If you've had a breast reduction...

Options
RunningMom1038
RunningMom1038 Posts: 144 Member
Help me out, please! I've pretty much had enough of my DDDs and I just found out that my insurance will cover a reduction under certain circumstances. If you've had this done and don't mind sharing your experience, please do. I want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly.

How difficult is it to get insurance to cover it? Was the pain of recovery tolerable? Do you feel it was worth it? How long did recovery take? Those are just a few questions that I have.

Replies

• RunningMom1038
    Options
    2fw188helwvu.jpg

This is one reason I want this surgery and "shoulder grooves" from bra straps is listed as a reason my insurance would cover it. I have back and neck pain, also, but really no way to know if it is caused by having XL breasts.
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    You need to tell them what kind of problems your breast size causes, e.g. back and neck pain. A friend of mine had it done
  • Carriehelene
    Carriehelene Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    One big risk is loss of sensation or pain in the nipple area. This can be temporary or permanent. Think that's not a big deal? Evaluate just how often your nipples are stimulated on a regular basis. Not for or against breast reduction, just thought you should know what you could be facing. OTOH, I know a couple women who've had it done, and were thrilled. It's a very personal decision, and each woman has to decide for herself if the possible side effects are worth it.
  • Rockymountainhigh42
    Options
    I notice this post is a few months old but I had one done this past December 2016. Best decision I have ever made. my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. My insurance paid for it after I met my deductible. I am now 7 weeks post op and feeling great. My recovery was pretty easy and I am starting to slowly get back to my normal activities. I was a DDD and now I am closer to a mid C. I don't have any sensation problems, everything seems to be working just fine with the exception of cold Colorado days... then I definitely feel the cold more than I did before. I cant wait to get back in the gym and catch the rest of my body up to the new ta-ta's so everything matches. If you are considering It or have more specific questions, I would be happy to answer.
  • stahlhaus
    stahlhaus Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    There is a great website called Real Self where people post their own stories. I have learned a lot from reading others' experiences. They also rate their doctors, the staff, etc. but mainly tell their own stories from consult, pre-op, post-op recovery, etc. They have an app for Apple, but not Android. Best wishes to you!
  • RunningMom1038
    Options
    Thank you, ladies, for replying! Since I posted this, I have actually lost almost 2 inches off my bust, which is shocking. I've never lost there before. So I cancelled my consultation and will wait until I've lost a little more weight and see if I'm still big enough to need some extra help.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Thank you, ladies, for replying! Since I posted this, I have actually lost almost 2 inches off my bust, which is shocking. I've never lost there before. So I cancelled my consultation and will wait until I've lost a little more weight and see if I'm still big enough to need some extra help.

Definitely wait. I hated my breasts before I lost the weight... hanging and the only thing you could see! They're so much more manageable for me now that I've lost weight. I went from 36 DDD to 34 D (so that's 4 cups lost or something). I would have been left without much if I had got reduction surgery. And they don't sag or anything either.