Chiropractor or no chiropractor

Options
The first and last time I visited a 'back dr' was probably about 25 years ago. That night, I ended up in the emergency room and since then, have sworn off this type of healing.

In the last year, I have had pain in my hip flexer (right in the middle of the very top of my leg) and when I walked longer than 20 minutes on the treadmill, my foot and leg became somewhat numb, heavy, tired. I finally went to a physical therapist and sports medicine physician. I had an mri, x-rays, ultra sound. Nothing showed up. I am not imagining this! My physician told me to do the alphabet with my left foot to strengthen my hip. The pain isn't too bad but the weakness in my leg is. I've since taken up stationary bike which feels better but my leg still goes numb. I notice that when I'm on the bike, my left leg (knee) turns inward and almost rubs against the bike. It made me think that maybe all this is due to my back being out of alignment. Hmmmm.

I am somewhat reluctant to go to a chiropractor one, because of the money, and two, this might not be the problem. I just don't know what to do.

I want to go hiking! I want to walk my dog w/o my leg starting to flop like a fish out of water. How come they can't find anything wrong? I pinpoint exactly where the pain is. VERY FRUSTATING

Replies

• tasharock
    tasharock Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Some are good, some are cracks. Do your research. I love my chiropractor and have for the past 6 years. Weight loss has been changing my body and she is helping me go from feeling 80 to a little closer to my real age.
  • drift
    drift Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Osteopath
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    The numbness sounds like sciatica. Have you talked to your regular doctor about it?

ETA: http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/guide/sciatica-symptoms
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I had the exact same pain point and for a while they could not find anything wrong with me either. Where did the MRI focus? I finally had one on my lower back and they found slightly bulging and dehydrated disks - I have no back pain. I did go to a chiropractor - one my PCP recommended as a matter of fact. And after a very long time I am happy to report that I am feeling much better. I can go weeks w/o any pain at all and if I do have pain now it is so minor, I don't really count it...lol. The thing about that type of pain is it may not be in the back at all. You may just need to have your legs or feet adjusted. Ask your doctor if they have a recommendation for a chiropractor, it worked for me. Good Luck!
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I love my chiropractor - I started seeing her because of knee pain. Turns out my hips were severely out of alignment. I've been in maintenance for two years, so I see her once a month or so.....a little more frequently (every 3 weeks) in the summers when I'm training for my triathlons. But I get 20 visits a year that are "covered" by insurance (I have a high deductible plan, so I have to pay the contracted rate of $32 a visit out of my HSA account until I meet my deductible, then my copay is only like $6 a visit). :)
  • umieto
    umieto Posts: 46
    Options
    I'm not a doctor (yet) but honestly I would say go back to your GP and get re-assessed. Any unilateral weakness is a worry. You should be seen by an osteopath or neurologist.

Did you have a neuro assessment when you first saw your doctor about this? (They'll test your limb strength by asking you to lay down, bend your leg and push them away, that sort of thing)
  • JayStu
    JayStu Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I love my chiropractor, she adjusts the whole body and I always feel 100% better afterwards
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Agree with tasharock, some are good, some not so good. Love mine. I have Sciatica which causes numbness running down my right leg and severe low back/hip pain. Could not walk/run without the occassional adjustment. If you are not comfortable with a Chiropractor, try a Osteopath.
  • anothermop
    anothermop Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of my chiropractor. My wife goes every week and I go when I get a chance.
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have almost identical pain/numbness in my left hip. I find that if I do a nice deep stretch every night before bed it helps; but I still go to my Chiropractor. I'm lucky enough to have one in the family so I'm not worried about having to do any research or getting caught up with quacks. I'd definitely talk to friends and co-workers to find one that's right for you but don't shy away from them. I love mine!!
  • Babbs1977
    Babbs1977 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I had issues with my ribs coming out of place, and back alignment issues that caused the rib problem. My Chiropractor saved my sanity and body from horrible pain, and he didn't try to "con" me into a million sessions. He fixed the problem over two weeks and I don't haven't had problems since.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Couldn't live pain free with my chiro. Mine is a sports specific chiro and DO. If you are worried, find a really awesome massage therapist that does therapeutic massage and they generally can refer you to a good chrio too. I get numbness in my feet from very tight piriformous, this can be caused from one leg being shorter than the other. Have that checked out too.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say no chiro.

I was seeing one because I occasionally get neck pain due to whiplash from a car accident I had when I was 18. She did all these xrays and stuff and said I had to see her.

So I did.

And it was absolutely useless. It was $25 co-pay each visit (for the first month I was going 3x a week) and that added up. Not only that but I would sit in the waiting room for half an hour and when I was finally called in my adjustment took two minutes MAX.

Not only that but I don't believe it did anything. I think I made myself believe it did for the first few months but in retrospect there was no difference.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I used to think they were quacks until my mother was helped by one. It was her internal medicine doctor who referred her to the chiropractor. I thought that was interesting. My mother had several sessions with the chiropractor, who helped eliminate the pain in the shoulder. That was something even physical therapy hadn't done. The chiropractor did try to sell my mom on some supplements, but I told her to avoid those. After hearing about my mother's experience, I'm much more open to going to a chiropractor in the future.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I would not consider seeing a chiro under any circumstances. If you do a little digging on the history and origin of chiropractic theory and methodology you would be horrified. I consider them underqualified physiotherapists who dabble in areas of medicine that far exceed their training and/or skills.

In Canada one may be called a "Doctor of Chiropractic" after taking 3 years of post-secondary education with a 2.5 GPA (http://www.chirofed.ca/english/becoming.html) it takes just as long to become a Registered Massage Therapist and longer to become a PT.

Interestingly many provinces in Canada have de-listed their services from those covered by the taxpayer funded universal healthcare system........
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I couldn't live without my chiropractor. Before I started getting adjusted, I was actually suicidal from pain. I threw my back out on a number of occasions and had debilitating headaches and migraines for 15 years. After literally crawling to my sister's engagement party a couple years ago, my brother-in-law suggested that I pay a visit to his chiropractor (who also happened to be a family friend and was at said engagement party). Long story short, I'm a new person. And I'm no longer taking pain killers, sleep aids, and migraine medication that I was taking before I started seeing him, not to mention the anxiety and depression that I was experiencing from all the pain.

All that being said, my one major issue with chiropractic is the cost: he wanted me to see him 3 times a week for the first two months and then twice a week after that, and then 6 months later I was bumped down to once a week. If I hadn't had insurance to cover the majority of the cost, there's no way I would have signed up. Knowing what I know now, I would do it all over again in a heart beat, but at over $3,000 for that first year of care, there's no way I would have initially shelled out all that money from my own pocket. But, I also probably wouldn't be here today. I still go every two weeks, but I tend to lead a pretty stressful lifestyle and I choose to get adjusted rather than taking pain meds of any sort.

Edited to add: There are different kinds of chiropractors (mixers, straights, etc.). Do your research and if you choose to see one, choose the one that jives most with you. And it's best if you can get a referral to one from someone you trust - you don't want just anyone playing around with your spine...
  • carollynch09
    carollynch09 Posts: 111
    Options
    I had the exact same pain point and for a while they could not find anything wrong with me either. Where did the MRI focus? I finally had one on my lower back and they found slightly bulging and dehydrated disks - I have no back pain. I did go to a chiropractor - one my PCP recommended as a matter of fact. And after a very long time I am happy to report that I am feeling much better. I can go weeks w/o any pain at all and if I do have pain now it is so minor, I don't really count it...lol. The thing about that type of pain is it may not be in the back at all. You may just need to have your legs or feet adjusted. Ask your doctor if they have a recommendation for a chiropractor, it worked for me. Good Luck!

MRI focused in my hip. I don't think I had one for my back. I also have no back pain. Never thought about needing my legs or feet adjusted. I will ask for a recommendation. Sounds like the majority of ppl like their chiropractors. I shouldn't hold one bad experience against them all :) thank you!
  • carollynch09
    Options
    Did you have a neuro assessment when you first saw your doctor about this? (They'll test your limb strength by asking you to lay down, bend your leg and push them away, that sort of thing)

yes I did. My left leg was a bit weaker than the right and my family dr. decided to send me to physical therapy.
  • carollynch09
    Options
    Sounds like most ppl like chiropractors. I will go back to my dr. and see if she can recommend one. I will also check with some ppl in this area. But first, I want to make sure my insurance covers it. I have enough dr. bills from trying to figure out what all this is caused by. Thank you all so much for your responses. You've helped :D
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I am not anti chiropractor, they are just way more limited in what they can actually fix and what they will actually recognize medically than most like to claim. Go back to your doctor and ask for a referral to a nuero and get a COMPLETE work up. If they still can't find anything, that is when I would go to a chiropractor.