My lungs suck...

Options
Well, maybe that's the problem. They really don't....

I'm having trouble finding a steady state cardio that works for both my heart rate and my lungs.

At the moment, I am finding that during cardio (incline walking, 2% @ 5.5-6 kmph), although my heart rate stays fairly low (walking it can get up to about 135bpm), it completely wrecks my lungs.

Running is completely out of the question at the moment as I recently had an asthma flare up (caused by running....) and frankly, my lungs feel bruised.

Does anyone have any ideas of steady state cardio that I can do which will raise my heart rate a bit more, but not leave me completely unable to breathe? (cycling doesn't work)

Additional info:

I'm asthmatic, and was diagnosed when I was around 7. It's always been fairly mild and easy to control, but I get flare ups during allergy season. All fairly routine.

I find it easier to manage when I am at a "good" point of cardiovascular fitness - but the trouble is getting to that point!

My "standard" workouts are usually weights based.

Replies

• mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Swimming is good. Dancing or aerobics are too. You could try an altitude mask or an O2 trainer to help strengthen your respiratory system.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Balloon therapy?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options
    No specific suggestions, but things should improve over time even with what you are doing. Keep at it doing as well as you can.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

@mgalovic01 , sadly no local pool where I'm living otherwise swimming would be my go to!!

@Helloitsdan an, balloon therapy? I've never heard of this, what is it?

@rileysowner thanks :)

@MeganAM89 I have a powder inhaler that has been fantastic, the brown steroid inhaler really didn't work for me - for some reason it made me sick :( Cycling is fine for breathing for me, but does aboslutely nothing for my heart rate!

I always breathe in through my nose and out of my mouth, having been told it for many years now it's kind of inground! :D

Thanks all, I guess it's just a "wait til the inflammation goes down" sort of exercise here.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I am asthmatic and use Symbicourt twice daily. I started running a year and a half ago and have found that my lung function has improved since doing so. I am surprised that you cannot raise your heart rate cycling! I am able to increase my heart rate on a stationary bike and my road bike.
  • novasunflower
    novasunflower Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Walking is great cardio! Just go at a nice brisk pace, like you're running late for something important!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

@mgalovic01 , sadly no local pool where I'm living otherwise swimming would be my go to!!

@Helloitsdan an, balloon therapy? I've never heard of this, what is it?

@rileysowner thanks :)

@MeganAM89 I have a powder inhaler that has been fantastic, the brown steroid inhaler really didn't work for me - for some reason it made me sick :( Cycling is fine for breathing for me, but does aboslutely nothing for my heart rate!

I always breathe in through my nose and out of my mouth, having been told it for many years now it's kind of inground! :D

Thanks all, I guess it's just a "wait til the inflammation goes down" sort of exercise here.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2971640/
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    I remember I was given a prescription for symbicort once and it made me vomit but when I went to the doctor he didn't believe me. He said, "no, that didn't happen. That's not a side effect." I was so angry. Just because you haven't heard of it before doesn't mean it's not a possible side effect for someone.

Does increasing the resistance on a bike not increase your heart rate either? Because it sure does for me lol

Don't even get me started on this one, the last nurse I went to told me that I wasn't asthmatic because I wasn't wheezing, regardless of the improvement of peak flow (which had been low) from the new inhaler and every other symptom that comes with asthma. I was gobsmacked that a professional could so easily dismiss someone because it didn't fit their expectations of the symptoms, it even made me question whether I'd been taking unnecessary medication etc. I've since found out (from a different doctor) that wheezing isn't always present and it's still a massive misconception in the medical community :s

Anyway, rant done with.

No, @MeganAM89 and @Joanna2012B I really don't find that cycling does anything to raise my heart rate, unless I'm doing that high intensity spin style cycling, and then I get stuck with the crappy lung crap. I used to run regularly a couple of years ago and found it made a MASSIVE improvement on my lung function, I even stopped using my inhalers, it was amazing!! My issue at the moment is that even doing a C25K type programme my asthma is flaring up hugely. I guess I really just have to work on getting my lungs back up to speed and forget about pushing the heart rate for now >.<

@novasunflower Thank you for the suggestion, I have been walking at a very brisk speed, but again, it doesn't raise my heart rate :)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,393 Member
    Options
    Forget about the heartrate reading! Just train at a speed you're able to train at. That means: try to put in some variation
    1. use a day where you go so slow that you're still able to talk, and make this session longer. If that means that you're walking on then so be it. It will get better sooner or later and you'll be able to run slowly one day. This is what gives you endurance in the long run.
    2. warm up properly. Try to run or run faster than on the slow day. keep the session fairly short. You might not be able to keep up for long but that doesn't matter.
    3. chose a third session inbetween both speeds.

It also helps to start with a programme such a C25K. It has you walk and run slowly in alternations during a session. Again, go slowly. No need to race.
  • pwgphoto
    pwgphoto Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Cybex Arc Trainer at Planet Fitness and it gets my heart rate up and is easier on your body as far as joints and such. It does work your legs depending on settings. I really like it, well I guess as much as anyone can like a cardio machine. I also feel it burns calories really well. These are just my observations and just to let you know, I've never been a fan of cardio, but this machine keeps me motivated. Best of luck to you.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I'm asthmatic and have mild copd. You really need to find a steroid inhaler that works for you - symbicort works well for me but there are loads of others. My asthma nurse (who is pretty useless and also insists that if I'm not wheezing and my stats are ok then my asthma is ok - I'm 61 and have had it all my life so think I know when I'm having an Asthma attack!) Anyway - a steroid inhaler,that you can tolerate,when used regularly,really does make a difference. I was also told to "blow out when exhaling during exercise and it seems to help.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'm very confused by this!
    "Cycling is fine for breathing for me, but does absolutely nothing for my heart rate!"

