exercise objectively speaking. so maybe trying to find a reason why you do is the wrong approach for your personality or your priorities. i only do it because i like it, otherwise i'd be fighting myself 24/7 and ain't nobody etc etc.
    Barbonica wrote: »
    if i don't have a small snack including some long lasting carbs an hour or so before the work out, plus a protein shake after, i am ready to chew someone's arm off.

hee. yup.

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Create short term goals. Choose a program. And train. -->Your body. Your mind.

For satiation: Prepare food (protein) for the week. Eat slowly. Drink water (stay hydrated).

ETA: try intermittent fasting too
  • judithcamilleri
    judithcamilleri Posts: 6 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    If you want to work out, budget eating before and after! It will help with hunger. Also, exercise will help the weight come off faster and you will gain health benefits such as lower blood pressure, stronger heart, stronger core, less overall body pain, better skin.

If you are losing weight without it, that is amazing! For me I cannot lose weight without working out, and I get all the physical benefits too. That is why I do it. :) But I will be honest, I literally had to start with 5k steps a day. And then I built up to what I do now, which is intense cardio and lifting routines. Hunger is always a challenge for me and I really have to be conscious about eating 1 hour before and after.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight by just cutting calories. It's like, white rice has the same calories as brown rice, so why not eat what you want? As in, don't exercise if you don't want to ... that's the short story.

The long story is that you'll build muscle which will burn more calories. You'll active different parts of your brain and the brown rice of course has fiber and nutrients that white doesn't ... there's more but I'mnot a scientist.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Strength train for health, power and confidence. Agility train for staying on your feet.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Don't exercise to lose weight, exercise so that when you grow old you are still able to move around and take care of yourself. So that you'll be able to run around with your children and grand kids.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Don't exercise to lose weight, exercise so that when you grow old you are still able to move around and take care of yourself. So that you'll be able to run around with your children and grand kids.

Exactly...
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You don't need to exercise to lose weight. You need exercise to keep the weight off. Initial weight loss is just the very beginning of the process, not the end.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    For most people it's a good idea to take a break from this site.

I for one also think it's a good goal to be able to get to a point where you don't have to calorie/macros count unless it's pertaining g to a specific goal after weight loss/gain. But some people aren't comfortable with even the thought of it, which is okay too.

Weight loss or gain is not linear, do don't be surprised when ypu do weigh that things didn't change immediately.

Short term goals is often easier to hit. Perhaps making short term goals that lean towards your long term goal us a good idea for you.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

Disagree. People without children should exercise too.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options

Disagree. People without children should exercise too.

so they can babysit?

:p

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Doing exercise let's you eat more. That's good enough for me.

Also resistance training (any type) helps you retain muscle which is important.