No such thing as "Fattening" food or inherently bad food

Options
magerum
magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
Here is a link and short snip from a very good article, with links. If you have the time there are links to actual scientific studies that support the claims made. Long story short, you can eat what you want and still hit your goals. There’s no need to demonize any food or food group.

http://www.schwarzenegger.com/fitness/post/the-truth-about-fattening-foods-they-dont-exist

No Foods are Inherently Fattening!
Don’t believe me? Consider this study showing that “reduced-calorie diets result in clinically meaningful weight loss regardless of which macronutrients they emphasize.” -

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19246357

Or perhaps this study which found “diets differing substantially in glycemic load induce comparable long-term weight loss.”-

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17413101

Still skeptical? Mull over the astounding results of Professor Mark Haub who lost 27lbs and improved markers of health while eating a diet solely consisting of Twinkies.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

The evidence is clear: No foods are inherently fattening!
Flexible dieting

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11707550

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Good informative post, to be ruined by people who will tell you that eating McDonald's burgers (which contain deadly chemicals and fake meat) will ruin your insides, give you cancer, and halt your progress.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Good informative post, to be ruined by people who will tell you that eating McDonald's burgers (which contain deadly chemicals and fake meat) will ruin your insides, give you cancer, and halt your progress.

I have hope that they do not. Good info!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories.

Minor correction: The "Twinkie Diet" professor didn't eat a diet consisting only of twinkies.

Also, MFP/calorie counting is basically cheating life with enhanced information. The issue with a lot of "fattening" foods is not that they have special mutant calories - they're just really easy to pound down and intake massive calories since people don't seem to self-regulate particularly well with them.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You mean I didn't need to subject myself to the master cleanse and avoid eating carbs after 2PM or take green coffee bean extract? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Common sense......expect some opposition! (I still avoid McDonalds because i don't like their food, I prefer burgers from Harvy's)
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    IN!
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I thought we were supposed to stay away from certain things... hydrogenated, for example?

So many experts, no one agrees :-)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I thought we were supposed to stay away from certain things... hydrogenated, for example?

Hydrogenated doesn't mean bad. Partially hydrogenated oils contain trans fats, which are a type of unsaturated fat and are pretty much automatically bad. Not much stuff has any appreciable amount of trans fat these days. The trans fat that is naturally-occurring in beef doesn't seem to be bad. Fully hydrogenated oils are saturated fats and not trans fats. They're fine.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    A lot of dieting advice is based on a completely different frame of reference than MFP use. It's a big issue with conflicting info on losing weight.

Do you need to stay away from snacking at night? Not if you're meeting your MFP goals.
    Should you try to reduce eating ice cream, pasta, etc? Not if you're meeting your MFP goals.

What if you don't have MFP goals? Then maybe not snacking at night and eating less calorie-dense food would help achieve the calorie deficit required to lose weight. Pretty basic stuff.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    Oh....me smells trouble a brewin"

Does it smell like a toasted Pop Tart?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Hydrogenated doesn't mean bad. Partially hydrogenated oils contain trans fats, which are a type of unsaturated fat and are pretty much automatically bad. Not much stuff has any appreciable amount of trans fat these days. The trans fat that is naturally-occurring in beef doesn't seem to be bad. Fully hydrogenated oils are saturated fats and not trans fats. They're fine.

This. The FDA actually puts restrictions on trans fat... to you know... protect us from bad stuff in our food... cause that's like... their job!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Except for asparagus. That **** is inherently bad. Blegh.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Going to go out on a limb and say that eating pure Crisco is probably not doing you any favors, even if you're within calories. Other than that I'm pretty open.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I often spank my food when it's bad.

tumblr_mm05z94nef1s32go3o1_500.gif
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Is this some sort of game to see how many times people can say the same thing over and over again?

Can I just pick a winner and the world can move on?

Eenie, meenie, minee, MOE!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    Oh....me smells trouble a brewin"

Does it smell like a toasted Pop Tart?

Whoa....it really does. I just purchased a box of Chocolate chip cookie dough and a box of Cookies and Cream. The Cookie dough was great as always but the cookies and cream needs to be toasted, no toaster in my ambulance.

My toaster oven has a Pop Tart setting. The the peanut butter and chocolate peanut butter are good not toasted. You know, for future reference. :bigsmile:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Except for asparagus. That **** is inherently bad. Blegh.

NO IT'S NOT! :noway: