Eating honey packets during a run??

Options
ylor89
ylor89 Posts: 105 Member
Runners...have you tried this? I run early in the morning before breakfast, and I start to feel myself running low on energy about 20-30 minutes into my run. I could try to add in a very, very light breakfast... A friend of mine suggested energy gels, but I read that honey is just as effective. I'm wondering if any of you use honey packets during your run.

Replies

• TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I have tried this, and I had to stop running just so I could swallow the honey and breathe again. Now pleasant. I started chocking on it the instant I put it in my mouth. I love the little energy jelly beans. They go down easy and they taste amazing.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I've used gels but never honey packets.

I do, however, also make my own homemade gel that is mostly honey with a bit of molasses , a pinch of salt and a bit of water to make it less viscous. Pure honey is missing the electrolytes found in gels (molasses contains potassium and the salt gives you a bit of sodium).

I'm surprised that you'd be running low on energy so early in your run - I suspect it's more mental than physical as (assuming you're consuming enough carbs and running for a little while) your stored glycogen should see you through about 90 minutes even in a fasted state.

I hate running with food in my stomach but if you need a little pre-run snack have a banana.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I personally have not tried, but it would not seem user friendly and probably not filling enough relative to size. A packet of KFC honey "sauce" yields 30 cals/8 carbs, and a slightly larger packet of Gu is 100 cals and 25 carbs with some other stimulants/supplements in it.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    What you eat the night before fuels your mornings. Include complex carbs in your evening meals.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,266 Member
    Options
    I eat half a banana before I go. Just enough to make me feel like I've got something in me, but not filling at all. After I get home and shower, a real breakfast.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Honey Stingers has a gel that's main ingrediant is honey.