It's as hard as you want to make it so if your HR isn't rising you need to work harder. You aren't supposed to be just spinning your legs you are supposed to be putting power through the pedals. If indoors add more resistance while maintaining a good cadence (80 - 100 for example).
    If outdoors go faster, go up hills etc.

Cycling is perhaps the most controllable of cardio exercise which is why I would have recommended it for you.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Getting out of breath is normal if you are actually putting in the work into something you have no endurance yet for. I don't have any problems with my lungs or heart, but back when I was not in any kind of shape, yes, it was hard - huffing, puffing, wishing I was dead, how have I only gone a tenth of a mile in what seems like 90 minutes...

But if you fight through it with any kind of cardio, it gets better. Never easy, but now I run 6 or so miles a day at work and don't think anything of it. I run a 8 minute mile at each break and don't get out of breath, don't break a sweat. But I had to put in the sweat pouring, lung exploding work for several months straight to get where I am now. No free lunch.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    I'm asthmatic and have mild copd. You really need to find a steroid inhaler that works for you - symbicort works well for me but there are loads of others. My asthma nurse (who is pretty useless and also insists that if I'm not wheezing and my stats are ok then my asthma is ok - I'm 61 and have had it all my life so think I know when I'm having an Asthma attack!) Anyway - a steroid inhaler,that you can tolerate,when used regularly,really does make a difference. I was also told to "blow out when exhaling during exercise and it seems to help.

Thank you!! I've found healthcare providers to either be fantastic or absolutely shocking at helping with asthma!!
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    Getting out of breath is normal if you are actually putting in the work into something you have no endurance yet for. I don't have any problems with my lungs or heart, but back when I was not in any kind of shape, yes, it was hard - huffing, puffing, wishing I was dead, how have I only gone a tenth of a mile in what seems like 90 minutes...

But if you fight through it with any kind of cardio, it gets better. Never easy, but now I run 6 or so miles a day at work and don't think anything of it. I run a 8 minute mile at each break and don't get out of breath, don't break a sweat. But I had to put in the sweat pouring, lung exploding work for several months straight to get where I am now. No free lunch.

I appreciate the sentiment, but if I push through it I could die. I'm not being dramatic.

I'm well aware of the work that needs to be put in, but it's not simply a case of breathlessness, or lack of endurance. I am asthmatic.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    edited November 2016
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    "Cycling is fine for breathing for me, but does absolutely nothing for my heart rate!"

It's as hard as you want to make it so if your HR isn't rising you need to work harder. You aren't supposed to be just spinning your legs you are supposed to be putting power through the pedals. If indoors add more resistance while maintaining a good cadence (80 - 100 for example).

Cycling is perhaps the most controllable of cardio exercise which is why I would have recommended it for you.

Thanks Sij, I am aware of the mechanics of riding a bike.

The issue here is of course, that as soon as the work goes up (I think as I said in an earlier post giving the example of spin class) the issue with the flare up begins :(

I have a very healthy heart, the problem being, my lungs do not match up to the same level of fitness - so there is a massive discrepancy between the work my heart can do and the work my lungs can do.

• Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Forget about the heartrate reading! Just train at a speed you're able to train at. That means: try to put in some variation
    1. use a day where you go so slow that you're still able to talk, and make this session longer. If that means that you're walking on then so be it. It will get better sooner or later and you'll be able to run slowly one day. This is what gives you endurance in the long run.
    2. warm up properly. Try to run or run faster than on the slow day. keep the session fairly short. You might not be able to keep up for long but that doesn't matter.
    3. chose a third session inbetween both speeds.

It also helps to start with a programme such a C25K. It has you walk and run slowly in alternations during a session. Again, go slowly. No need to race.

Thanks, the only reason I am looking at my heart rate is because it is not being challenged. I just wanted to know whether people had ideas of cardio that would be less stressful for my lungs, but allow me to raise my heart rate. It was a long shot, but always worth asking imo.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses.

It has become clear that I was asking a stupid question - I simply wanted to know if anyone had ideas of how to raise heart rate with less stress on the lungs, naturally, that can't really be done. So it's just a case of building it all back up.

I appreciate all of your input, so thanks very much.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Thanks Sij, I am aware of the mechanics of riding a bike.

The issue here is of course, that as soon as the work goes up (I think as I said in an earlier post giving the example of spin class) the issue with the flare up begins :(

I have a very healthy heart, the problem being, my lungs do not match up to the same level of fitness - so there is a massive discrepancy between the work my heart can do and the work my lungs can do.

I was suggesting the controllability of cycling (especially indoor trainers) might let you find a sweet spot where your lungs are OK but you are getting some work done. A Spinning class is normally driven along by an instructor setting pace/intensity for a class rather than the personal pace you need.
    LISS exercise gets a bad reputation on here but does have great health and fitness benefits - everyone seems obsessed with HIIT these days! :)
    Hope you find a solution as it must be distressing and frustrating.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I was suggesting the controllability of cycling (especially indoor trainers) might let you find a sweet spot where your lungs are OK but you are getting some work done. A Spinning class is normally driven along by an instructor setting pace/intensity for a class rather than the personal pace you need.
    LISS exercise gets a bad reputation on here but does have great health and fitness benefits - everyone seems obsessed with HIIT these days! :)
    Hope you find a solution as it must be distressing and frustrating.

Thanks Sij, it is REALLY frustrating and I also feel kind of silly, I used to be able to run 12 miles without collapsing - but of course it took me years of running every day, and lots of painful flare ups to get to that point of conditioning, then I just stopped running ./headdesk

Anyway, your suggestion is really appreciated, thank you :)