Body fat estimation?

Options
Hi guys!
I am just starting on my bulking journey and am currently trying to reverse diet and find my maintenance calories. I'm just looking to see where my starting point is, and am therefore trying to estimate my body fat. I am a poor college student and cannot afford a DXA scan, so I thought I'd ask you guys for your thoughts?
These are my stats:
18 years old
5'3.5"
Weight ranges between 100-102
Regarding the pictures-for each angle there is one with me flexing and one with me more relaxed/breathing out (w larger stomach).
Thank you all so much for sharing and feel free to add me

Replies

• edickson76
    edickson76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    @SideSteel

Guessing 15% - 18% from photos.
    How's energy?
    Monthly cycle good?
    Overall mood good?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    @SideSteel

How's energy?
    Monthly cycle good?
    Overall mood good?

Based on the photos I think somewhere around 17 or so.

Good spot to bulk
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Definitely a good place to bulk but what's your plans? You probably don't have the money for a lot of expensive foods so what will your calories and macro split look like? Any food planning done already?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I am not sure about your BF% but what I do know is you are at a perfect place to start a bulk!
  • lilolilo920
    lilolilo920 Posts: 184 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Definitely a good place to bulk but what's your plans? You probably don't have the money for a lot of expensive foods so what will your calories and macro split look like? Any food planning done already?

I'm currently at 2000/day but am doing far too much cardio, so I'm currently trying to figure out how to slowly do less without dropping it completely all of the sudden. When I started college this year I lost way too much weight and kinda gave into my eating disorder that I had struggled with in the past (this time it was unintended weight loss though). Upon realizing that I was starting to get back to my old ways I told the eating disorder no and now I'm basically just trying to fix it. I'm reverse dieting and trying to figure out maintenance but from the research that I've done, it seems I won't get a good idea of that until I drop some of the cardio (was doing 2hours a day, currently trying to do less but unsure how to go about it exactly as I had mentioned earlier).
    My macro split is typically about 40% carbs, 30 fat, 30 protein. I have no trouble hitting fats as I love peanut butter! I usually hit protein pretty easily-it's carbs that I tend to struggle with because it's hard to find ones that aren't deep fried in the dining halls haha (not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that but it makes me feel sick!!).

Workout wise, I am currently 4 weeks into the PHAT program and LOVE it. I feel so much stronger already.

@SideSteel

How's energy?
    Monthly cycle good?
    Overall mood good?

In regards to energy, it could definitely be better. I have a bad habit of restricting
    until late and then realizing that I have a lot that I need to eat and just shoving it all in before I go to bed
  • lilolilo920
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I am not sure about your BF% but what I do know is you are at a perfect place to start a bulk!
    SideSteel wrote: »
    @SideSteel

How's energy?
    Monthly cycle good?
    Overall mood good?

Based on the photos I think somewhere around 17 or so.

Good spot to bulk

Sorry for the long post by the way!!
  • edickson76
    Options
    Nutritionally, the general advice is 1g of protein per 1lb. of weight when bulking. Looks like your 40/30/30 is giving you 150g of protein, which is way more than you need. 100g of protein would be 20% of 2000 calories. Put the extra 50 grams toward carbs and keep fat the same (50/30/20). This should give you enough energy to do your PHAT workouts. Protein is filling, which is likely why you are struggling to hit all your calories. Check out PsuLemon's hard gainers thread for a list of foods to eat on a bulk. Also has some good discussion of mental hurdles.

Cardio, as you know, is too much. Try dropping to 1 hour per day this coming week. Then go to 1/2 hour per day the following week. Then go to 1/2 hour 3 days the following week. Then go to 1/2 hour 2 times a week. So, in a month, you will have cardio at a level that will support gaining weight.
  • bloodsy
    bloodsy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    17-18% really nice for a female.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

I'm currently at 2000/day but am doing far too much cardio, so I'm currently trying to figure out how to slowly do less without dropping it completely all of the sudden. When I started college this year I lost way too much weight and kinda gave into my eating disorder that I had struggled with in the past (this time it was unintended weight loss though). Upon realizing that I was starting to get back to my old ways I told the eating disorder no and now I'm basically just trying to fix it. I'm reverse dieting and trying to figure out maintenance but from the research that I've done, it seems I won't get a good idea of that until I drop some of the cardio (was doing 2hours a day, currently trying to do less but unsure how to go about it exactly as I had mentioned earlier).
    My macro split is typically about 40% carbs, 30 fat, 30 protein. I have no trouble hitting fats as I love peanut butter! I usually hit protein pretty easily-it's carbs that I tend to struggle with because it's hard to find ones that aren't deep fried in the dining halls haha (not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that but it makes me feel sick!!).

Workout wise, I am currently 4 weeks into the PHAT program and LOVE it. I feel so much stronger already.

@SideSteel

How's energy?
    Monthly cycle good?
    Overall mood good?

In regards to energy, it could definitely be better. I have a bad habit of restricting
    until late and then realizing that I have a lot that I need to eat and just shoving it all in before I go to bed

I don't tend to worry too much about the split between fat and protein TBH but I pasta, oatmeal, rice, etc are great sources of low cost carbs without too much fat if you need to find something to fill in that space.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    bloodsy wrote: »
    17-18% really nice for a female.

Are you aware the OP is struggling with an eating disorder and is underweight? Not appropriate encouragement, in my opinion.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    @lilolilo920, in addition to those who have answered your questions, have you talked to your college counselor about getting help for your eating disorder? You are significantly underweight and need a real-life support base to deal with your eating disorder while you work toward getting healthy again.
  • lilolilo920
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    @lilolilo920, in addition to those who have answered your questions, have you talked to your college counselor about getting help for your eating disorder? You are significantly underweight and need a real-life support base to deal with your eating disorder while you work toward getting healthy again.

