Should I Lift?... How to start?

Options
Hello Lovelies!

So, I've been reading through some threads on here, and lots of people have said they wish they'd started lifting sooner as their progress might be so much better.

Currently I do Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred each morning. I use 1kg (yes... one..lol) for some bits and the heavier 2kg (yeah... 2 lol) for squats etc.

I want to maximise my calorie burn throughout the day - and I understand lean muscle mass helps this.
I want to change my shape more than i care about the weight on the scales too. And i want to feel strong.

So - how does someone start "lifting"... the 2kg can be a bit of an ache after a few reps.... but i'm under no illusion that 2kg purple weights are not going to change my body!!.. are they??

I don't want to go to a gym and need to do this at home.

Would kettle Bells be the next step? What kind of weight would you recommend so i'm not wasting the exercise time yet not unable to complete it?

thanks everyone for any replies xxxx

Replies

• squirrell79
    squirrell79 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Everyone's going to say some variation on the following.

Look into one of these equipment-required programs:

--Stronglifts 5x5
    --Starting Strength
    --New Rules of Lifting for Women

Yes, these programs do require some equipment, which can usually be had cheaply from Craigslist, Play it Again Sports, etc. Don't be afraid of the idea of a barbell! It won't bite and in fact will become your friend if you stick with it.

Or....look into these non-equipment-required things:

--You Are Your Own gym (book--used off Amazon)
    --www.nerdfitness.com
    --Convict Conditioning

Bodyweight exercises are a fantastic way to go, no joke.

I started lifting heavy things a few months ago, and it's been awesome. I started with Chalean Extreme (DVD--got it used) and am now starting Stronglifts. Start where you can and just build up nice and slow from there.

You should be fine if you just pick a program and stick with it. I wish you the best of luck!
  • Lindsey1985x
    Lindsey1985x Posts: 106 Member
    Options

--Stronglifts 5x5
    --Starting Strength

Yes, these programs do require some equipment, which can usually be had cheaply from Craigslist, Play it Again Sports, etc. Don't be afraid of the idea of a barbell! It won't bite and in fact will become your friend if you stick with it.

--www.nerdfitness.com
    --Convict Conditioning

I started lifting heavy things a few months ago, and it's been awesome. I started with Chalean Extreme (DVD--got it used) and am now starting Stronglifts. Start where you can and just build up nice and slow from there.

You should be fine if you just pick a program and stick with it. I wish you the best of luck!

Thanks so much! i'll take a good look at those suggestions later xxx
  • uwsmama
    uwsmama Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options

--Stronglifts 5x5
    --Starting Strength

--www.nerdfitness.com
    --Convict Conditioning

This! You won't regret lifting more. It's not only great on the body but great for your confidence!
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells are a good step up, but for a proper weight lifting program you could really use some free weights.

It might be worth getting a day trial at a gym so you can play with their equipment and decide what to get for yourself.
  • missjeevious
    missjeevious Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    if you decide to do New Rules of Lifting for Women (Which i am doing, currently in stage 4)- be sure to join the FB page- you will get a LOT of helpful advice, including which exercises to switch out (this is an older book and we don't do some of the moves anymore)- and you can get help with your form etc... (we post videos) -good luck!
  • Lindsey1985x
    Options
    Thanks everyone! the galling this is i gave away a load of free weights (ex husbands) thinking they were far too big n heavy for me... well.. they probably are.. NOW.... but i should have kept them!!

I'll get some heavier weights... a couple of pink 2kg weights isnt going to do much lol x
  • dougt333
    dougt333 Posts: 697
    Options
    BIG TIP....When you start focus more on form and lifting right, not how much weight you lift. Once you get that right start logging how much you lift and how many reps and go from there. But no matter what do it right and do it slow.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    --Stronglifts 5x5
    --Starting Strength
    --www.nerdfitness.com
    --Convict Conditioning

chuck-norris-approved.gif
  • Lindsey1985x
    Options
    Loving the Chuck Norris lol x
  • ironjenn
    ironjenn Posts: 25
    Options
    Bump!
  • CarlaRG
    CarlaRG Posts: 264
    Options
    bump
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    instead of saying you should go to the gym (cause I totally understand the gymtimidation/time constraints)

www.scoobysworkshop.com - is a great resource

as far as equipment I put together a good at home gym for my folks for basically nothing - I got a great bench and dumbbells off of craigslist (mother who wanted to clear out her sons lifting gear) for essentially free as long as I picked it up.

You can really get a lot accomplished even with just a good set of dumbbells at home, scooby has lots of different home workouts and though I find it a bit hard to believe claims he built his physique at home
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options

--Stronglifts 5x5
    --Starting Strength

--www.nerdfitness.com
    --Convict Conditioning

Yup :) I know I wish I started years ago
    Don't get overwhelmed or discouraged, look up form videos or if you are going to join a gym ask about proper form.
    Do it you will never regret it and you will be one sexy beast!
  • Lindsey1985x
    Options
    Ok - i'm convinced :D

So - i do Jillian Micheals 30 Day Shred in the mornings.

I understand from MFP that you can't lose fat and gain muscle at the same time...so... should i use 30DS for the "Cardio/Toning" and then do Arm Days/Leg Days/Ab days etc?
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options

--Stronglifts 5x5
    --Starting Strength

--www.nerdfitness.com
    --Convict Conditioning

First response = win. /endthread
  • squirrell79
    squirrell79 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I earned a Chuck Norris cookie and that makes me unreasonably happy. Thank you, person who posted the Chuck Norris gif!
  • Crystleds
    Crystleds Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Bump