Fiber Supplements

Options
I am 63, work out 30 min's x5 or 6 times a wk, don't walk much during this time of yr and have lost a total of 30lbs. I am at 156 and put on 6 lbs since starting a dr ordered fiber supplement. I have weighed 150 for a yr or so; now my goal is to get down to 135-140. I use a food diary and eat under what I burn. Admittedly I've only used the fiber supplement for 2 wks but am frustrated w/the weight gain since I started. Apparently I don't eat enough fiber so I've tried to increase this by adding more + the supplement since a colonoscopy showed pockets that never go away. With the holidays and all it's hard enough to stay on track but I'm about ready to throw this fiber supplement right out the window.
Help!

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    This truly is an oddity.. I was in the same boat. I started adding 25g psyllium husk powder everyday and right around that time my weight loss slowed to a crawl, my calories were on track too, I can't explain it.
    I don't want to give it up as i need more fibre than the average bear, so will keep plodding along.

Hopefully someone will provide some insight, as I'm stumped.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I know that sudden increases in fiber from food can actually cause constipation (which means more weight from food that hasn't passed through your intestines), especially if you aren't getting adequate liquids and/or fats. I would think the same thing could happen from fiber supplements. If you think that might be what's going on, you could try increasing liquids and fats. I also find that decreased activity can contribute to constipation, so you might make an extra effort to get more activity. Go to a mall and walk around, or walk on a tread mill if walking outside is a problem.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Huh. I've actually had the opposite reaction to psyllium husk. The only time I ever had issues with fiber stalling weight loss and slowing down the assembly line, was when I was using 18g of xanthan gum per day for fluff. Stuff turns into a brick when it hits water.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    The psyllium definitely keeps things running like clockwork for me. Zero issues with constipation since i started taking it.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to up your water intake a bit more than you normally drank pre fiber supplement.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »
    Maybe you need to up your water intake a bit more than you normally drank pre fiber supplement.

That definitely can't hurt. I tend to pull in a gallon or more of liquid per day anyway, due to the fact that I take multiple supplements that can cause dehydration.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I take a teaspoon of psyllium w/my morning protein shake every day and sometimes add another teaspoon if I'm consuming a lot of protein drinks during the day. This helps to prevent high protein "runs."

I'm in maintenance now but have previously lost 35# in past 6 months while taking psyillium. So, it's had no effect on wt loss with me.