Lower back pain!

Options
Looking for a bit of advice please.

I've discovered that lying down flat causes lower back pain. It disappears if I arch my back, or turn onto my side, but otherwise it's really sore!

Any ideas on what could be causing it, or how to stop it??

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    See a doctor. Back pain isn't to be messed around with
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Yes, see a doctor. Make sure you didn't damage anything that won't heal on its own.

To relieve the pressure on your back when you lie flat, put a small pillow under your knees. When you lie on your side put the pillow between your legs near the knees.

After you get cleared by the doctor there are a few things you can do to help with the issue. But first see the doc since doing them without knowing could cause more damage.

Good luck.

FWIW - I have been dealing with back issues off and on for 20+ years. I have issues mostly when I stop keeping my core and legs in shape. YMMV.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I found the behind-the-back deadlift helped with my lower back pain.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    mgalovic01 wrote: »

there are so many different things that can make your lower back hurt. it's best to see someone who knows how to isolate it to a specific cause first.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    mgalovic01 wrote: »

there are so many different things that can make your lower back hurt. it's best to see someone who knows how to isolate it to a specific cause first.

There are also a lot of things you can try before throwing your money into the bottomless pit we call the healthcare industry.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Low back pain issues can be due to excess weight combined with weak core muscles ... or they could be due to something more serious. You should rule out the serious issues first, then go from there.

When you know for sure what you're dealing with, come back and I might have plenty of suggestions for you. I deal with lots of low back pain thanks to degenerative disc disease.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I have been dealing with back pain do to arthritis for the last eight years. I went to a chiropractor and physical therapy. Once I became active again, and lost some weight, I'm much better. I would see a Dr. and see if there is a medical reason for the pain first. If not, you could make it worse.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    You can try some easy mobility exercises. If those don't help, you might need to see a physical therapist or sports doctor, since general doctors often just give generic advice like "rest and ice it", without identifying the problem. :+1:
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Yes, go see a doctor ASAP or a good physical therapist. There's a lot of things that can cause this problem and he or she should likely be able to narrow it down.

But for practically 90% of back issues, it's ANTI-INFLAMMATORIES (like ibuprofin), HEAT or ICE (there's debate on this, although it often comes down to "what makes your back feel better"), and GENTLE STRETCHING. Do not stay on your back for prolonged periods--this leads to more back issues when muscles turn to mush.