Thanksgiving: Don't Sweat It - Eat It, Log It, Be Proud Of It!

Options

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I didn't weigh anything for the big meal. I did, however, guess at it, and I think I guessed pretty well. I've spent the rest of the day drinking water and we'll see tomorrow what the temporary effect of this is. I fixed mashed potatoes for my family but I had baked sweet potato for myself. My sweet potato wasn't ready in time for the main meal so I kept baking it and had it an hour later. I haven't had anything to eat since and I'm still quite sated near bedtime.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I logged my meal at 1117 calories and enjoyed every bit of it! I was so stuffed I didn't even eat desert. I might fit it in with some more mulled cider later on tonight. I found time for C25K today too. Even though I'm sure to go over my calories I feel on track and in control.
  • Steelpit202
    Steelpit202 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    After logging, I got over 3300 calories at the end of the day. I may have guessed a little high on some of the items. I also based items on generic or homemade versions of what I ate. Either way, I don't think today is going to hinder my goals.
  • xxlno
    xxlno Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    So, never let other people put food on your plate because the dish is too hot/heavy to pass. No one seems to understand " just a little please".Enjoyed meal but did skip pie. Hope everyone had a good daycare
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Thank you for this!!!
    I wanted to buy a pumpkin cheesecake but didn't because I like it too much to eat just one slice, I regret that decision because I really wanted some last night, oh well I'm planning to buy some on Christmas for sure ;)
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I had Thanksgiving at a hotel suite. I did the cooking, but I didn't have my food scale and I was cooking for ten so I couldn't keep things "light." (Which is fine, on Thanksgiving.) I did my best to estimate my portions, I quick-added a few hundred calories to account for dishes I didn't cook, and... it was fine. I assumed I'd have a Roman orgy-style free-for-all, but I actually didn't eat all that much (except for a cheese-related fugue state while I was cooking). I had a few bites of each thing, and I know for absolute sure it was less than I logged.

I'm going for a walk with friends today, and giving myself permission to enjoy the leftovers as well. I made a pumpkin pie -- my favorite -- and had none because I actually stopped eating when I felt full. I'll have some of that and some of the best dishes from last night and then I will consider Thanksgiving well and truly finished. It'll be the first one in my life where I didn't binge wildly and purge later or avoid the food entirely and feel sad/left out.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this--we all need perspective. Here in Italy, we don't celebrate Thanksgiving (last year my husband and I were home in Minnesota for the big day), so I have no worries about a big meal, however, Christmas here has many more traditions foodwise, and alot of days eating big meals with family.

Looking ahead to Christmas now... do you do Feast of the Seven Fishes? If so, I would love to hear your menu for that closer to the day!
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato, what are firecrackers?
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    kjurassic wrote: »
    WinoGelato, what are firecrackers?

A super yummy little snack - mini saltines with olive oil, dried ranch seasoning, and crushed red pepper.

http://crazedmom.com/missouri-firecracker-recipe-aka-alabama-firecracker-recipe/

We didn't have them this year, or the bacon wrapped grilled game birds like normal. So bummed!
  • barracudamuscle
    barracudamuscle Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I am deployed overseas, I juggled with the fight of eating good or enjoying myself. I started out healthy in the morning but at the end of the day I felt alone, highly depressed, and just over it so I decided to enjoy one meal .

At first I regretted it logging it, but I burned 1300 calories according to my HR monitor that morning to offset some damage. That one meal of enjoying food really did help me emotionally, then again I am a emotional eater. Not having family, being isolated, just the grind from being away from every little thing you miss, the food really brought my spirits up! I'm glad I did it, glad I worked out, and glad I logged it. Overall I was -1200 for the day but the days leading up to is i've had 1k-2k deficits.

• WinoGelato
    Options
    I am deployed overseas, I juggled with the fight of eating good or enjoying myself. I started out healthy in the morning but at the end of the day I felt alone, highly depressed, and just over it so I decided to enjoy one meal .

At first I regretted it logging it, but I burned 1300 calories according to my HR monitor that morning to offset some damage. That one meal of enjoying food really did help me emotionally, then again I am a emotional eater. Not having family, being isolated, just the grind from being away from every little thing you miss, the food really brought my spirits up! I'm glad I did it, glad I worked out, and glad I logged it. Overall I was -1200 for the day but the days leading up to is i've had 1k-2k deficits.

Feeling alone at the holidays is tough. Sounds like you had a good day after all. Are you deployed in the armed forces? Thank you for your service!
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    They sound yummy! Thank you for the recipe. I think I'm going to try it with oyster crackers!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I had a few too many screwdrivers to remember to log dinner (I don't drink often), but I indulged fully yesterday, did a quick add estimate and logged that for the day. Got back on track today, and so it goes.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Getting through Thanksgiving day, as far as food, wool bee a breeze this year. I'm stuck in China until December 21. Thanksgiving will be regular work day. So swim for 2.2km before work, normal small lunch at work, swim 6.6km after work, get back tothe apartment too late to cook anything. :smiley:
    Christmas at home I'll have to be careful.
  • jean133mjg
    jean133mjg Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I am bringing a dish that I like and can eat more of to help fill out my plate and then smaller portions of the calorie-laden dishes. I'm not looking for perfection that day, just honesty in logging. I'm not checking the scale the next morning either because I read that it takes four days after an overindulgence to truely show if there is a gain because your body may not be used to the extra sodium and carbs for the meal and it holds onto water weight. I won't weigh myself until Monday. I'm not making Thanksgiving a four day event this year. Best wishes to all on whatever you've chosen to do for Thanksgiving.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Great thread! Let's keep it bumped!
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I take the veteran approach on it. Eat what you want, it's only one day. Get back on the grind the next day. If anyone's really worried about it, do a turkey trot or walk after dinner! I have a weigh in for a challenge I'm doing on the 26th, so I'll be a TAD more careful than usual but still enjoy what I want and however much I want.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!