gained weight ...again

Options
Thought I had this sorted & lost 4lbs last week having gained 2 the previous week despite eating just under the calories suggested taking into account 6 hours of swimming each week. Now this week have gained 4lbs despite again eating just under recommended calories. Can't do more exercise due to my health, can't stop my meds or would not be able to move at all. Am so dispirited as have been counting calories for almost 2 years now to no avail , am 59 years old & beginning to feel I shall be a fat person for the rest of my life which makes me so sad.Still drinking the green tea which I thought was helping. Doctor won't give me anything to help due to stomach problems so seems I am stuck. Any ideas?
:sad:

Replies

• Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Someone told me to watch my sodium intake, because it can cause a lot of water weight gain and quickly. I had gained a few pounds last week overnight after a night out with my sister-in-law drinking margaritas, and my sodium intake went through the roof! I have watched my intake the last few days and now most of it disappeared overnight last night! Start tracking little things like sodium, and watch your breakdown of foods. Calories are good to count, but need a balanced mix of food, so even if it is low calorie, it may not be what your body needs. I go over my sugar intake everyday, but it is due to eating fresh fruits, not refined sugars. Also, has your doctor ever checked your thyroid? It can cause a lot of issues with weight.
  • batty5
    batty5 Posts: 193
    Options
    No thyroid is ok as checked regularly, my meds say the can cause weigh gain but cannot do without them. My diet is healthy with a good variety & little salt so am at a loss what to do. Weather here is very humid this week & think that may cause water retention as am drinking loads of water & green tea (no sugar) but peeing much less even though I am not sweating.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Remember, if you're exercising you're building muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat and while your scale may say you've gone up or down, it's really how you feel & how your clothes fit. Sodium does play a huge part in weight gain/loss, so if you're eating high sodium & not drinking enough water, you'll see major fluctuations & any "imperfections" will show through your skin. When you're hydrated properly you'll feel & see a difference. I have to limit my sodium intake because I'm super-sensitive to it (only 35 but have always been like that), but I also take a daily water pill (Michael's Potassium). I weigh more now than I did 2 years ago, but I fit in the same clothes because I've built muscle and burned fat.
    What ever your do, please do not get discouraged by ups & downs, it happens to all of us (you can see up to a 5lbs fluctuation in the span of 1 day based on what you eat & how your body processes). Don't give up - EVER - and you can do this!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • batty5
    Options
    Thank you for the encouragement & although I do not intend to give up am very depressed about it all but at least I am not in the wheelchair they said I would be & I shall continue to eat healthily & maybe one day it will begin to work. I drink loads of green tea & or water but I do have stomach problems & my digestive system is, according to my consultant , the slowest he has ever seen so guess that coupled with meds make it more difficult but, hopefully, not impossible.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Try taking accidopholis & a digestive enzyme (Jarrow Formula Jarrowdopholis & Source Naturals Rejuvenzym: order on Vitacost.com). Trust me, a slug could beat my digestive system without moving! I know where you're at:flowerforyou: My Mom takes "Attune" and swears by it as well (I inherited her slow-to-stop digestion, too).
  • batty5
    Options
    Thank you for that tip. Yesterday I went to my local Holland & Barrett ( I am in UK) & bought some, also some slimatee & a detox tea & by this morning I weighed 6lbs yes 6lbs less than yesterday!!! So despite the ups & downs I now weigh 10lbs less than I did when I stepped off a plane 5 weeks ago & just over 5lbs less than I did when I joined here. When I see weight loss continues I may indulge in a weight loss ticker!!!! Thanks again for the tip.