Obsession vs success

Options
So i have lost weight a few times in the past im quite he yoyo dieter, but my problem is i can only lose weigh when i obsessively count and weigh etc, to the point that i made those around me uncomfortable etc.. i wasnt anorexic or bulemic like i ate n stuff but everything would be this obsession with grams and exact minutes walked etc... however i find that now im trying to log things more generally, its harder to lose weight and i keep being scared of getting obsessed again but i also dont want to make exuses im not sure what to do and i keep binging out of frustration which rlly isnt helping at all :/

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Do not worry about those around you. You are doing this for you, not them. :) If what you were doing was giving you desirable results (not losing too much too fast), then go back to that. You do you. :)

Before most of my family was on the weighing food and calorie counting band wagon, they used to question and even make fun of my food weighing and logging. This is where prelogging and preweighing my food (food prep) for days or a week ahead made a huge difference. I did this when others were out/in bed. This also took a lot of stress out of weighing and logging as I went. Now, I just prep for the day ahead.
  • Baddogbeanie
    Baddogbeanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Stop trying to lose weight and start changing the way you eat, a healthier lifestyle will get it done and keep it done. Logging will then just be a helpful tool for calories and knowing your eating the right foods. Take your time, get healthy not just thinner.. add me if ya like.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Stop trying to lose weight and start changing the way you eat, a healthier lifestyle will get it done and keep it done. Logging will then just be a helpful tool for calories and knowing your eating the right foods. Take your time, get healthy not just thinner.. add me if ya like.

Logging is highly recommended for many reasons.
    It keeps us accountable, honest, and can be a great reference in case weight loss slows down. By weighing and logging, we have the power to know exactly how much we are consuming, and how many calories we have left. Logging binge days is also useful.

In many cases, worrying about 'eating the right foods' can actually cause more problems for many. All that is needed for weight loss is a calorie deficit. Weight loss can be daunting enough without having to worry about eating the right foods. Many of us have lost quite a bit of weight and kept it off including their favourite meals and snacks. I would have failed 90lbs ago if I cut all my favourite treats out. Elimination of foods and food groups was the exact reason why I'd personally fail at losing weight due to obsessing about what I couldn't have, then binging.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,724 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Actually both cerise and baddog made excellent points. But, just as importantly, the first behaviour modification that you need to make is included in your post: "and i keep binging out of frustration".

It's not like your picture shows someone who needs to lose a lot of weight. You may just find out that if you can control and eliminate emotional eating all of a sudden you may not even have to worry about your regular eating that much.

And perhaps look into directing your energy towards recomposition as opposed to food restriction.
  • celumie
    celumie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks guys these were all amazing points :D and as to my weight im in the overweight catagory according to my bmi but i was starting to tip into the obsese area so i decided that i really had to do something, i might try to pre log my food and see if that works that way i could still allow some nice foods?
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    celumie wrote: »
    Wow thanks guys these were all amazing points :D and as to my weight im in the overweight catagory according to my bmi but i was starting to tip into the obsese area so i decided that i really had to do something, i might try to pre log my food and see if that works that way i could still allow some nice foods?

There is no reason why you can't have any foods you want. You just need to have the portion size that fits your calories.

Many people are similar and get obsessed (to some degree) about calories and exercise. As long as you know how to turn it down a few notches and chill when needed, it's not a bad thing. Just remember that a couple of days a month of higher calories or missed exercise won't have too much effect, as long as they don't become more frequent.