Fitbit/trackers ?

Options
2»

Replies

• singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    grmckenzie wrote: »
    Amazon.com has the Vivoactive HR for $169 USD. I'm not sure what that translates to in Canada.

+27 shipping and fees. Total $196 @ 1.35 = $265. Vs $200 + 12% tax = $224.

But I see they have the TomTom spark for $142. It plays music as well. Hmmm.

https://www.amazon.ca/Garmin-Vivoactive-Smart-Watch-Regular/dp/B01BLQT7DM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480160105&sr=8-1&keywords=Vivoactive+HR

Here it is $200 Canadian with free shipping. Currently out of stock but Amazon usually replenishes pretty quickly in my experience.
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    CM_73 wrote: »
    grmckenzie wrote: »
    Thanks everyone!! I knew there were different types but holy. So many to choose from. I wish I could try each of them out for a trial and pick which one works best for me. I definitely like the idea of seeing my calories and heart rate during workout - that's awesome! Especially if I'm not on a machine that displays it for me. I know sometimes these things could be pricey but not totally worth it and a cheaper one could do the exact same stuff - things like that. I'm totally serious about dropping my goal weight and need to stay motivated and on top of myself LOL. Silly as that sounds

I've got both the VSHR and a Polar chest band. For actual exercising, the chest band is far better for showing HR and calories. Although I don't have the band sync'd to MFP, I have my Garmin configured in a screwy way to get the calories pushed through to MFP to be close to what the band says. But after 35 minutes on the treadmill, if I compare the band and the tracker, the band regularly shows a higher average HR, higher max HR and higher calories. I guess my point is I don't trust the tracker for use in a workout. It's the rest of the day that I've found the tracker useful (steps, telling me to move, resting HR) plus some info from my phone like weather and message notifications and I can control the music on my phone from the tracker.

I think the vivoactive might be a bit better at monitoring HR. I used a chest strap which bluetoothed to my phone for a long time, the Garmin does seem to reflect pretty well the sort of data that the chest strap would generate.
    It does seem a bit slower to show the drops in HR than the chest strap, and the trace is a little bit cruder, but the maximum and mean values are spot on.
    I had to ditch it in the end as I was getting tired of the connection keep dropping and I'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to collecting data!
    I'm sure that a wrist measurement can't be as good as a chest strap, but this one is close enough for what I want from it.
    This is a screen shot from this mornings ride if it's of any interest.

Screenshot_20161124-164103_zpsvjot8zvc.png

Also some Garmins, including the Vivoactive and Fenix 3, can pair with a chest strap for the best of both worlds. I wear my chest strap for dedicated exercise (except mountain biking, where the wrist based seems pretty accurate) and just the watch the rest of the day.

Thanks for that, I didn't realise it could do that, I'll give it a try.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I have a Fenix 3 HR. The wrist-based HRM doesn't work well for me at all. I use the chest strap for cycling because that's important to me, and for running because the strap collects extra running data. I use the wrist monitor when I walk, and for 24/7 background monitoring, but I realized I don't care what my HR is during those periods. It can't tell me my RHR, which is the one thing I really wanted the wrist HRM for. :disappointed: I should have stuck with the F3 non-HR.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I have a Fenix 3 HR. The wrist-based HRM doesn't work well for me at all. I use the chest strap for cycling because that's important to me, and for running because the strap collects extra running data. I use the wrist monitor when I walk, and for 24/7 background monitoring, but I realized I don't care what my HR is during those periods. It can't tell me my RHR, which is the one thing I really wanted the wrist HRM for. :disappointed: I should have stuck with the F3 non-HR.

I'm surprised. I have the same watch and it works great for me for everything but HIIT and strength training (I pair with a strap for those) .
  • cheryls1mx3
    cheryls1mx3 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I love jawbones platform but I used to have the Fitbit one and I loved it. I have the Jawbone UP2

I love my jawbone up2 as its a bargain as well