My deadlift sucked

Options
Sued0nim
Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
Seriously could not get form right

Haven't deadlifted for a few weeks (gym refurb has limited floor space and gym has been swamped) ...my form was pretty good before ...a session with trainer and wham, I turned into some baby elephant noob with no seeming conscious control of where my body was going

For an entire set

How can I completely deskill so quickly?

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear it.

Were you using the same wts as b4 the 2 wk hiatus? If so, my only guess is that the layoff was too long and that you need to deload a bit to get back on track.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    So my question, and something I think has been throwing me off my game

My deadlift slides down my legs so touching gently on way down, is that wrong? I got that from some videos / threads somewhere. Trainer says it shouldn't, it should it be held slightly away from legs
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    It wasn't heavy sets at all ..60kg maximum

I'm left feeling a little daunted but know I just have to go do it
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I found my form started to go a bit when I got too confident with it. I didn't focus as much because I got used to it. I don't use this program, but I did use this web site to get my form down. https://stronglifts.com/deadlift/ It goes into a lot of detail about form. It can get redundant, but you don't absolutely have to read the whole page to get something from it.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i've been taught contact all the way too. my kneecaps know all about it.
  • Sued0nim
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I don't contact going up for some reason, from a midfoot bar position

That's what he says..."did you touch on way up? Then don't on way down"

I was seriously crap on Thursday though, wasn't just bar position, everything was out..mind games

(My squat was fine though so there's that)
  • Lesley2603
    Lesley2603 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My trainer has me have contact when doing DL. I had a day a couple of weeks ago when I literally couldn't do anything, bench press, assisted pull ups, everything i tried I failed at. My trainer just said everyone has one of those days, don't worry about it, sure enough the next session I smashed it.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »

I was seriously crap on Thursday though, wasn't just bar position, everything was out..mind games

In that case, what your trainer said makes sense. I was going to disagree with him at first, but not now.

If you're doing something different with your trainer, then I'm not surprised it feels "off." And when changing something, it often (but not always) takes a few times of doing it before it feels "right" and you can increase weight.

Otherwise, I don't really have anything without more info (like a video).
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I think when I hurt my back I was too far out from my shins.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    So my question, and something I think has been throwing me off my game

My deadlift slides down my legs so touching gently on way down, is that wrong? I got that from some videos / threads somewhere. Trainer says it shouldn't, it should it be held slightly away from legs

Your trainer is wrong. Closer to the body is safer and stronger lifting. I wear long workout pants so that my shins don't have scrapes from the barbell.
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I think your trainer is mistaken--simple physics says you want your legs and the weight directly under you. But to answer your question, any time you change your form things feel all wonky for a while. I believe it has to do with muscle memory working against you, possibly along with exercising some muscles that weren't previously doing as much work in the past.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

In that case, what your trainer said makes sense. I was going to disagree with him at first, but not now.

If you're doing something different with your trainer, then I'm not surprised it feels "off." And when changing something, it often (but not always) takes a few times of doing it before it feels "right" and you can increase weight.

Otherwise, I don't really have anything without more info (like a video).

He's never lead me wrong before and is an exceptional trainer but my body and mind are both fighting against this adjustment

My bar tracks very close to my legs it just doesn't touch up and does down
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If it's possible for you to post A video, I would be very curious to see what looks like.

• Sued0nim
    Options
    Well I'm hoping it was a one off maelstrom of crapness

But if I can work out how to take a video and I'm not too embarrassed in my gym and I repeat my craptitude I will
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Anytime I take time off from a lift it's a couple of sessions until I get my groove back. Taping every set helps assess what is wonky and fix it.

Also, when I pull, I keep the bar a tiny millimetre away from my body.