Nervous about leaving slimming club

Options
Hi...... I've been trying to lose weight for the last ten years (now 50). Going through menopause isn't helping. For last two years I've religiously gone a slimming club only missing three weigh ins in that time. At the beginning I started well losing over one and a half stone and only ten pounds from target. However over the time I've put it all back on even though I kept going group and presently I'm now only three and a half pounds less than when I started. Obviously can't carry on and keep spending money for no results. Decided to come back here and try again with this site. Have no excuses for not exercising as I've got home gym, a dog and Microsoft fitness band. Just really nervous about leaving group for some reason. I'm from uk.

Replies

• yoyopensioner
    yoyopensioner Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Give up slimming club, you're losing nothing if it's not working. Put the money you would have spent there aside, use the time you would have spent there using your home gym/walking the dog, log your calories on here and make sure you always have a deficit. Once you've lost the weight, and you will, enjoy spending the money you've saved on a new look. Feel free to add me as a friend if you want someone for support, I have 2.5 stone to go to reach my target.
  • von66
    von66 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Think one of my problems is until I was 40 I was never overweight I could gain weight if I wasn't careful but always stayed around seven and a half or eight stone even after three children. Then suddenly boom two stone on at 40 and now after 10 years of clubs and gyms another two stone on top of that. I get drawn into the social side of things too much then forget why I'm there. I think I still see myself as I was years ago and not fully accepted how I am now which sounds ridiculous I know because obviously the scales, clothes sizes and loss of fitness levels should be enough. I did manage to climb Snowden for charity this summer which took over 7 hours in total.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    toolzz wrote: »
    Weight has nothing to do with age....you need to eat less

^^ this
    You're in control of your intake, so starting logging your food here, track it as accurately as possible and you will lose.
  • von66
    Options
    I do find it harder with menopause. Hoping get treadmill set up this weekend. Started tracking calories today.
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Good luck von66! You can do it!
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I'd be nervous about staying if it's not working for me.

If you're nervous because you feel you'll be walking away from their support, get other members' contact information so that you can stay in touch. Plus you can get tons of support here!

Changing venues, however, will not do anything for your weight loss unless you get (as @RunRutheeRun put it) in control of your intake, so starting logging your food here, track it as accurately as possible
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    von66 wrote: »
    Thanks. I think its become more of a habit going to club now. I'm not going for the right reasons now. Calorie counting will give me more freedom of choice.

Exactly!
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    von66 wrote: »
    Thanks. I think its become more of a habit going to club now. I'm not going for the right reasons now. Calorie counting will give me more freedom of choice.

Felt the same way about Weight Watchers. I admit to an emotional attachment to it. Meetings were my escape before I started building new friendships (started weight loss journey in new town). I still attend occasional meetings because they do address behavioral and emotional aspects of weight control that I feel can't be addressed here though. Its the face to face contact. Otherwise, it all comes down to calorie control that can be learned and managed here. If you feel that program is not working for you and you want to leave, don't be scared to.
  • von66
    Options
    Thanks everyone. It makes matters harder because I help out and do all the booking in so theres more of an attachment otherwise I would have left long ago. To be honest ever since I became part of the team I've only really gained weight. I have to put myself first though.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Maybe find a different social club to join if it's not working out for you.

It is important to have a social life maybe this one just isn't for you.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Once you've been here for a while and get to know everyone, MFP will feel like family :heart: It even comes built in with love/hate relationships like regular families :tongue:
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    But I do think age has something to do with weight--I can't eat as much as I could when I was in my 30's or even my 40's. That said, the concept of eating at a deficit is the same at any age. Von66, I'm 55 and gained nearly 30 lbs when I went through menopause, starting at age 50. I got on here almost 2 years ago, lost it pretty fast and have been maintaining within a range of about 5 lbs since then. This site really helped me when I couldn't seem to lose doing the things I used to do to keep my weight in check when I was younger. Be sure to log every thing you put in your mouth as accurately as you can. Exercise to give yourself more calories--I lost eating back every one of my exercise calories with a goal of 1200-1400 calories net a day. I was highly motivated to exercise because I knew it would give me more calories to eat. And be sure to make some friends on here and interact with them. They are what keeps many of us going despite the inevitable setbacks and slip-ups!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It's easy to want to cling to things that have worked for us in the past. Think about it this way: If you give it a solid go on your own, using MFP, and it doesn't work, you can can always go back.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I am 63 now and when I was 50 it was much harder to lose the weight. After a few years I got back to normal. It is something we have to go thru but I am sure I would have done better if I had MFP.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'm the same, have struggled for years, I gave up my Slimmming Group because it just didn't work for me. ( not knocking it for other people, it does work for others). I do believe age is a factor, as is the menopause.

Tha is working for me, it's not easy, I joined last year and then stopped logging etc but I joined a gym in April and have logged every day since and whilst the scales haven't moved much I'm down 2 dress sizes and have lots of compliments on how my body has changed.

I have come to realise the scales, or my body will never be where I want to be, but I may need to change my focus to what's possible.

Good luck with whatever you decide, feel free to add me if you want X