Did Vitamin D and Calcium Supplements help you lose weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    If anything, the calcium will help your bones become more dense and healthy (depending on your age), thus making you gain some weight. Vitamins aren't going to help you lose weight. Just eat at a deficit...
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    If you have lagging energy levels and are deficient, the Vitamin D can help restore your get up and go. But just taking it will not help you lose weight.

Did your doctor tell you why he thought it would help you lose weight? Are you Vitamin D deficient? Can you ask him to provide studies showing how the Vitamin D supplementation alone will help you lose weight? Studies from peer-reviewed medical journals?
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Here's a new article by PN you might find helpful.
    http://www.precisionnutrition.com/stop-vitamin-d
    The article shows that balance is important. If you supplement with D, you should supplement or make sure you are getting from food enough A and K. E is not talked about but that should be considered too.
    If you just take D and Calcium, you may get calcium deposits like bone spurs. Magnesium and K can prevent this.

Vitamins don't work for weight loss. It's the calories, although if you take enough vitamins on an empty stomach you may feel sick and it might be a temporary appetite suppressant.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    The article shows that balance is important. If you supplement with D, you should supplement or make sure you are getting from food enough A and K. E is not talked about but that should be considered too.
    If you just take D and Calcium, you may get calcium deposits like bone spurs. Magnesium and K can prevent this.

Vitamins don't work for weight loss. It's the calories, although if you take enough vitamins on an empty stomach you may feel sick and it might be a temporary appetite suppressant.

I take vitamin D and Magnesium everyday, but i dont take a calcium supp.. I drink a lot of milk and eat yogurt daily so was hoping it would provide enough calcium. What do you think @TheDevastator ?
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options

I take vitamin D and Magnesium everyday, but i dont take a calcium supp.. I drink a lot of milk and eat yogurt daily so was hoping it would provide enough calcium. What do you think @TheDevastator ?

I wouldn't supplement with extra calcium if you are getting plenty from dairy.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    No, but I feel better when I take them.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    One of the side effects of vitamin D deficiency is sluggishness and fatigue which can reduce your day to day NEAT...'cuz sluggish means not moving around as much, twitching less, etc. Vitamin D in and of itself isn't going to help with weight loss...but if you're deficient it would likely give you more energy and thus you'd move more which would up your NEAT.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

My vit D supplement has K in it specifically for this reason!