Any advice ladies

I'm 49 and been advised I need a full hysterectomy. I'm concerned how I will be after it. I.e crazy hormones etc...I'm not keen to have hrt! Any advice please.

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Why don't you see how you feel afterwards, who says you must take medication?
  • traderbren
    traderbren Posts: 4 Member
    I turned 40 this year. A few months after my birthday I had THE worst pains pre-cycle, and at my annual (which I was tardy on, so it was really 2 years since my last appt...), doc discovered I had an enlarged uterus. Ulstrasound showed a grapefruit sized cyst. I had my total hysterectomy end of September. I found this thread by searching since I am struggling to lose the weight now. I'm 9 weeks out. I kept an ovary, so I did not have to have any hormone replacement.

Talk to your doctor. My left ovary was behaving so I got to keep it, but if keeping one or both is not an option, your doctor will be able to help find the right hrt, or give you advice to get through it without any hrt.

I will say this, aside from the weight loss issue, I regret nothing about having my hysterectomy. I feel worlds better, physically and mentally.
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    traderbren wrote: »
    I turned 40 this year. A few months after my birthday I had THE worst pains pre-cycle, and at my annual (which I was tardy on, so it was really 2 years since my last appt...), doc discovered I had an enlarged uterus. Ulstrasound showed a grapefruit sized cyst. I had my total hysterectomy end of September. I found this thread by searching since I am struggling to lose the weight now. I'm 9 weeks out. I kept an ovary, so I did not have to have any hormone replacement.

Talk to your doctor. My left ovary was behaving so I got to keep it, but if keeping one or both is not an option, your doctor will be able to help find the right hrt, or give you advice to get through it without any hrt.

I will say this, aside from the weight loss issue, I regret nothing about having my hysterectomy. I feel worlds better, physically and mentally.

I just learned a couple of weeks ago that I have an enlarged uterus and multiple endometrial cysts. My doc recommended the Mirena. I refused. Now she wants me back for another ultrasound in 6 weeks. She says she doesn't feel that this warrants surgery. I'd just like to feel better.
  • traderbren
    traderbren Posts: 4 Member
    edited November 2016
    I just learned a couple of weeks ago that I have an enlarged uterus and multiple endometrial cysts. My doc recommended the Mirena. I refused. Now she wants me back for another ultrasound in 6 weeks. She says she doesn't feel that this warrants surgery. I'd just like to feel better.

My cyst was "suspicious" looking, so my doc sent me to a gynecological oncologist who recommended total hysterectomy. I don't know if I'd have wanted to try Mirena or BC pills if I hadn't had the surgery. The pain was ridiculous though, and it was still growing. I hope you get some relief.
  • acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member

Not to hijack this thread, but I had the Mirena placed in June of 2015 (18 months ago) and LOVE it! I haven't had a period since July 2015, and very little cramping. Light spotting every 2-3 months, but that's it!
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    acbraswell wrote: »

Not to hijack this thread, but I had the Mirena placed in June of 2015 (18 months ago) and LOVE it! I haven't had a period since July 2015, and very little cramping. Light spotting every 2-3 months, but that's it!

It's just not something I feel comfortable with. No BC pills, no hormones, I don't like it. I know a lot of woman that love the Mirena and a lot that hated it. To each their own I guess. Just not for me.