Yes I have!! I've been dealing with an eating disorder for 6ish years now and have a doctor who I am going to be seeing in under a month. However, since I am a legal adult, they are trying to get me to transition out of their care slowly since soon I will be too old to go there. My goal is to not have to even worry about finding a treatment team for me as an adult as I'm trying to nip this in the butt now! I appreciate the concern
  • lilolilo920
    Options
    edickson76 wrote: »
    Nutritionally, the general advice is 1g of protein per 1lb. of weight when bulking. Looks like your 40/30/30 is giving you 150g of protein, which is way more than you need. 100g of protein would be 20% of 2000 calories. Put the extra 50 grams toward carbs and keep fat the same (50/30/20). This should give you enough energy to do your PHAT workouts. Protein is filling, which is likely why you are struggling to hit all your calories. Check out PsuLemon's hard gainers thread for a list of foods to eat on a bulk. Also has some good discussion of mental hurdles.

Cardio, as you know, is too much. Try dropping to 1 hour per day this coming week. Then go to 1/2 hour per day the following week. Then go to 1/2 hour 3 days the following week. Then go to 1/2 hour 2 times a week. So, in a month, you will have cardio at a level that will support gaining weight.

So am I eating a good amount of fats now? I just thought it'd be a good idea to get a lot if possible as I do have amenorrhea and I thought an increase in fat intake could help that? Or am I incorrect in my thinking? Wow, I didn't realize that I was having too much protein, good to know thank you!!
    As for cardio, I may have to transition a bit slower than that, as I know that if I do too much at once, I'm likely to have a lot of anxiety issues. I'm thinking I'll scale back to 1.5 hours and maybe try to hit 2100 this week? Or is that too many calories? Thank you so much for your help!!!

@SideSteel

How's energy?
    Monthly cycle good?
    Overall mood good?

I don't tend to worry too much about the split between fat and protein TBH but I pasta, oatmeal, rice, etc are great sources of low cost carbs without too much fat if you need to find something to fill in that space.

Ooh those are great ideas, thank you!! I have oatmeal and sweet potatoes a lot but I hadn't thought of rice or pasta!!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Yes I have!! I've been dealing with an eating disorder for 6ish years now and have a doctor who I am going to be seeing in under a month. However, since I am a legal adult, they are trying to get me to transition out of their care slowly since soon I will be too old to go there. My goal is to not have to even worry about finding a treatment team for me as an adult as I'm trying to nip this in the butt now! I appreciate the concern

It's good to see that you are trying to put on weight. Good luck to you and may you find your path to health.
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!
    I am just starting on my bulking journey and am currently trying to reverse diet and find my maintenance calories. I'm just looking to see where my starting point is, and am therefore trying to estimate my body fat. I am a poor college student and cannot afford a DXA scan, so I thought I'd ask you guys for your thoughts?
    These are my stats:
    18 years old
    5'3.5"
    Weight ranges between 100-102
    Regarding the pictures-for each angle there is one with me flexing and one with me more relaxed/breathing out (w larger stomach).
    Thank you all so much for sharing and feel free to add me

I'd guess about 15%. You are very lean.
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    sorry you have an eating disorder. If you bulk up, do it slowly bc your disordered thinking will freak out as you gain weight. Just take it easy and keep going until you get your cycle back. Your body will let you know when it's healthy again.

I had a friend with stubborn fat and she began dieting. Once she got below 18% bf, she stopped getting her cycle. She gained back 2 lbs and her cycle started up again. Now she knows that her body needs to be around 19% body fat.
  • SLLRunner
    edited November 2016
    Options

I am so glad. :)
  • edickson76
    Options
    So am I eating a good amount of fats now? I just thought it'd be a good idea to get a lot if possible as I do have amenorrhea and I thought an increase in fat intake could help that? Or am I incorrect in my thinking? Wow, I didn't realize that I was having too much protein, good to know thank you!!
    As for cardio, I may have to transition a bit slower than that, as I know that if I do too much at once, I'm likely to have a lot of anxiety issues. I'm thinking I'll scale back to 1.5 hours and maybe try to hit 2100 this week? Or is that too many calories? Thank you so much for your help!!!
    Fat intake is fine (I have no idea whether it helps with amenorrhea). As for total calories, that is more complicated given your cardio. Your maintenance is probably somewhere in the 1500 calorie range give or take 200 calories. So, 2000 is a fine starting point. But all your cardio is going to burn off all the excess and perhaps more--a slow jog for 2 hours will burn more than 700 calories at your weight, for example.

Might be easiest to keep caloric intake steady and just gradually reduce cardio, but if you want to see gains faster, then I'd add another 250 calories/day starting tomorrow. Pick the path that makes you comfortable so that you don't start down the eating disorder road again.

• lilolilo920
    Options
    edickson76 wrote: »
    Fat intake is fine (I have no idea whether it helps with amenorrhea). As for total calories, that is more complicated given your cardio. Your maintenance is probably somewhere in the 1500 calorie range give or take 200 calories. So, 2000 is a fine starting point. But all your cardio is going to burn off all the excess and perhaps more--a slow jog for 2 hours will burn more than 700 calories at your weight, for example.

Might be easiest to keep caloric intake steady and just gradually reduce cardio, but if you want to see gains faster, then I'd add another 250 calories/day starting tomorrow. Pick the path that makes you comfortable so that you don't start down the eating disorder road again.

Ooh I like that idea!! I'll start gradually reducing the cardio because quite honestly when I do that much, I end up spending hours and hours in the gym and not enough time studying or hanging with friends or having a life!!! Thank you so much everyone for all your help!! I'll keep you all updated